Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love Anderson Silva but I think he could use a good beating to keep his head in check.
Who do you think would be the man for the job?

I think gsp would be a good match cause of his monstrous takedowns but then again silva has some good take down defense....

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
Chael Sonnen. Like it or not he has a better chance than GSP. Chael has an awesome shot, has a better clinch takedown and most importantly he is closer in size. Anderson Silva is to big for GSP. I love GSP and hate Anderson but come on people Anderson is a huge 185. GSP is not big enough.

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
I love Anderson Silva but I think he could use a good beating to keep his head in check.
Who do you think would be the man for the job?

I think gsp would be a good match cause of his monstrous takedowns but then again silva has some good take down defense....
I think you need a good calender. This is a little bit of an outdated topic, assuming you're referring to his actions in the Abu Daubi fight.

While we're on it though, I just love how quickly everyone forgets the unforgettable fights, and fight finishes that make up the vast majority of Anderson's career, and his UFC career.

The fact is the only fight Anderson has been in that was boring and his fault was the Maia fight. Leites is to blame for that sham, and I thought the Cote fight was a great fight till he got hurt. The only thing that kept that one from making the highlight reel like all the rest is that Cote's head is made of granite and he didn't drop when hit with the same shots that damn near killed everyone else.

Yes boo and jeer the man! Let's completely forget that he is considered by most to be the best MMA fighter in the world, and that is not without good reason.

And by the way, GSP would be killed by Anderson within the first two rounds. He has nothing for him at all.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
Chael Sonnen. Like it or not he has a better chance than GSP. Chael has an awesome shot, has a better clinch takedown and most importantly he is closer in size. Anderson Silva is to big for GSP. I love GSP and hate Anderson but come on people Anderson is a huge 185. GSP is not big enough.
Not really, GSP could actually put up some sort of fight standing and wouldn't just be instantly subbed or swept and gnped out once the fight hit the ground. Speed and quickness are more important than size for someone fighting Andy. It isn't like Andy is going to muscle him up against the fence and dirty box him he is going to try to strike from the outside for the most part you have the close the distance fast on your shots with him which GSP is vastly superior at.

Chael isn't any kind of threat to Anderson. Doing what Chael did to Nate was no big deal his TDD is his weakness and GJJ is crap. Andy is going to own him everywhere.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I hate Anderson so much I wanna see his lifeless body lying limp on the mat.

Really bad.

EDIT: Ya that's right, im an ignorant fool. :)

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
I hope Andy gets another confident pill after the Sonnen fight. Sonnen is a huge threat to Silvas belt and should challenge him like nobody could do in the last years.

I can't remember when I was that excited about a Silva fight actually.

I will go with Silva, but damn this fight is going to be a war for more then 3 Rounds at least.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I think you need a good calender. This is a little bit of an outdated topic, assuming you're referring to his actions in the Abu Daubi fight.

While we're on it though, I just love how quickly everyone forgets the unforgettable fights, and fight finishes that make up the vast majority of Anderson's career, and his UFC career.

The fact is the only fight Anderson has been in that was boring and his fault was the Maia fight. Leites is to blame for that sham, and I thought the Cote fight was a great fight till he got hurt. The only thing that kept that one from making the highlight reel like all the rest is that Cote's head is made of granite and he didn't drop when hit with the same shots that damn near killed everyone else.

Yes boo and jeer the man! Let's completely forget that he is considered by most to be the best MMA fighter in the world, and that is not without good reason.

And by the way, GSP would be killed by Anderson within the first two rounds. He has nothing for him at all.
:sarcastic12::sarcastic12:

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
Not really, GSP could actually put up some sort of fight standing and wouldn't just be instantly subbed or swept and gnped out once the fight hit the ground. Speed and quickness are more important than size for someone fighting Andy. It isn't like Andy is going to muscle him up against the fence and dirty box him he is going to try to strike from the outside for the most part you have the close the distance fast on your shots with him which GSP is vastly superior at.

Chael isn't any kind of threat to Anderson. Doing what Chael did to Nate was no big deal his TDD is his weakness and GJJ is crap. Andy is going to own him everywhere.
Sonnen is not gonna be that easy to sweep because he doesn't take chances on the ground, instead he is ussually just happy to sit and strike from guard. Sonnen's only real weakness is gonna be Silva's long ass legs throwing up triangles. Sonnen won't and can't strike with Silva but its only gonna work to his advantage that he knows that. Silva's TD defense is nothing special Lutter and Hendo both took him down its merely that the BJJ grapplers like Leites and Maia had trouble.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
George Laraque, 6'4" 245 lbs and well known to be very difficult to throw around(on skates anyways) and GSP manhandled him in wrestling.

It doesn't matter that Silva will have a few inches of height and reach and maybe 10 more lbs. GSP would still be able to take him down and either pound him out or win a decision.

Sonnen doesn't stand a better chance because Sonnen has somewhat poor sub defense and he doesn't use his striking to set up takedowns. Silva will punish him when he wildly goes for takedowns and then probably submit him on the ground if it gets that far.

GSP can use his striking ability just enough to safely get takedowns and he has much better sub defense and is a far more technical fighter both standing and on the ground.

·
Registered
597 Posts
What Silva needs is a good opponent.

GSP vs. The Spider, Dana White needs to make this fight happen.

While Andy is one of my favs, the cockiness in the ring doesn't win him any fans.

From what I can tell, he is a pretty polite guy who is there to fight, so if you aren't trying hard to win the fight, he will clown you.

But let's face it, if everyone constantly tells you you are the best fighter on the planet... it'd be hard to stay humble? :confused02:

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
...I guess when you dominate for so long cockiness can come into play. If Chael & GSP were to fight, St. Pierre would beat him up. To say that Sonnen has a better chance than GSP is pretty far off. There's a thing called striking that many over-look. Henderson is a level above Sonnen in the wrestling dept., and he didn't make it out of the 2nd round. Even after Dan smothered Silva the whole 1st round. It starts on the feet and Chael does not want to test Anderson's Muay Thai. The closest fighter to Anderson's striking level would be Shogun. Chael Sonnen will not be the one to humble Silva. It's gonna take a top-tier LHW striker with a solid ground game...

·
Registered
585 Posts
Its not like Silva is undefeated, he lost by heel hook and triangle choke. I'm sure those are both very humbling losses

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Really, a flying heel hook has to be the most humbling loss you can get.
...Hmmmm. That loss to Ryo was in Pride Shockwave 2004 Anderson has not lost a match yet since he stepped into the Octagon in 2006 Like Rogan said " I'm sure Anderson learned from those mistakes. The Anderson Silva we see today in the UFC is a different animal". If Ryo fought Anderson today, he would get put to sleep in the 1st round, without question. 6 years is a LONG time in MMA...

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Yea he has obviously improved and reached his prime. But I don't really think you can learn from a flying heel hook loss.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Yea he has obviously improved and reached his prime. But I don't really think you can learn from a flying heel hook loss.
...Well, let's just say it was a very lucky move. A flying heel-hook isn't done on a regular basis. It's clearly a lucky catch.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts

What has any of that got to do with Anderson having a split personality where he pretends he's humble half the time then acts like an arrogant prat the other half?

I agree that he needs humbling and your post does nothing to counter that. Is he a legendary fighter? Yes. One of the best ever? Yes. Great UFC highlight reel? Yes. Humble? No, only when it suits him, otherwise he might be inclined to dream up that his opponent deeply disrespected him and go on to act like an ass on PPV and deny it afterwards.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
Sonnen is not gonna be that easy to sweep because he doesn't take chances on the ground, instead he is ussually just happy to sit and strike from guard. Sonnen's only real weakness is gonna be Silva's long ass legs throwing up triangles. Sonnen won't and can't strike with Silva but its only gonna work to his advantage that he knows that. Silva's TD defense is nothing special Lutter and Hendo both took him down its merely that the BJJ grapplers like Leites and Maia had trouble.
It would be funny as hell if Andy hit that body triangle sweep to mount and GNPed Chael out. You know he has no idea how to defend that since he thinks BJJ is gay.

So in other words people he gave a shit about not being taken down by couldn't take him down and a few guys managed to take him down from flying knees and because he got right up in their face because he didn't give a ****. Which might happen in this fight. I don't think Andy cares if Chael gets him to the ground and he will get in his face and beat on him when he gets a good opening just like he did with Okami and Hendo.

·
Banned
525 Posts
To start, Yes Anderson does need his ass kicked. But there is nobody, besides Shogun, in either division he fights in that can do it. **** Sonnen, he has no chance and anyone that seriously thinks he does is delusional. I don't see how Anderson could make 170 to fight GSP and I don't think Dana would let GSP move up. No matter, GSP would have the best chance because he is more than a lay n pray wrestler, although he hasn't really shown it too much in his last few fights. But having the best chance is still only slightly above no chance. As of right now, there is maybe 1 guy in MW and LHW that could actually give Silva the assbeating he needs and his name is not Chael Sonnen. I don't see how anybody that isn't abusing drugs and alcohol or in desperate need of psychotherapy can actually think that Chael could do anything besides get beat up against Silva.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts