Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publish/Affliction2/article_4972.shtml

by Jamie Penick

"It was a decisive defeat. I would like to state a word of appreciation for Mr. Scott Coker and DREAM staff who have worked hard to make this fight a reality. I would like to congratulate Gilbert Melendez for defending his title in our fight tonight. Though some may perceive this as a loss for Japanese MMA, my spirit is not broken and I plan on going back to Japan and putting forth prodigious effort so that I will be able to challenge for the title once again. The difference between fighting in the cage and the ring was negligible, and Melendez was just plain good. Fighting in the cage for the first time, I felt comfortable in the new setting and had a blast. I am just grateful that I got to step into the cage. Right now, I am in no position of asking for a (DREAM) rematch and I think it's best that I strive to raise the value of 'Shinya Aoki' so that Melendez can say, 'I do not mind fighting Aoki once again' on his accord. As things stand right now, I would cringe if I said, 'I want to fight him again.'"

-Shinya Aoki
Pretty refereshing stuff from Fancypants.

·
CoutureCop
6,091 Posts
Classy for Aoki. I'm still a fan. His previous monstrous subs are still fantastic.

I'd like to see him put on some muscle so he isn't manhandled anymore, and work on some more agressive takedowns. I don't see his standup ever being good enough to want to change his gameplan, but instead he should develop strategies in case anyone else decides to stay away and land some well timed, and surprising, strikes. He needs some Maia-esque takedowns.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Classy words. I don't know what he's going to be putting his "prodigious effort" into, but unless it involves learning how to become an effective kickboxer or muay thai fighter or at the very least, a skilled takedown artist, any discussion of a rematch or a title run in a U.S. based organization is completely unrealistic.

Even if he did, it would take him two years to become competent enough to compete effectively as a striker or wrestler.

And I mean, two years training stateside, not in Japan.

·
Banned
439 Posts
Wow, pretty classy for someone who flipped off his last opponent after breaking his arm. Good for him and I hope he does learn from this. He won't be able to butt scoot in American MMA so he needs to learn how to wrestle and take people down. Once he gets his opponent on the ground the rest is academic.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Yeah, that was a scumbag move by Aoki. I wish Melendez had beaten his ass a little bit more. Then again, Melendez had his own barbaric punk moment later in the evening.

What a stupid night. Aoki butt scooting, Melendez punking out Miller. The diaz scumbags. Strikefarce indeed.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
time to train the takedowns and a lot more kickboxing. hes got the subs, hes young, and im sure any camp would be elated to get him to come in and improve.
Yes indeed, at his age, I don't see why a Florian-esque improvement in striking couldn't be made in 2-3 years at a great camp. I think Aoki might surprise us...he may actually be enough of an "MMA Geek" as he calls it to override his pro-Japan pride and come to the states. Wouldn't shock me at all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.