Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ed Soares gives further details on Anderson Silva’s rib injury

Ed Soares, the manager and translator of UFC middleweight champion, Anderson Silva has today given further detail on the extent of “The Spider’s” rib injury that he sustained just days before he faced Chael Sonen at UFC 117, before explaining in his mind the man from Oregon doesn’t deserve an immediate rematch.

Speaking via FightHype.com, Soares said:

“It was really close because the doctors didn’t want him to fight. He hurt his rib last Friday in sparring. He hurt it, but he didn’t think it was hurt that bad and then Sunday morning, I had about 13 missed calls in a matter of 25 minutes. They were all from Anderson and he was calling me to tell me he was in pain. He couldn’t breathe. I took him to the hospital and they X-Rayed each rib and they noticed that it was a bit swollen, but there was no fracture. They said it was bruised ribs, but the way he reacted when they touched it and how tender they were, they said it was in the muscle as well as the bruise. I’m not a doctor, but this is just what they told us. They prescribed some Ibuprofen 800 for him because it was so close to the fight, they couldn’t do any Vicodin.”

“The doctors said, ‘I really don’t recommend that he fights,’ but Anderson said, ‘No man, the show must go on. I’m going to fight.’ I put it this way, he was supposed to corner Mark Munoz on Sunday for his fight against Okami, but I made him stay at home in bed. He was just lying around and letting his ribs heal up on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday because we travelled. He didn’t train again until we got to Oakland. He gave his ribs about a 5-day rest.”

On the possibility of Sonnen securing an immediate rematch, Soares said:

“I mean, I don’t necessarily think an immediate rematch is legitimate. It’s not like he won by decision. You got submitted, man. You were on top of him for 23 minutes of the fight and you couldn’t finish him. Anderson got a few bumps and bruises, but let’s be realistic, you’re on a guy 23 minutes and you couldn’t finish him? Why should he get a rematch?”

It’s widely expected that Silva will square off with former light heavyweight champion, Vitor Belfort next inside the octagon, although it’s highly unlikely it will go down this year. Stay tuned to MMABay for more news on this situation as we get it.

·
I'm a doctor too, ya dingus.
215 Posts
RIBS! it's what's for DINNER UNNNGNGGGNGG

no but really.

this is interesting!

as an aside, to avoid +pee tests they could have used an non-opiate opoiod pain reliever like tramadol or darvocet, or more hardcore NSAIDs like piroxicam or celebrex. he was obviously hurtin.

·
-Raids Into Transylvania-
3,029 Posts
Gotta agree with Soares in some sense, Sonnen was clearly winning that fight hands down, but despite tagging Silva several times and lying on top of him for 23 mins he still couldn't put him away. If Anderson's ribs really were as bad as has been made out then he deserves even more respect for for riding the storm and still finishing the fight.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
OK, if Silva has a lay off, an extension of 3 months or so, Belfort needs to suit up and fight a MW.

Okami, Leben, Sonnen and Belcher are all there with no opponent.

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
Belfort vs. Okami for the number one spot :thumbsup:

“I mean, I don’t necessarily think an immediate rematch is legitimate. It’s not like he won by decision. You got submitted, man. You were on top of him for 23 minutes of the fight and you couldn’t finish him. Anderson got a few bumps and bruises, but let’s be realistic, you’re on a guy 23 minutes and you couldn’t finish him? Why should he get a rematch?”
Thats the truth and nothing but the truth!

·
You're not terribly important to me
15,563 Posts
Belfort vs. Okami for the number one spot :thumbsup:

Thats the truth and nothing but the truth!
i cant handle the truth! but seriously dont get your guidance from this shmuck,, hes just scared that his fighter will lose and he'll be a nobody translator again.

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
i cant handle the truth! but seriously dont get your guidance from this shmuck,, hes just scared that his fighter will lose and he'll be a nobody translator again.
Jesus Christ man, he got stopped!!!

You can't win in a more impressive way. Sonnen needs to go back in line. He had his chance! Thats why Championship fights are 5 rounds, not only 3..:confused05:

In a Real fight, sonnen wouldn't be able to fight a second time!

·
WIDE OPEN
3,973 Posts
You can't win in a more impressive way.
Untrue! eheh

I thought Anderson was going to win in the way most of the others did, round 1 KO, that would be more impressive than being battered and dominated physically for 22 minutes! I wasn't THAT impressed with Brockoli subbing a gassed Carwin, so I am not too impressed by Anderson subbing a gassed Chael either. If Chaels last 3 fights were 5 rounds, he would have lost those too.

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
I knew he was in for the fight of his life! MMA is all about matchups and styles.

Even against the worst possible matchup, Anderson comes out on top. There isn't another champion like that!

He's a Legend now and Sonnen can go back in line!

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
You know I would be intrested in this but really it is just to know what excuses people will be saying later on in this forum. Soares lies so much for anderson and tries to manipulate fights so much that I don't believe anything he says.

Not to say I don't agree with him on the immediate rematch. Sonnen had his chance and got beat. He needs to learn submission defense before he fights top competition again.

On the matter of the rib injury I am going to continue to believe it is BS.

·
MMA Patriot
4,003 Posts
I think he may have had a rib injury but it's probably not as bad as thEy say it is. If it was then silva would have shown alot more pain than he did dieting the fight.

·
SikWithIt
2,539 Posts
I think he may have had a rib injury but it's probably not as bad as thEy say it is. If it was then silva would have shown alot more pain than he did dieting the fight.
The fight turned when Chael did this

·
Registered
641 Posts
he might have had bruised ribs but to me anderson looked exactly how he does every fight. the difference was sonnen didnt allow him the few minutes it takes for anderson to gage his timing and distance. silva, while standing, was trying to use his movement and footwork but its hard to do that when you got an animal like chael bumrushing you.

i think even if silva was 100% he'd still have trouble with chael and may lose a rematch. i reccomend chael hire a high level bjj coach and work nothing but armbar and triangle defense.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Does anybody know what side it was on b/c I watched the fight yesterday and at the end when he gets his hand raised Anderson grabbed at his ribs and started bending over almost doubled over I think.The more I watch and hear the more I believe it

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Respect to Anderson for fighting with an injury, but in reality all of these guys are entering the Octagon with serious injuries. It sucks that they were the ribs, because that's really an injury that's hard to work around, but he worked through it.

And, I have to agree with Soares on the rematch. Sonnen had a great showing, but at the end of the day he showed the same old holes in his game. He needs to tighten it up a bit, fight a match with another contender (possibly Wanderlei?) and then come baCk for a shot. During that time he needs to up his jitz game.

·
The Bearded One
4,150 Posts
Silva looked slower than ever. watch his previous fights and you´ll notice that he wasn´t nearly as lightning fast as he used to be...

·
Forum "Superhero"
1,487 Posts
Anderson Silva was in the fight of his life this past weekend at UFC 117 as Chael Sonnen backed up his months of trash talk. The challenger took down and punished the champ for all 5 rounds, but Anderson Silva did the impossible. In the last few minutes of the last round he was able to lock up a triangle choke and submit Chael Sonnen. During the fight Silva looked noticeably slower than his usually self, with less head movement and less accurate shots.

Silva revealed at the post fight press conference that he suffered a rib injury while sparring in preparation for the fight. Silva said he was not using the injury as an excuse for Sonnen’s dominating performance, but it looks like it may have played a big role in the bout. Just today Guilherme Cruz of Tatame magazine posted on his Twitter page that Ramon Lemos, Silva’s BJJ coach, has confirmed that Silva will be out of action until early next year due to his rib injury.

While the internet haters will continue to hate, it seems like Silva did indeed suffer from a substantial injury leading up to his title defense at UFC 117, making his comeback win even more impressive. It looks like Sonnen will have quite a while to wait, and train, before he gets another shot at the Spider.

[Source: Twitter.com/_guicruz, Image source: Tatame]
that made me take the whole article as unreliable. wait till the UFC confirms before anything.

1 - 20 of 151 Posts