Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,268 Posts
Hopefully Pettis won't be the next Demetrious Johnson / Eddie Alvarez.

Sitting on the sidelines for a year relying on his side hustles.

·
The Title Guy
17,776 Posts
That's like what happened with Rory MacDonald when he signed with Professional Fighters League and was hoping to get a shot at a million dollar but instead because of this got sidelined. To be fair if he wanted to I'm sure he could've gotten fights elsewhere like with what happened with Kayla Harrison. Also Werdum is also signed to PFL.

·
Premium Member
7,268 Posts
Rory MacDonald vs Douglas Lima should have been a superfight.

Every fight Fedor had in bellator should have been a superfight.

Why weren't those superfights that got the recognition and attention they deserved?

That's something they need to look into if they're backing up their claims of Michael Venom Page being better than Anderson Silva.

·
The Title Guy
17,776 Posts
Wait has Silva signed with anyone yet? Honestly he should retire or else he will continue to drag his legacy through the mud which is something he should just finish. I would hate to see him like Ken Shamrock who lived through his glory day legacy.

·
Premium Member
7,268 Posts
Boxers like Larry Holmes and George Foreman made comebacks into their mid 40s. I don't know if it tarnished their legacies considering most fans of MMA probably don't even know who they are. Was it good for their health is more the question I would like answered.

If no one signs Silva, I would guess he could end up fighting Bob Sapp in japan or something like that.

·
The Title Guy
17,776 Posts
All of these UFC fighters are signing up with the Professional Fighers League in order to get a crack at that million dollar jackpot. Not to mention we are talking about former UFC champions or in the case of Rory MacDonald a former Bellator champion. Either way the increase in competition has become a direct result of this.

·
Premium Member
7,268 Posts

Has good info. ^

Davis said the PFL is two years away from breaking even as it looks to solicit more investors for its $50 million round.

Seems to indicate PFL is so far into debt, they would need 2 years of events to break even.

Its a more high risk business model that isn't long term profitable the way the UFC is.

Same could be said of bellator, ONE FC, etc.

There's good info on how much $$ they raise, and how much of it finds its way into the hands of fighters.

·
The Title Guy
17,776 Posts
Well remember that at one point the UFC under the Fertittas intentionally took on corporate debt but they did it for financial security reasons more then because they needed the money to survive. I would like to know how WSOF was doing financially before the buyout and conversion to PFL. But yeah debt can literally kill a fight promotion.

·
Premium Member
7,268 Posts
The UFC is profitable, carries no debt and has long term stability.

ONE FC, Bellator, PFL and other fight promotions carry loads of debt and may not be stable long term. Like elite XC, strikeforce, etc.

That's the basic risk vs rewards breakdown.

If anyone cared about fighter pay they could read the link I posted and note how PFL raised between $50 and $100 million in capital. What percentage of that goes to fighters? Where does the rest of it go? I don't care. It doesn't affect me. If people who comment on unions, fighter pay, etc. Read and understood these info drops. They might have a different perspective on things.

·
The Title Guy
17,776 Posts
I don't deny the fact that right now the UFC is debt free but I remember reading articles during the Fertitta years about how they would take out corporate debt but that it wasn't like in the early days when they were bleeding money. Right now they are debt free but yes I agree that other promotions like ONE Championship, Bellator and PFL are spending more money then they are making which is sad considering their parent companies. Failure is in site otherwise.

·
Premium Member
7,268 Posts
In the early days, the UFC had no sponsors or TV deal. They struggled.

Later they made a TV deal with fox sports. Everyone got a pay hike. Later the ESPN TV deal which was much bigger. Everyone got a pay hike again.

Athletes are naturally paid more as MMA grows bigger and gains support.

Pride could afford to pay well when they drew crowds of 50,000 spectators at saitama super arena. Bellator would have a hard time matching that doing shows where only 1,000 people show up.

Unions in the USA are a democrat party run institution. All of the leaders and influential people in american unions are democrat party affiliates. Which is why leaders of UFC unionization movements like project spearhead are registered democrats like Leslie Smith who attend BLM Antifa riots.

Only the basics.

·
The Title Guy
17,776 Posts
Yeah, fortunately the MMA world is remaining mainly untouched by the progressive front because even though people like Leslie Smith are there, they aren't dictating how things go in the promotions. Even with the UFC and Bellator being owned by major companies, the companies know their audiences. MMA isn't a get woke, go broke and survive industry.

·
Premium Member
7,268 Posts
Yeah, fortunately the MMA world is remaining mainly untouched by the progressive front because even though people like Leslie Smith are there, they aren't dictating how things go in the promotions.
They push a fake agenda that says UFC underpays fighters.

They don't tell you bellator, one fc, pfl, bareknuckle fc put themselves heavily into debt to pay their salaries.

Its a coordinated effort to push fake news.

MMA isn't a get woke, go broke and survive industry.

Lots of

"Michael Bisping White Privilege" content.

For an industry that "isn't" woke.

·
The Title Guy
17,776 Posts
I mean that the promotions themselves aren't in woke mode, at least not yet. Dana White understands his audience and while WME-IMG has changed some ways in how the promotion operates, they know that Dana knows what's best and will leave it to him to run the promotion. There's a reason he could openly endorse Trump and still have a job.

·
The Title Guy
17,776 Posts
I'm not sure that's going to happen considering their limited format and the small roster every season.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts