Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Discuss.

He had his day years ago... not anymore, sorry.

Let him fight whats brewed in the UFC the last two years at HW, we'll see where he stands.

Or even Over(rated)eem, who is not on steroids. OH! He put on 30 pounds of lean muscle over the course of 4 years - he's on steroids. How'd he do that!!

·
The Title Guy
18,057 Posts
Overeem

Reminder, when he was fighting at middleweight in PRIDE (lightheavyweight under Unified Rules) he was starving himself and not lifting weights. Now factor in him eating more regularly, lifting weights, taking regular protein supplements, and passing the drug test for this last event; HE DIDN'T TAKE ROIDS!

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
I don't think Alastair is overrated for one minute....

He has some solid victories... most of his losses came at a LHW where he was severely dehydrating and starving himself....

I think he's come into his own as a HW compeditor and is continuing to show improvement....

·
On a Rampage
1,845 Posts
I don't think Alastair is overrated for one minute....

He has some solid victories... most of his losses came at a LHW where he was severely dehydrating and starving himself....

I think he's come into his own as a HW compeditor and is continuing to show improvement....
Alastair has one win over a ranked HW and that was Brett Rogers, who's ranking was highly suspect. Overeem's HW conquests are has beens and never will bes. I think Fedor is in the top ten p4p, but not the top 5.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I think Overeem is overrated when people say he's a top 2-3 HW but I do think he has the potential to be there one day but he is not there yet. I have seen his K-1 fights with Hari and Remy but I honestly think people are reading too much into it. K-1 striking in K-1 is alot different than MMA striking in MMA. Not having the possiblity of a takedown changes things immensely, changes a possibly stance, chages mindset's, style's, aggressiveness. I dont buy that nobody can stand with Overeem based on his recent K-1 fights because in MMA he isnt fighting under K-1 rules. I think Overeem is very talented and I love watching him fight but here are the facts. The only non can HW he has beaten is Rogers who has done nothing in his career but beat AA who as much as I used to love him is no more than a gatekeeper these days. I would love to see Overeem fight Fedor or fight in the UFC but no way do I think he would run through the UFC HW's or automatically tool anyone standing based on performances in a completely different sport.

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
Alastair has one win over a ranked HW and that was Brett Rogers, who's ranking was highly suspect. Overeem's HW conquests are has beens and never will bes. I think Fedor is in the top ten p4p, but not the top 5.
I like his victorys over Sergi and Rogers... even though Kharinotov isn't world ranked he's tough.. and he's 1-1 with him I'd love to see a rubber match someday..

His two victories over Vitor Belfort are impressive ... I'd like to see him avenge Werdum, that would be a statement.

I still think he's improving as a HW.. he's looking like he's putting it together well these days...

I can't wait to see him fight Fedor. That fight just looks like it's going to be entertaining.

I think Overeem is overrated when people say he's a top 2-3 HW but I do think he has the potential to be there one day but he is not there yet..

Do people really say that though? I've never heard that said that he was top 2 or three.

·
On a Rampage
1,845 Posts
I like his victorys over Sergi and Rogers... even though Kharinotov isn't world ranked he's tough.. and he's 1-1 with him I'd love to see a rubber match someday..
I don't see Kharinotov as a very big deal. Similar to a win over Gonzaga, Kongo, or Heath. I think Rogers is a bum. So he beat Arlovski, doesn't everyone do that now?

His two victories over Vitor Belfort are impressive ... I'd like to see him avenge Werdum, that would be a statement.
By that logic Randy Couture, Chuck Liddell, Tito Ortiz, and Dan Henderson are all impressive HWs. I don't want to see him avenge Werdum, because that means he won't fight Fedor for 18 months.

I still think he's improving as a HW.. he's looking like he's putting it together well these days...

I can't wait to see him fight Fedor. That fight just looks like it's going to be entertaining.
I agree he is improving, but I think his ground game needs to improve to fight the division's elite. I think he'll have a hard time with Fedor, because I think Fedor can get him on the ground. After that I think it's not long before Fedor gets an armbar.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I think his technical ability is unquestioned, but considering on who he's faced recently i'd have to agree with you on P4P rating.
I think WERDUM will offer a stronger test than most will predict, and Alistair could offer some big problems, but if he wants to cement a legacy, he should go to UFC, AS M1 are destroying him/his place in the History books at the moment,IMO.

·
SikWithIt
2,539 Posts
Discuss.

He had his day years ago... not anymore, sorry.
This thread is horrible your talking about a guy who has never lost a fight,what happens if Fedor dominates Werdum and then Overeem? You think a scrub like Brock has a chance against Fedor because he Beat Mir. lol

·
On a Rampage
1,845 Posts
This thread is horrible your talking about a guy who has never lost a fight,what happens if Fedor dominates Werdum and then Overeem? You think a scrub like Brock has a chance against Fedor because he Beat Mir. lol
Fedor has lost a fight. This argument from the Fedor worshipers always bothers me. Did a ref make a bad call? Probably. Does it change the fact that he lost? Nope. You can't rewrite history because of referees or judges. You can't make up your own record for a fighter. Even if you did take away Fedor's loss. He should have lost the following fight against Arona. Fedor is a great fighter, but he has a loss.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
And it doesn't help that he is a part owner!
Anyone ever actually watch an M1 Global fight?

Maybe you should check out their website - "M-1Global.com: The offical website of Fedor Emelianenko and M-1 Global"

List of fighters: 1 nobody and Fedor.

Tagline - 'Become a champion - Accepting applications now!'

I don't question Fedor's great wins 5 or so years ago and his record. He's just not #1 anymore, if he wanted Overeem for Strikeforce championship, the fight was his - Rogers was a replacement. Right now he's a name and #5-10 ranked HW in MMA.

·
SikWithIt
2,539 Posts
Fedor has lost a fight. This argument from the Fedor worshipers always bothers me. Did a ref make a bad call? Probably. Does it change the fact that he lost? Nope. You can't rewrite history because of referees or judges. You can't make up your own record for a fighter. Even if you did take away Fedor's loss. He should have lost the following fight against Arona. Fedor is a great fighter, but he has a loss.
Loss-No longer in the possession, care, or control of someone or something.
Don't call people Fedor worshipers just because you have no idea what your talking about.No one lost that match it should have been no contest and rescheduled for another day like every other tournament,good example would be Rodrigo Nogueira no contest.Your the only who thinks its an argument
everyone knows including mma fighters that it should have been no contest and that he avenged that so called loss with with ease.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts