Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thiago Alves (16-7 MMA, 9-4 UFC) does not want to fight at middleweight and is willing to do whatever it takes to stay at welterweight.

The fighter on Monday told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that he's hired nutritionist Mike Dolce, a veteran of "The Ultimate Fighter 7," to assure the UFC that he never again misses weight in the 170-pound class.

Alves finds out today whether the promotion will grant his wish.

"I think (at) 185, the guys are way too big for me," Alves said.

Alves weighed in at 171.5 pounds for a co-headlining fight against Jon Fitch this past Saturday at UFC 117 – a half-pound more than the one-pound overage allowed for non-title fights. He was fined 20 percent of his purse by the California State Athletic Commission, which oversaw the event at Oracle Arena in Oakland, Calif.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/20224/thi...versee-diet-wants-to-stay-at-welterweight.mma ---- whole article

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so...what do you guys think? obviously he cant go to MW...i actually think he should lose that huge muscle mass and test out LW...his striking is awesome and imagine the speed he would have, him vs bj would be sweet

all that muscle is just...too much imo:confused02:

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
I think Alves's real problem is he doesn't know how to safely (and healthyly if that is possible) cut weight. He didn't look as big as he normally does and he still couldn't make weight. Usually he looks insanely shredded, and this time Fitch looked bigger than he did! He needs to train with wrestlers who have been cutting weight for 20+ years and learn how.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Brilliant idea Alves, glad he had that epiphany just now.

Anderson was in the low 190s in March/April, training for Sonnen full-time.

Mir, Rua, Silva, new Brock, Chuck perhaps (in his last hooray), - these guys have excellent diets, fresh vegetables, fruits, drink shit loads of treated water, gatorade or glucolite nice supplements, nice protein shakes. They keep their GI tract clean.

Frank Mir's magazine gets a lot of access to fighters and puts out much more interesting material compared to the lame Yahoo ESPN and other MMA media out there, not to mention smack talk radio shows and promos, and interviews where they talk about why you hate your next opponent, so much.

Lot better material for fans of the actual fights and the routines/training/conditioning/diet/training aspect of MMA.

·
NO. 1 *BONER*
7,727 Posts
It's about time Thiago!
It doesn't feel normal when a fighter says: "this was the eassiest cut of my life" and then he doesn't make weight, with or whithout the towel. And this is like the 1000th time he has missed weight.
He needs to change something - FAST!
Others have managed to do it, so could he. Lose some muscle, it's slowing him down annyways. If he were to cut from 210 or 215 instead of 220, it would be easier for him.
At every weigh in he looks drained and lethargic, he just doesn't look fresh.
At fight night he looks massive again, but oretty much, that's it. After he gets taked down by a good wrestler he tires out too fast.
He needs to do something.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Brilliant idea Alves, glad he had that epiphany just now.

Anderson was in the low 190s in March/April, training for Sonnen full-time.

Mir, Rua, Silva, new Brock, Chuck perhaps (in his last hooray), - these guys have excellent diets, fresh vegetables, fruits, drink shit loads of treated water, gatorade or glucolite nice supplements, nice protein shakes. They keep their GI tract clean.

Frank Mir's magazine gets a lot of access to fighters and puts out much more interesting material compared to the lame Yahoo ESPN and other MMA media out there, not to mention smack talk radio shows and promos, and interviews where they talk about why you hate your next opponent, so much.

Lot better material for fans of the actual fights and the routines/training/conditioning/diet/training aspect of MMA.

Bolded that for emphasis, anyone who hasnt read Franks magazine really should - its excellent.

On the point of Alves, well i dont think there is anymore to be said. He has far to much unnecessary bodybuilder style muscle mass that is pretty much redundant. It looks good, but if anything it will hamper his mobility and gas tank.

Ditch the ego, and cut some of it away. Great to hear he is working with Dolce, isnt he the nutritionist Rampage used for the fight against Rashad?

·
Registered
436 Posts
test out LW...his striking is awesome and imagine the speed he would have, him vs bj would be sweet
Despite the tremendous difficulty of trying to loose pure muscle mass, Thiago at LW could be very possible.

He has the perfect size/frame for that division if he could get a little leaner. His speed/reflexes are just simply stellar; not to mention his cardio - I don't think I've seen him tired since his first fight with Fitch.

He'd have to get comfortable at 175-180 lbs lbs though (he probably hasn't weighed that since he was 17) - which is a long shot considering he weighs anywhere from 200+ lbs now and looks good to boot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts