Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I watched the Aldo Faber fight and I couldn't help but think why didn't Aldo FINISH the fight in the 5th round? He had Faber primed and ready to be KO'ed but Aldo totally turned it off in the last round and was content to get a decision victory. The WEC and Aldo needed to make a huge statement in the first PPV. Aldo totally dominated Faber for 4 rounds, but to establish himself as a main event fighter who can carry a PPV, he needed to finish off Faber and put an exclamation mark on the evening. Instead the main event ended with a whimper with the crowd booing the last round.

When I saw Ed Soares in the ring, it all became clear. He's said in the past with regards to Silva that he fights a safe/non-crowd pleasing strategy to keep his MW belt but at LHW expect Silva to be aggressive and exciting. We just saw another case of where his fighter turned it off in the last round to secure a decision. This is a great strategy for keeping a belt but horrible for the sport. Silva's ugly win at Abu Dhabi actually put UFC's global expansion plans in question. After last night's show, can anyone guarantee there'll be another WEC PPV?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I watched the Aldo Faber fight and I couldn't help but think why didn't Aldo FINISH the fight in the 5th round? He had Faber primed and ready to be KO'ed but Aldo totally turned it off in the last round and was content to get a decision victory. The WEC and Aldo needed to make a huge statement in the first PPV. Aldo totally dominated Faber for 4 rounds, but to establish himself as a main event fighter who can carry a PPV, he needed to finish off Faber and put an exclamation mark on the evening. Instead the main event ended with a whimper with the crowd booing the last round.

When I saw Ed Soares in the ring, it all became clear. He's said in the past with regards to Silva that he fights a safe/non-crowd pleasing strategy to keep his MW belt but at LHW expect Silva to be aggressive and exciting. We just saw another case of where his fighter turned it off in the last round to secure a decision. This is a great strategy for keeping a belt but horrible for the sport. Silva's ugly win at Abu Dhabi actually put UFC's global expansion plans in question. After last night's show, can anyone guarantee there'll be another WEC PPV?
Dude.... this event was awesome... why would there be any question at all?

·
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
9,814 Posts
I got the feeling that Aldo just didn't want to hurt him anymore. When he refused to quit in the crucifix, and by answering the call for the 5th round THE CALIFORNIA KID made aldo fall in love with him just like everybody else.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Say what you want but that was an awesome fight. Why would Aldo risk losing in the 5th when he so clearly won the fight up to that point? It would have really sucked to see Aldo get ko'ed in the 5th because he was trying to finish when he didn't need to.

·
The Bearded One
4,150 Posts
Silva's ugly win at Abu Dhabi actually put UFC's global expansion plans in question. After last night's show, can anyone guarantee there'll be another WEC PPV?
This makes no sense, at least not for me.
Let UFC continue to recruit the best fighters and mma will sell it self world wide.
There´s nothing a single fighter can do to jeopardize it.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's my point. To drive the growth of the sport and PPV sales, you need guys who FINISH fights. It was a great fight until the last round when Aldo just turned it off. As a champion you need to realize what's at stake and rise to the moment. It was an anti-climatic ending to an otherwise great performance by Aldo and that was not what the WEC needed from the main event for their debut PPV. Guys turning it off is not acceptable from these lighter weight classes. So what was the best of the night? Garcia-Jung where both guys brought it all for the ENTIRE fight.

If you think think guys running for the last rounds like Anderson Silva did in Abu Dhabi is good for the sport, you don't understand what's at stake for the UFC/WEC.

·
Psychedelic
891 Posts

I'm watching the fights right now, I really really like the event overall. I think this is becoming a big problem where champions are hesitant and play it "safe" in order to keep their belt.

We have seen it soooo much of this stuff lately. I dunno if this is just a new trend or a bad streak but most championship fights have leaved much to be desired in UFC 112, Strikeforce: Nashville and now to some extent WEC 48 :(

In general I like the undercard and prelims more because fighters put shit on the line all the time and go balls to the walls to increase their rankings and make impressive performances.

These conservative championships are no fun but I guess strategy is a big part of the game and I don't think and rules needs changing.

Atleast Ben Henderson delivered in big fashion! But you cannot bash the Aldo fight that much because I think we saw four awesome rounds and one bad round at the end. Overall a good fight!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
This makes no sense, at least not for me.
Let UFC continue to recruit the best fighters and mma will sell it self world wide.
There´s nothing a single fighter can do to jeopardize it.
Let's me explain it to you then. They were plenty of people whose first UFC fight was that Abu Dhabi fight which they paid a lot of money for. After watching that embarrassment of that main event and most of the other fights on that card, they won't be buying another UFC event again. The WEC PPV was much better than UFC 112, but as the WEC struggles to find their niche, they cannot have guys coasting it for a decision victory. To get people to buy into watching lighter weight classes, you need action. The UFC got rid of their LW division once upon a time because of a lack of that.

·
The Bearded One
4,150 Posts
If you think think guys running for the last rounds like Anderson Silva did in Abu Dhabi is good for the sport, you don't understand what's at stake for the UFC/WEC.
wow

Now you´ve lost your reason. No one said or implied such a thing.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wow

Now you´ve lost your reason. No one said or implied such a thing.
Yes someone advocated not fighting and putting himself at risk in the last round:

Why would Aldo risk losing in the 5th when he so clearly won the fight up to that point? It would have really sucked to see Aldo get ko'ed in the 5th because he was trying to finish when he didn't need to.
If you're up in the fight, why throw any punches at all in the last round and risk getting countered? They should just run around in circles as it'll guarantee them the win with zero risk right?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes someone advocated not fighting and putting himself at risk in the last round:

If you're up in the fight, why throw any punches at all in the last round and risk getting countered? They should just run around in circles as it'll guarantee them the win with zero risk right?
Why should a fighter throw any punches at all after he gains a solid point advantage in any round? That is too risky! He should start running around the ring and avoiding any confrontation whatsoever once a solid lead is established. It will then become the losing fighters duty to chase down the winning fighter and score enough points to establish a clear advantage. Of course, if the lead changes, the new leader must then run around.

This is how fights should work. Like tag.

·
The American Dream
586 Posts
So what we are implying here is that if a Champ doesnt finish the fight it was a shitty fight?

I can honestly say i loved the fight and that it will have no detrimental effects on WEC.

I also believe that Aldo didnt want to hurt him. He clearly wasnt gassed i just think he was showing some mercy.

·
Psychedelic
891 Posts
So what we are implying here is that if a Champ doesnt finish the fight it was a shitty fight?

I can honestly say i loved the fight and that it will have no detrimental effects on WEC.

I also believe that Aldo didnt want to hurt him. He clearly wasnt gassed i just think he was showing some mercy.
Yeah, I really liked the fight alot! Only round 5 was lacking. The other 20 minutes were awesome if a bit one sided in Aldos favor.

Aldo is just awesome, and Urijah aswell! :thumb02:

·
Any Weight, Anytime...
447 Posts
Im of the opinion that Aldo knew he was superior in very aspect and didnt wanna kill the poor guy in his own town, he knew Faber was already broken beyond repair.

To me, THATS A HUMBLE FIGHTER DESERVING OF A BELT.

·
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
9,814 Posts
Im of the opinion that Aldo knew he was superior in very aspect and didnt wanna kill the poor guy in his own town, he knew Faber was already broken beyond repair.

To me, THATS A HUMBLE FIGHTER DESERVING OF A BELT.
I agree. I think he gained a lot of respect for fabers' heart and didn't want to cripple his leg.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
You know he could have kicked or punched him other places than his left leg if he really thought he was going to cripple him. Aldo was truthful in his post fight interview watch the fight again when Faber switches stances in other rounds Aldo doesn't attack as much.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts