Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
It wasn't that popular in the U.K. either.

The UFC only got about 12,000 paid attendance in an arena that (from what I understand) can seat almost twice that many people. And there were actually local fighters on the card, which there aren't for UFC 112.

The reason the UFC is holding the event in Abu Dhabi has nothing to do with the popularity of the sport in the region and everything to do with trying to (a) make the UFC into an international brand, which they are most emphatically not right now, and (b) lend recognition to Abu Dhabi as a Las Vegas-esque landmark.

Obviously, for the people on here, the former is more important than the later. The later is important to the UFC in that as Abu Dhabi grows (and it will) the fight culture that will be attached to its growing reputation is MMA (and the UFC, in particular) and not boxing, as it is in Vegas.

The former is the short term goal, and while it's clear that the UFC has a long way to go in cultivating a local following in the UAE (a much longer way than it had to go getting fans in the U.K., because of the presence of British fighters in the UFC) If/when they do, it's going to be a huge win for the sport in terms of cultivating international respect, which is what the UFC seems to be slowly working towards.

·
of Nazareth
10,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All very true Ironman... but it was still a funny vid, no? I'm still laughing. I'm sure it wasnt supposed to be a serious critique of the UFCs popularity in the region.

Anyway,

Ive heard some reports that due to huge demand they've made more seats available. However, there were still plenty of seats available on the website before just before that report.

I also read that ticket sales have been disappointing elsewhere. I'm kicking my self for not saving the links to the reports.

I think the UFC were trying to counter the disappointing sales reports, by releasing their own story with the whole, "due to popular demand, we've made more seats available" theme. Typical business PR practises. I'm thinking what Ironman is saying is very true. Its a long term strategy. They were never going to fill the stadium first day, but they still needed to build a stadium big enough for projected crowds, 5 or 6 events down the line.

·
To the death George
2,306 Posts
living in the UK, i could walk down my town center, ask about the UFC and get the exact same reactions from people as this. And the UK is probably one of most popular countrys for the UFC/MMA.

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
hope it fails hard.

the paradise city build on slavery, exploatation and racism.

Yes, what an example the UFC sets internationally. Lets hold the next event in North Korea and perhaps we can import slaves from Abu Dhabi to build us monuments and fancy things.

Lets also not allow Brazilians. They win too much. I dont like them or their greedy off shore oil policies, ban'em from the country.

goood luck Abu Dhabi, for the 1st time in many years i will not be purchasing this event.

I will be stealing it, like you steal labor. I will be mocking you, like you mock Jews and Israeli's.

I hope no other major sports event is ever held til they get their shit together in Abu Dhabi and i hope UFC suffers for going there.

Reactions: Zemelya

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
Why would anyone be surprised about that?
^^This^^

you can do that in every single country and it will most likely be the same as in the video! Very unlikely that you meet somebody who knows what it is, even in the states probably.

·
of Nazareth
10,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Come on guys with the seriousness. Please, somebody tell me it was a funny vid? Please?? It is comedy, right? Am I an idiot???

Maybe I should have named the thread something else...

·
"I
6,923 Posts
Of course it isn't that popular. Look at how it's broken down. The UFC does what, 8-12 events in the US and like 2-3 overseas per year. They've never been anywhere NEAR the UAE and it's an American company, so why would they really know about it? They'll know about it AFTER this and maybe one more event afterwards.

EDIT: Soojooko, I lul'd hard at Jackie Chan.

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
All very true Ironman... but it was still a funny vid, no? I'm still laughing. I'm sure it wasnt supposed to be a serious critique of the UFCs popularity in the region.
Oh, its funny. I'm just saying there's more to it than the fact that most people have no idea what the hell is going on.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Not to mention that every single person interviewed in that video seemed to be Indian. I've never been to the Emirates, but my guess is that the average guest worker over there is more concerned about keeping his job and sending money home to his family, and even if he cared about MMA, he probably couldn't afford to go to the show anyway.

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
Not to mention that every single person interviewed in that video seemed to be Indian. I've never been to the Emirates, but my guess is that the average guest worker over there is more concerned about keeping his job and sending money home to his family, and even if he cared about MMA, he probably couldn't afford to go to the show anyway.
yea 22 euros a month... im sure they are looking forward to saving up for 8 months to see the show!!

but enjoy the sites!!!

·
Registered
239 Posts
I don't understand why they chose there either. The second they announced Abu Dahbi, I knew bad things would happen. PPV buys may not change but that stadium is going to be pretty dull.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Lol I live in Canada and if I were to walk around and ask that many people I bet they would have all heard of it, atleast 2 people would be wearing Tapout and train MMA, So huge here. It will probably catch in Abu Dahbi, will never be as big as it is in North America though.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
^^This^^

you can do that in every single country and it will most likely be the same as in the video! Very unlikely that you meet somebody who knows what it is, even in the states probably.
Agreed.

Not that many americans know **** about hockey either specially in southern states. I doubt many know/care about baseball and american football either even though they appear to be 2 of the most popular sports in us (I could be wrong, I don't live there myself...).
Basically you can do a video like that with any sport in any country in the world to make the people living there look like idiots. MMA is relatively small and unknown sport still so making a video like that shouldn't be too hard.

·
-Raids Into Transylvania-
3,029 Posts
Man 3 years ago you wouldn't see a UFC, Affliction, Dethrone, Silverstar, WHATEVER T-shirt ANYWHERE in Dublin, nevermind all the MMA magazines on news stands. Now they're all over the place and there's MMA clubs popping up all around, I even stopped going to BJJ cause the mat's were too packed. And that's all thanks to Dana White and the UFC.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts