Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The list of fighters that want to challenge Mauricio "Shogun" Rua after Saturday night will soon start to pile up, but it won't include UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva.

It's been talked about ever since Silva knocked out Forrest Griffin and James Irvin in two light heavyweight fights that the Brazilian champion could one day challenge for a title in the higher weight class. Prior to Saturday, Silva was hindered by his longtime friendship with Lyoto Machida, but now that he's lost the title the question has been raised once again.

UFC president Dana White believes that Silva still has work to do in the middleweight division, however, and until that's finished he won't be going back to 205 pounds.

"Anderson Silva's going to fight Chael Sonnen, and then probably Vitor Belfort, then he'll move up," said White. "I like to see guys clean a division out."

The first of those challenges will come in August when Silva faces off against Sonnen at UFC 117 in Oakland. Belfort has yet to announce a time when he'll be coming back from injury, but most likely he'll take at least one more fight before getting a title shot against the winner of Silva and Sonnen.

Of course the reminder that was UFC 112 in Abu Dhabi still sits fresh in White's mind as well, and he says that Silva needs to look no further than Mauricio "Shogun" Rua if he needs a model on how to go out and fight.

"I'm still unhappy with Anderson. I want to see Anderson perform in his next (fight). The way that Shogun performed tonight is the way the best fighters in the world should perform," White stated. "That's what people are paying for."

The next fighter to face Shogun will be the winner of Rashad Evans and Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, who battle later this month.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
After Sonnen and Belfort, im not sure who could challenge Anderson at MW. Alan Belcher maybe? If he makes a run he could get a title shot, but other than that Silva will probably have to move up in weight permanently unless some fresh MW blood (TUF winner?) is brought in to compete.

·
Banned
689 Posts
After Sonnen and Belfort, im not sure who could challenge Anderson at MW. Alan Belcher maybe? If he makes a run he could get a title shot, but other than that Silva will probably have to move up in weight permanently unless some fresh MW blood (TUF winner?) is brought in to compete.
yeah if he gets past sonnen than he should face vitor but other than those guys there isn't anything for him in the MW div. he is 35 and should be going for the super fights, the clock is ticking.

·
Registered
319 Posts
^^^Thats true, i dont know why Dana White is wasting everybodys time by not making Silva superfights at the end of his contract/career.

I think it's because of Silva's attitude. I really do think his antics in his last fight really hurt him more than helped him. I really do think that if he had come out and done his job and knocked Maia out like he should have, none of this would be happening. I beleive AS did it to himself. If he had come out and dominated and took him out like he could and should have, then DW might be looking at him differently.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
There's a lot of "what if's" in Dana's comments. Assuming Anderson gets past Sonnen, the only other legitimate challenger is Belfort. However, if Belfort fights once more before a title shot, he could lose, and that would leave Anderson without a clear challenger (Belcher isn't even in his league and I'm sick of watching Anderson tool guys he outclasses by a mile).

If Belfort comes back and gets a win, then let Anderson fight him and Chael. If he wins both of those, get him up to LHW where he can get some more interesting matchups.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
^^^Thats true, i dont know why Dana White is wasting everybodys time by not making Silva superfights at the end of his contract/career.
Its because of his attitude. I honestly think that this point Dana is trying to discourage him and have that lead to a loss. The best thing for the UFC is for Anderson to lose. Hes not that over with the fans, but everyone knows hes extremely talented. So one of two things happens if he losses - 1 The guy who beats him becomes very celebrated by the crowd thus creating a fighter who is going to sell ppvs. 2 Anderson Silva gets angry and starts mauling people and Dana has the fighter that he wants back.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Its because of his attitude. I honestly think that this point Dana is trying to discourage him and have that lead to a loss. The best thing for the UFC is for Anderson to lose. Hes not that over with the fans, but everyone knows hes extremely talented. So one of two things happens if he losses - 1 The guy who beats him becomes very celebrated by the crowd thus creating a fighter who is going to sell ppvs. 2 Anderson Silva gets angry and starts mauling people and Dana has the fighter that he wants back.
That isn't going to happen. Anderson is not losing to Sonnen (in which ways is he better than Hendo? neither wrestling nor striking) or Belfort (nobody is beating Anderson standing).

Two more boring and uneventuful fights. He's not using AS to his full potential.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The Sonnen fight's already booked so I'll watch it, but I have little interest in seeing Silva fight Belfort or Belcher (or even Cote, a fight I was looking forward to at one point).

I'd much rather see him take on Shogun - now that's a superfight!

Or any number of fights at 205, though unfortunately he's got two high-ranked teammates there he won't fight, which makes things a bit more difficult.

·
Banned
820 Posts
I can not wait for Silva to move up. Its a neew venture for him, and if he wants to be all ought concencus number 1 p4p he has to go for the 205 tittle.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I think Vitor can make a decent fight out of it if he's willing to get close and pull the trigger. Not a lot of guys have his handspeed. Regardless, if skipping the Belfort/Silva fight means getting Anderson to LHW sooner, I'm all for it.

The only problem is if Anderson leaves, and Vitor gets the MW belt and goes on a tear, people are going to wonder what that fight would've been like.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Clean-up a division??:sarcastic12:

Anderson cleared this division when he beat Dan Henderson way back when, Which was why he originally moved up to 205 lbs. in the first place.

I can understand the punishment Silva is being given due to his performance at UFC 112, however, once he beats up Sonnen... I see no reason why he should have to fight Belfort. No disrespect to Belfort, but Belfort comes straight at you... a "style" that Anderson Silva loves and will pick apart with ease.

After Sonnen, Silva, needs to move up to 205 lbs,. so that a REAL challenge is presented in front of him. Belive me, the 205 lbs. division is STACKED. There is plenty of opposition for the "Spider" to face.

I only say this becuase I do not plan on dishing out $50 a pop to see Anderson 'man-handle' Chael Sonnen or Vitor Belfort. :confused03:

·
Registered
816 Posts
vitor B needs to fight someone at MW before a title shot maybe belcher? Then after that just LHW :D

sick of seeing anderson wasted on shit fights :/ such as his last 3 no wonder he not wanana fight them!

Sonne best bring it to anderson so he can get KOed dont like the guy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.