Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gracie! Once one of if not the most feared names in all of mixed martial arts. Now the pioneer family struggles to find a place as well as relevancy in an ever evolving sport. On April, 10Th at UFC 112 in Abu Dhabi living legend Renzo Gracie is the next family member to try erase the vision of the fallen Gracie in the cage, against former welterweight champion Matt Hughes.

While the name Gracie is synonymous with jiu-jitsu, the inability or desire to develop a quality stand up approach seems to be the downfall of the Gracie fighters. As recent as UFC 109 we watched Rolles Gracie look typical and amazing on the ground, but when the fight made its way standing he looked more like a tough man competitor rather than an elite fighter.

Renzo who is (13-6-1 1NC) is making his UFC debut after a three year hiatus since posting a three fight win streak.

Renzo is fighting former welterweight champion Matt Hughes at UFC 112 in Abu Dhabi. Hughes beat Renzo's cousin and first ever UFC champion Royce Gracie. Although Renzo insist that this isn't a fight for revenge, rather a fight to restore pride in the Gracie family and name. That's where the question lies. Are the Gracies still relevant?

source and full article

·
Banned
670 Posts
The Gracies were relevant when BJJ was the number 1 style to win fights, now it is about fourth and everyone that is nyone can defent it, no, they are one part of about 8 disiplines needed to win today consistently in MMA. Renzo and his family just cannot accect they are just another form and it has evolved past them. All the respect Gracies but you need to wrestle, then box, then etc, etc, etc.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Interesting thoughts :thumbsup:

I think there a few things that are leaving the Gracies behind:

- Their inability to take a serious approach on their stand up.

- Not choosing (refusing?) to fully adapt and evolve their Gracie JJ (ex: not employing rubber guard).

- Simply everyone else catching up.

Without a doubt the name Gracie will always have a lore about it, and they will always be highly respected. Though at this point, they're a much bigger part of MMA's history, than it's future.

·
Homicidal Maniac
6,197 Posts
the gracies are very relevant to the ufc and mma still today everyone when they thing of the gracies they think of royce gracie but he was just the poster boy, the gracies still have real fighters in their family

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's interesting to think about really - the Gracies made their name in a time when MMA consisted of guys who could do one thing really well, and in these times when a sucessful, consistent fighter (especially in the UFC) has to use a broad range of skills.. of course the name is going to mean less. The Gracie BJJ is always going to be a part of the game, but it's in no way THE style anymore.

·
I Finish Threads
9,061 Posts
yes they are. moreso to BJJ than MMA today but a gracie belt means more than practically any other trainer in BJJ skill and is a respectable basis or adopted skillset for an MMA fighter. So yes in all ways, yes.

·
The Forum Drunk
9,450 Posts
there are a couple that can hang.

but largely... not so much, the game is in constant evolution. the great fighters today, are going to be the gate keepers of tomorrow.

·
I Finish Threads
9,061 Posts
there are a couple that can hang.

but largely... not so much, the game is in constant evolution. the great fighters today, are going to be the gate keepers of tomorrow.
they're not even that. they are the GJJ trainers of today and I'm not convinced we'll see them be successful at a contender level of MMA again. Roger was my best bet and he has sort of disappeared.The family pride holds back their evolution and until that changes they are going to be stuck in this rut.

I bet on Renzo FWIW ;)

·
The Forum Drunk
9,450 Posts
they're not even that. they are the GJJ trainers of today and I'm not convinced we'll see them be successful at a contender level of MMA again. Roger was my best bet and he has sort of disappeared.The family pride holds back their evolution and until that changes they are going to be stuck in this rut.

I bet on Renzo FWIW ;)
Absolutely.

God I hope renzo wins, I almost dropped some coin on him but for some reason I think hughes will grind out a decision >_<

·
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
9,815 Posts
I don't know how relevant they are....I'm looking forward to renzo's fight more than the 2 championship fights.But I don't really expect another gracie at the top of the sport soon.

I do know they are deserving of a lot more respect and credit than they get. they didn't just start the ufc they did the same thing in japan. Pride and the whole japanese mma scene grew from a national desire to defeat gracies.

·
Banned
670 Posts
IMHO Royce Gracie will always be he best p4p (although that is a junk title) legitimetely in MMA history, the guy fought what 3 or 4 guys in one night, props to him forever and Don Frye and MArc Coleman the pioneers of this great sport

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I dont know any grace which is relevant and renzo will get mauled by Hughes.

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Gracie's are not relevant. No disrespect, they had their day. They wanted to be the best style of martial arts and that was very important to them. They basically proved that their style was/is the best single style. MMA has evolved well past any single style and Gracie relevance has ended in the sport. 10th Planet is where it is at these days for the MMA submission game with wrestling providing the grappling game and ground and pound.

I will respect their art as a traditional martial art, but in MMA it is just one aspect of a complete fighter.

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
Gracie's are not relevant. No disrespect, they had their day. They wanted to be the best style of martial arts and that was very important to them. They basically proved that their style was/is the best single style. MMA has evolved well past any single style and Gracie relevance has ended in the sport. 10th Planet is where it is at these days for the MMA submission game with wrestling providing the grappling game and ground and pound.

I will respect their art as a traditional martial art, but in MMA it is just one aspect of a complete fighter.
Agree on some points, but truth of the matter is the Gracies will always be relevant as any pioneer should be. The laid the groundwork for others' to follow. They need to concentrate on striking to keep up in the game.

On another note I predict there will be various branches of Jiu Jitsu soon enough like Karate. 10th Planet is the beginning with the rubber guard technique. Then you got Fitch with his "Guerilla Jiu Jitsu" or whatever he calls it. I'm sure there's still some very obscure submissions that havn't been discovered yet.

·
Earthquake Survivor
1,936 Posts
Agree on some points, but truth of the matter is the Gracies will always be relevant as any pioneer should be. The laid the groundwork for others' to follow. They need to concentrate on striking to keep up in the game.

On another note I predict there will be various branches of Jiu Jitsu soon enough like Karate. 10th Planet is the beginning with the rubber guard technique. Then you got Fitch with his "Guerilla Jiu Jitsu" or whatever he calls it. I'm sure there's still some very obscure submissions that havn't been discovered yet.
That's actually Dave Camarillo's brand

http://www.akakickbox.com/aka-dave-camarillo.html

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
Every Gracie has been given to much credit since Helio was still kicking.

·
Registered
453 Posts
It is a very interesting question. Clearly no-one can diminish what the Gracie's achieved at the birth of the sport. Their work created the foundation for what modern MMA has become. For that they will always be, to an extent, relevant and much more importantly they will be respected.

However, in terms of actual MMA competing, they bare no real relevance to the sport as individuals. It will be a long while before a Gracie holds a higher organisation title. However as a family name, Gracie Jiu Jitsu is still a very important part of the modern day game. It may not be THE style any more, but it is certainly one of the most important.

So basically as individuals they are not particularly relevant to the modern day scene, but as a family, a name and an institution they will always be.

Reactions: oldfan

·
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
9,815 Posts
Every Gracie has been given to much credit since Helio was still kicking.
too much credit for what? For creating a new sport on 2 continents and the islands of japan?

Royce came to America, Rickson went to japan, the results were the same. Two nations took notice and said oh shit! we've gotta learn how to beat these guys! and we did.

They aren't the best fighters in the world. They aren't the best sportsmen in the world, but without them we'd probably be arguing about K-1 and the only option wrestlers would have is the wwe.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts