Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Makes me laugh a little actually. The fight was supposed to be for the title shot and then 2 brits come along and beat them both. Daley beats Kampmann and Hardy beats Swick but no one thinks he deserves the title shot yet this fight was supposed to be a title shot decider, maybe Daley and Hardy should fight. Doesn't this make anyone else laugh a little? No, that's just me then:eek:.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
It would make me laugh if it weren't so pathetic. It doesn't really matter what happens GSP is going to destroy anyone they put in front of him.

Fitch and Alves are steps ahead of the competition imo and Alves is the only one that I really think has a chance of taking GSP out. He got controlled but he was always dangerous and is very strong.

I would have rather seen GSP fight some MW and let the WW division get itself figured out instead of just giving cans to GSP.

·
Registered
520 Posts
yea man I agree with you, but like the guy above me said, it really doesn't matter since GSP will destroy them all, the whole no.1 contender thing to me doesn't even matter, I just wanna see good fights between everyone else

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It would make me laugh if it weren't so pathetic. It doesn't really matter what happens GSP is going to destroy anyone they put in front of him.

Fitch and Alves are steps ahead of the competition imo and Alves is the only one that I really think has a chance of taking GSP out. He got controlled but he was always dangerous and is very strong.

I would have rather seen GSP fight some MW and let the WW division get itself figured out instead of just giving cans to GSP.
I agree. GSP really should just go to MW, was watching question time with GSP before the UFC 105 weigh-ins and he says he's walking around at about 195 now, honestly if he can put on like 5 more pounds of lean muscle he should really fight at MW.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I think the only guys that have a chance of beating GSP at the moment are Rumble and Daley.

If rumble comes out like he did in his last fight, even GSP is going to struggle with him like that.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I think the only guys that have a chance of beating GSP at the moment are Rumble and Daley.

If rumble comes out like he did in his last fight, even GSP is going to struggle with him like that.
What, massively overweight? :)

I see your point though, GSP has been known to struggle in the stand up at times and if somebody came out charging at him they might just rock him quickly.

The problem is nobody can stop his takedowns, the man is a machine. He really needs to step up to middleweight if he wants to build on his legacy. He's clearly the best WW by quite some distance.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
What, massively overweight? :)

I see your point though, GSP has been known to struggle in the stand up at times and if somebody came out charging at him they might just rock him quickly.

The problem is nobody can stop his takedowns, the man is a machine. He really needs to step up to middleweight if he wants to build on his legacy. He's clearly the best WW by quite some distance.
Im gonna have to disagree with ya on this one. GSP has only had trouble with striking in two of his fights, his first fight with Bj Penn and the time he got caught by Matt Serra, other then that he has totally outstruck everybody he has fought including two pretty good strikers in Alves and Fitch. As for Dan Hardy not deserving a title shot, I dont agree with that at all. He has faced two cans and two pretty good welterweights in Swick and Davis. This fight didnt make me think any less of Swick, it showed me how good Dan Hardy really is. I think he is more deserving then anyone else in the division at the moment. I am a big Swick fan and might be overvaluing him a little, but the guy was 9-1 in the UFC before his fight against Hardy and had looked pretty damn impressive since moving down to welterweight. I doubt that Hardy will be able to beat GSP, but he seriously turned it up a notch for the Swick fight and I think we will see an even better Dan Hardy against GSP. The guy has made some serious strides since his last fight, I can wait to see how he looks when he steps into the cage to face the champ.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Im gonna have to disagree with ya on this one. GSP has only had trouble with striking in two of his fights, his first fight with Bj Penn and the time he got caught by Matt Serra, other then that he has totally outstruck everybody he has fought including two pretty good strikers in Alves and Fitch. As for Dan Hardy not deserving a title shot, I dont agree with that at all. He has faced two cans and two pretty good welterweights in Swick and Davis. This fight didnt make me think any less of Swick, it showed me how good Dan Hardy really is. I think he is more deserving then anyone else in the division at the moment. I am a big Swick fan and might be overvaluing him a little, but the guy was 9-1 in the UFC before his fight against Hardy and had looked pretty damn impressive since moving down to welterweight. I doubt that Hardy will be able to beat GSP, but he seriously turned it up a notch for the Swick fight and I think we will see an even better Dan Hardy against GSP. The guy has made some serious strides since his last fight, I can wait to see how he looks when he steps into the cage to face the champ.
Well it's the only real area that GSP has trouble in isn't it? You're not beating him on the ground that's for sure. Like I said he is by far and away the best WW, and that's his complete game, striking included - just striking is where he has looked most vulnerable in the past, and it's obvious that his game plan is to keep people down for the GNP rather than stand and bang. He tries sometimes fair play to him, but it isn't his strongest area so he doesn't stick to it.

And you should check my post in the other thread about Hardy, I'm a Brit and honestly think he stands a good chance. He has a great mentality that even if he loses, I think he'd learn a lot and come back stronger.

·
M.I.A
2,550 Posts
Gsp will gnp any of these current contenders. Hardy will be broken on the ground just like alves was, and after that, Gsp should go up in weight for some big fights.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Makes me laugh a little actually. The fight was supposed to be for the title shot and then 2 brits come along and beat them both. Daley beats Kampmann and Hardy beats Swick but no one thinks he deserves the title shot yet this fight was supposed to be a title shot decider, maybe Daley and Hardy should fight. Doesn't this make anyone else laugh a little? No, that's just me then:eek:.
I dont find it funny at all I do find it somewhat poetic though..One of the knocks from boxing purists about ufc/mma is the style of matchmaking..Which often times seems similar to that of professional wrestling's..

How ufc brass came to the decision that swick or kampman were deserving of a shot only heaven knows..But I am glad that better talent prevailed in the end..
But doesnt it say something about the WW division and GSP LEGACY that the the so called number 1 contenders got their lunch fed to them by a pair of up and coming BRITS?

How can anyone possibly deny GSP isnt just inflating his record by staying at WW at this point

1 - 11 of 11 Posts