Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think oddsmakers would have it as such.

Sadly the only one we'll see is Vitor.

Anderson Silva could own all at 170 to 205lbs.

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
I am curious if Shogun would really be the Underdog in this fight :confused02: probably not by much..

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
of course he would, when was the last time Silva lost in the UFC and how about Rua? Sure there were injuries and whatnot for Rua.

Silva will always be the fav until he actually gets defeated.

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
You have to consider the facts, that it isn't his actual weightclass.

That Rua just beat Lyoto Machida!!! such a big win doesn't have Anderson Silva in his entire career.

It depends also a lot on how many rounds he will be on his back against Chael Sonnen.

·
Banned
820 Posts
Well I think Anderson is the best out of all of them. In terms of odds. He would be greatly favored over GSP, but not so much aganist Shogun maybe a 3/2

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You have to consider the facts, that it isn't his actual weightclass.

That Rua just beat Lyoto Machida!!! such a big win doesn't have Anderson Silva in his entire career.

It depends also a lot on how many rounds he will be on his back against Chael Sonnen.
I think over 4 years of beating every #1 contender put against him, always wanting to fight GSP or LHWs in between is more credibility than Machida has achieved in his title win and 1 'defense' of that title against Rua.

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
Anderson Silva doesn't have a victory of a guy like Lyoto on his Record! Even if he would KO Vitor and actually finally fought somebody close to his striking level.. then yes we can start talking about it. Until now Rua has the bigger win of the two in the stronger devision.

·
-Raids Into Transylvania-
3,029 Posts
At a catchweight between MW and WW and MW and LHW Silva still beats both GSP abd Rua IMO. Even if GSP tries to wrestle him to the ground Anderson's BJJ and 'spider' like legs and arms would put him in serious trouble. Standing Silva's Muay Thai beats both of their stand up. I wouldn't bet against him thats for sure...

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Silva was asked can he move down to 170 pre-Maia, he said yes. Before the Maia fight the entire UFC crew was hyping a Silva V GSP megafight - but afterwards "he doesn't deserve it" White should of just said "I hate Silva, you all probably do too, I don't want him to beat hell out GSP anymore."

Rua - would be slow motion for Silva and he'd tower over him. Silva's strikes wouldn't be as hard, but certainly faster, more precise, better angles, better timed striker. Silva doesn't need to commit as much as Rua does when he strikes and he's a lot more creative. Plus theyz got Brazillian beef, by association. Silva's always been the pride of black house, I think he'd show Rua why.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
Anderson Silva doesn't have a victory of a guy like Lyoto on his Record! Even if he would KO Vitor and actually finally fought somebody close to his striking level.. then yes we can start talking about it. Until now Rua has the bigger win of the two in the stronger devision.
calm down, just take a deep breath and blow out of your nose, now repeat this for 2 minutes.

I am a Rua fan and I am glad that he MIGHT be back to his old form, cant really say after facing 1 fighter... some fighters always have the others number.

The fact that Silva is moving around weight classes, destroying guys if he actually wanted too just speaks for itself.

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
Why do I need to calm down? I am calm lol^^ more then that I always am.

Just saying one more time. The bettings odds depend on a lot of different factors. But the main factor is, that Silva never fought a stand up fighter like Rua in his entire career! But Rua fought many strikers including one of the best in the entire buesniss named Lyoto Machida.

So I for one don't see how Silva could be big favourite?

·
Registered
585 Posts
You can maek a case that Anderson beat a much better opponent than Lyoto because he beat Dan Henderson.Who is the only guy to hold titles in two different weight classes at the same time...EVER. Also Anderson has beaten not only Hendo, but he's beaten former LHW champ Forrest Griffin, anhiliated Franklin twice,and beaten former welterweight champ in Carlos Newton. Thats a lot of champions he's beaten.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Silva hype is getting ridiculous... When he actually fights (and beats) a striker of Shogun's & Vitor's caliber we can justify this ridiculous hype. The best striker Silva has faced so far is Frankling and he is more known for his work ethic and versatility than his stand up.
I'll not be silly like Silva fans and say that there is NO way for Shogun and Vitor to lose against him, but Vitor for example has much better boxing than Silva does and his hand speed is better. Silva has more versatile style though as Vitor doesn't throw too many kicks though, but saying Silva would easily win the fight just because he knocked out few C-B level strikers and danced for 5 rounds against 2 grapplers with next to no stand up is just crazy.

@GSP - Stylisticly the worst kind of match up for Silva (in my opinion). Great striking with arguably the best wrestling in mma right now with jitsu blackbelt to go with it. He WILL be able to take Silva down and he will punish Silva there just like he punished Penn (while avoiding all the subs).

I kinda wish Silva will be able to beat Sonnen and Vitor so there is a chance for us to see the GSP & Shogun fights too, but I personally think that there is a huge chance for either Sonnen or Vitor to beat him and I doubt he'll be jumping divisions instantly after losing the MW belt.

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
You can maek a case that Anderson beat a much better opponent than Lyoto because he beat Dan Henderson who is the only guy to hold titles in two different weight classes at the same time...EVER. Also Anderson has beaten not only Hendo, but he's beaten former LHW champ Forrest Griffin, anhiliated Franklin twice,and beaten former welterweight champ in Carlos Newton. Thats a lot of champions he's beaten.
That's true except for the Hendo statement! Hendo isn't a striker he's a Wrestler. I am talking about Strikers here!

Fact is, that Forrest, Franklin and Co. don't even come close to the striking level of guys like Lyoto, Rua or Overeem.. those are two different worlds we are talking about here. Silva needs at least to fight Vitor who would be the first fighter with really amazing striking ability. It's just a fact, that Silva never had to deal with the same skill then Rua in the striking apartment.

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
LOL @ the Vitor hype.....

When was the last time he defeated a top 5 middleweight fighter?

Or even any top 5 fighter.....

·
Registered
585 Posts
That's true except for the Hendo statement! Hendo isn't a striker he's a Wrestler. I am talking about Strikers here!

Fact is, that Forrest, Franklin and Co. don't even come close to the striking level of guys like Lyoto, Rua or Overeem.. those are two different worlds we are talking about here. Silva needs at least to fight Vitor who would be the first fighter with really amazing striking ability. It's just a fact, that Silva never had to deal with the same skill then Rua in the striking apartment.
Yah Hendo is a good wrestler...hell a great one but he has ko'ed Bisping,Gono,Renzo Gracie and not to mention Ko'ed Wanderlei Silva of all people. He's no weak stand up fighter

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
I think Anderson's resume is more impressive than Hua's and GSP's. Anderson has a way of removing the best MiddleWeights in the world from their prime. Just look at Henderson and Franklin, the past few years have made it easy to forget that four years ago Franklin was the man no one would dethrone at 185, Silva made him his bitch twice.
Not to mention moving up to 205, mauling James Irvine, and humiliating a former champion in Forrest Griffin, who he himself defeated Hua, and Rampage.

I'm obviously bias as my sig would imply. But I truly think none of us understand just how good Anderson Silva really is. Silva is a fighter that competes at a level these guys shouldn't be at for another 20 years or so. Anyone who has ever studied Muay Thai, Boxing, or any other form of striking for that matter can tell you that Silva's technique is as close to perfection as a mortal man can get.

I like Hua, a lot, I'm bored to tears by GSP but respect his ability. Neither of these points negate the fact that Anderson would probably have them laid out by minute 8 in either fight.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
LOL @ the Vitor hype.....

When was the last time he defeated a top 5 middleweight fighter?

Or even any top 5 fighter.....
Seriously, I respect what he did to Franklin, but Franklin at the same time Franklin had an awful gameplan against the guy. If Silva leaves the division, I could envision a competetive Franklin Vs Belfort II, but then you have all the guys that Silva's destroyed over the years back in the hunt too.

Plus there's a reason he's not been in the UFC over the years - he uses steroids, he's probably finishing a cycle right now, getting ready to flush out metabolites and drug traces out of his system.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.