Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While Dana White and Rampage Jackson have been on less than friendly terms of late after Jackson pulled out of a fight with his coaching counter-part in the latest season of The Ultimate Fighter to play the part of B.A in the new A-Team movie, all out war between the two has not yet been declared.

Comments emerging from Dana White after last nights UFC 105 post-fight press conference suggests that may be about to change.

According to Dave Meltzer at Yahoo! Sports, Dana White had the following to say about the situation with the former light heavyweight champion.

“Something’s about to happen there,” White said. “You know me, we were good friends. When I’m your friend, I’m your best friend on the world. But we’re not friends anymore, and when I’m your enemy, I’m a bad enemy to have.”

Exactly what the “something” that White refers to is we do not yet know. It’s perhaps interesting to note a comment from White during the UFC 106 conference call on Friday.

“Yeah, I’m sure we will (see him back in the UFC),” said White “Rampage is under contract with us and this is where he makes his money, so I’d say yes.”

Will the UFC look to pursue legal action against Rampage if he continue to turn his back on the promotion?

Whether this is the case or not it appears that there are going to be new developments in this story in the near future.
Source: fightofthenight.com

·
Premium Member
3,473 Posts
I was always expecting the UFC to pull the "contract" card. I'm surprised they didn't do it sooner.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
of course they havent pulled it sooner and this isnt really it atm, he isnt trying to fight right now, he has his mind set of movies.

·
Registered
773 Posts
dana white aint nobodys friend...i hope rampages acting career takes off so he dont have to deal with this dirt bag

·
Premium Member
3,473 Posts

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
what legal action the guy isnt fighting, you cant force him to fight. Obv if he comes back it will be with the UFC and imo obv he is coming back, regardless of the movie doing well or not.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well it's all speculation at the moment but from Dana's comments it seems that he has something up his sleeve.

I wonder what the exact terms of Rampage's contract with the UFC are. Do they have any control over his image rights for instance? The UFC have a team of lawyers so if there is a loophole then they'll find it.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
This is going to be great! When Rampage finally fights again, Dana is going to give him the biggest fight of his life and people all over the world will tune in (depends if they think Dana or Rampage is in the right) and it's going to be huge! I can't wait for this!!

:sarcastic12::sarcastic12::sarcastic12::sarcastic12::sarcastic12::sarcastic12::confused05::confused05:

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
look around at the LHW division, who is more qualifed then Rampage to get a huge fight if he came back?? Pretty much nobody.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
I don't understand the situation. If a fighter's contract says you have 2 fights left on it doesn't that mean you have to fight those 2 fights unless you are injured. If you were to pull this stunt in hockey you'd be facing legal charges the very next day,

nahhhh I don't feel like playing any more, it's too stressful, I'ma try acting

alright, I'll see your ass in court.

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
I don't understand the situation. If a fighter's contract says you have 2 fights left on it doesn't that mean you have to fight those 2 fights unless you are injured. If you were to pull this stunt in hockey you'd be facing legal charges the very next day,

nahhhh I don't feel like playing any more, it's too stressful, I'ma try acting

alright, I'll see your ass in court.
ummm your talking nonsense. In any sport you can leave (remember Jordan) if you dont want to play anymore and you can come back (remember Favre) but if you are under contract you will have to come back to the team that holds said contract. Hell, some players that have NBA contracts sign with euro teams (Childress, Ricky Rubio) and play in completely different leagues because those NBA contracts arent binding in europe. SAME FOR HOCKEY, plently of players split for europe while still signed with NHL teams, name one case where a player has left and been sued?? Nevermind a player who chooses to retire (in essense what Rampage has done), this just in Joe Sakic retires and the Av's sue him because he had a year left on his deal?? LOL yea right... by all intents and purposes you can consider Rampage Jackson RETIRED from fighting for the time being, he isnt actively seeking deals to fight elsewhere.

You are acting like teams own your soul when you sign a deal and you HAVE to play for the years signed or you can be sued... that is utter nonsense, if you choose to leave a sport you can do so ANYTIME no matter how big or long the deal you signed was. Plenty of players leave deals with enormous $ left on them to retire and/or pursue other interests like investing, broadcasting etc etc

·
Banned
0 Posts
He can retire from fighting. If he wants to fight again he will have to fight in the UFC. Dana can do nothing really apart from cry that Rampage doesn't want to fight.

This he can do....However there really isnt a movie career out there for Rampage, the dude doesnt really speak well for a true actor, i dont plan on seeing him in any Drama's....

The point is he makes his real money fighting and when he realizes that there arent any roles for him out there and needs bread......

Thats when Dana will really stick it to Rampage......

·
Premium Member
2,150 Posts
ummm your talking nonsense. In any sport you can leave (remember Jordan) if you dont want to play anymore and you can come back (remember Favre) but if you are under contract you will have to come back to the team that holds said contract. Hell, some players that have NBA contracts sign with euro teams (Childress, Ricky Rubio) and play in completely different leagues because those NBA contracts arent binding in europe. SAME FOR HOCKEY, plently of players split for europe while still signed with NHL teams, name one case where a player has left and been sued?? Nevermind a player who chooses to retire (in essense what Rampage has done), this just in Joe Sakic retires and the Av's sue him because he had a year left on his deal?? LOL yea right... by all intents and purposes you can consider Rampage Jackson RETIRED from fighting for the time being, he isnt actively seeking deals to fight elsewhere.

You are acting like teams own your soul when you sign a deal and you HAVE to play for the years signed or you can be sued... that is utter nonsense, if you choose to leave a sport you can do so ANYTIME no matter how big or long the deal you signed was. Plenty of players leave deals with enormous $ left on them to retire and/or pursue other interests like investing, broadcasting etc etc
They can't force him to fight, however, depending on the contract money they may be able to take back a portion of the money they paid him.

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
They can't force him to fight, however, depending on the contract money they may be able to take back a portion of the money they paid him.
Unless he gets paid in advance which i find unlikely, i dont think there is a way for the UFC to recoup w/e losses they think they are taking from him retiring. If he was paid in advance i guess it's possible, but really, how much would they give him in advance?? I dont see it being a ridiculous number. Rampage could just simply come into court and say he was sick of being punched in the face and he has medical reasons for leaving... wtf is the UFC gonna say?? We want $ back now?? What kind of message would that send to other fighters?? Bad business to go after a guy who isnt in the sport anymore because he basically retired.

All of this is moot to me really, we all know that Dana wants Page back, we all know eventually Page will want to come back, we all know he will get one easy fight and then a title shot, we all know he will be the champ again ;)

·
Premium Member
2,150 Posts
Unless he gets paid in advance which i find unlikely, i dont think there is a way for the UFC to recoup w/e losses they think they are taking from him retiring. If he was paid in advance i guess it's possible, but really, how much would they give him in advance?? I dont see it being a ridiculous number. Rampage could just simply come into court and say he was sick of being punched in the face and he has medical reasons for leaving... wtf is the UFC gonna say?? We want $ back now?? What kind of message would that send to other fighters?? Bad business to go after a guy who isnt in the sport anymore because he basically retired.

All of this is moot to me really, we all know that Dana wants Page back, we all know eventually Page will want to come back, we all know he will get one easy fight and then a title shot, we all know he will be the champ again ;)
Again, can't say anything for sure without actually reading Jackson's contract. However, like you said he might have received a signing bonus. Also it's possible they can claim damages because of the money the invested in him, TUF, and hosting a fight in his hometown.

If he wanted to claim sick/injured he would have to show medical evidence in a court. Especially since he has stated in public that he is retiring for different reasons.

I don't know how closely you follow football, but Terrell Owens is a great example. When he played for the Eagles he caused so many problems in the locker room that Eagles ended up cutting them (the team initiated the break of contract) and were still able to successfully sue for repayment of signing bonus monies.

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
dana white aint nobodys friend...i hope rampages acting career takes off so he dont have to deal with this dirt bag
Acting Career? Yep, one or two movies, and he will certainly be right in line for the best actor Oscar right?

Quinton "Ramapage" Jackson starring in "Titties".

Should be awesome! :sarcastic11:

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
Again, can't say anything for sure without actually reading Jackson's contract. However, like you said he might have received a signing bonus. Also it's possible they can claim damages because of the money the invested in him, TUF, and hosting a fight in his hometown.

If he wanted to claim sick/injured he would have to show medical evidence in a court. Especially since he has stated in public that he is retiring for different reasons.

I don't know how closely you follow football, but Terrell Owens is a great example. When he played for the Eagles he caused so many problems in the locker room that Eagles ended up cutting them (the team initiated the break of contract) and were still able to successfully sue for repayment of signing bonus monies.
its not hard to say you have head injuries, neck injuries and with the $ rampage has he can get many prestiged doctors to agree as both are VERY hard to prove, but dana doesnt want to go into some long drawn out court proceeding for what is like a small signing bonus (dana scoffed at giving dan 1mil signging so im guessing the most guys get is a couple hundred thousand MAYBE). Either way Rampage can say he honored the agreement to the best of his abilities and isnt mentally fit to fight (hell he did go crazy, get arrested and go to a mental accessment, its not a reach). If he signed something about paying back a portion if he doesnt honor all fights then i guess he will do that, but i dont think it will be a big deal.

As for UFC sueing for promoting him?? I dont think they would have a leg to stand on, same with hosting a show in his hometown or TUF.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Acting Career? Yep, one or two movies, and he will certainly be right in line for the best actor Oscar right?

Quinton "Ramapage" Jackson starring in "Titties".

Should be awesome! :sarcastic11:

wow your really bright arn't you.....you missed the part were i said that rampage is gonna storm cannes film festival and then get get more critical acclaim than orson welles.

If he does decent he'll probably make more money from one movie than he would in the UFC.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts