Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
The American Psycho
6,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
12/05/10 - Alves: "GSP is just about takedowns now"

Thiago Alves is back in the game following recent surgery to correct a fused artery in his brain, and he is hoping to finally get his revenge match with Jon Fitch out of the way. The two have been set to fight at UFC 107 and UFC 111 but both fell through because of injury, the latter when Alves’ brain condition was discovered.

After having surgery on his brain in unorthodox fashion (doctors made an incision in his groin and worked up an artery into his cranium), he is now back in training and focused on avenging some career losse, starting with Fitch and then if he wins, Georges St. Pierre.

“I have nearly nine weeks to prepare for my next fight. Once I’m back in training, I will spend three weeks working my technical game, and then get in some hard training. I saw what Fitch’s plan was [at UFC 111]. I am ready for him. I was happy I saw his fight with Ben Saunders,” Alves tells Fighters Only.

“I also saw GSP’s game [against Dan Hardy] - he’s just about takedowns now. He has great timing, but he’s not taking any chances. I don’t blame him for that. When I meet him again, I’ll have a much better strategy.”

Alves’ rematch with Fitch has now been scheduled for UFC 117 which takes place in Oakland, California on August 7th. The latest UK edition of Fighters Only Magazine is out now and features a massive in-depth interview with Alves, including detailed information on the cutting-edge surgery he underwent for his condition. http://www.fightersonlymagazine.co.uk/news/viewarticle.php?id=4469
I think its funny that Thiago Alves is accusing GSP of being a one-dimensional fighter when he's just about striking and nothing else! Your thoughts!

·
Po Pimpin
795 Posts
Um no... Looks like he called out his recent game plans thats been used and applauded him for it but claims to have a answer for it..

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
I am not a huge fan of Alves but its not like I hate him so dont get that impression.

I love how fighters are deciding to talk smack about GSPs ground game, Notice how its all the fighters he has beat using GnP? The funny thing about this post is that Alves got beat in every single category, including striking.

GSP will beat Alves anyway he wants if they fight again, GSP is just on another level then most fighters.

·
Registered
386 Posts
What are you guys talking about? He just stated the TRUTH. End of. Accussing him of being a one dimensional fighter? He is! and Alves is not saying its a bad thing, its just GSPs game. Fact. Get over it.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
What are you guys talking about? He just stated the TRUTH. End of. Accussing him of being a one dimensional fighter? He is! and Alves is not saying its a bad thing, its just GSPs game. Fact. Get over it.
lol, yea, except for the non-ness of it. GSP is the definition of a complete mixed martial artist. Fact. Get over it :thumb02:

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
If you can't stuff GSP's takedowns Thiago, then who's fault is that? Fact is GSP will take people down cos that is his biggest strength! And anther fact is that everyone who has stuffed his takedowns have been beaten in the stand up too! The WW division does seem to be lacking in a bit of respect as of late!

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Didn't seem like much trash talk to me. The guy even said, "I don't blame him." No trash talk there. He's just speaking the truth. Love GSP or not, but his last few fights HAVE been all about the takedown. To speak the truth as the truth isn't trash talk.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I think its funny that Thiago Alves is accusing GSP of being a one-dimensional fighter when he's just about striking and nothing else! Your thoughts!
No, he's a smart Mixed Martial Arts fighter, why stand with someone if that's their best chance of winning?
George has used his brain and taken them down, just like if he fought a maia type fighter, he'd stand and beat the crap out of them.

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
It's true however GSP has a fully functional arsenal, but chooses to employ takedowns. Alves is pretty much a pure striker. Based on that comment he wasn't being disrespectful at all not like Hardy. Alves is dope. Pulling for him to take on Hardy eventually. Daley would have been a great match up too. Unfortunately it may never happen.

BTW: Didn't Josh Koscheck lose to Alves and Paulo. What the heck is he doing in a title fight. He doesn't deserve it...

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
BTW: Didn't Josh Koscheck lose to Alves and Paulo. What the heck is he doing in a title fight. He doesn't deserve it...
He's on a 3 fight win streak against Trigg, AJ and Daley and won 4 out of his last 5. Aside from Fitch that's the best you'll find at WW right now. Who deserves it more exactly?

·
Forum "Superhero"
1,487 Posts
where is the smack talk? he was talking about gsp fight against hardy and said he thinks hes all about takedowns now.didn't see one dimensional but i guess you can assume that's what he meant....i hope he has a better game plan if he gets gsp again- i would like to see him use a bit more clinching and muay tai knees to the body of these wrestlers at the top of the div. might keep them from being as effective with the take-downs.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Apparently, being a GSP nut-hugger affects people's reading comprehension skills.

Never once does he claim GSP is one dimensional and, in fact, it seems to me like he applauds him for using his takedowns so effectively.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Exactly. I thought Hardy was an idiot for saying GSP isn't a fighter due to his takedowns, but Alves is just saying it how it is.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.