Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
.:Jeet Kune Do:.
5,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While most employees would be pleased to hear their boss offer them a shot at the golden ticket if they perform, Renato "Babalu" Sobral offered a surprising answer when asked if he would like a title shot after defeating Robbie Lawler tonight to become the number one contender for the light heavyweight championship, held by Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal.

Therein lies the problem for Babalu, as he often perfects his MMA skills at Mark Munoz's Reign Training Center in Lake Forrest, CA – the same facility Lawal frequents. RTC also served as King Mo's primary gym in his preparation for Mousasi, with Babalu actively participating in his training camp.

After defeating Robbie Lawler via unanimous decision to become the top contender for Lawal's title at Strikeforce: Los Angeles tonight, Babalu stated that he didn't want to fight his friend and asked for a rematch with Dan Henderson. Henderson won their first outing in 2000 via split decision.

It remains to be seen if Strikeforce will grant Babalu a rematch with Henderson, or if they will work overtime to try to convince Babalu and Lawal to face each other.

Thanks to Tim Ngo for contributing to this article.
Source-http://www.fightline.com/fl/news/2010/0616/529221/renato-babalu-sobral/index.shtml

Lol its just sad how they have no one and give title shots out to anyone haha

Evangelista Santos who is one of the biggest BUMS lol will prob get the next shot at Nick Diaz lol

·
Forum "Superhero"
1,487 Posts
Source-http://www.fightline.com/fl/news/2010/0616/529221/renato-babalu-sobral/index.shtml

Lol its just sad how they have no one and give title shots out to anyone haha

Evangelista Santos who is one of the biggest BUMS lol will prob get the next shot at Nick Diaz lol
wait santos just beat zaromskis who came off a title fight with diaz and tko'd him. i think you have to give him more credit than that. the guy opened my eyes and he proved hes not just some grappler.

as far as the qoute, i think a rematch would be very interesting at this point

·
Registered
55 Posts
Have to agree with the consensus, Babalu has no chance against Hendo. Standing or on the ground.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Saying Babalu has no chance against anyone at 185/205 on the ground is an ignorant statement at best.
Hendo has only been submitted by Team Nogueira fighters. Babalu's jitz is no where near this caliber. Hendo would destroy Babalu in guard without needing to pass. Babalu is not going to submit Hendo. Period.

/thread

·
Fruits & Vegetables
2,580 Posts
Hendo has only been submitted by Team Nogueira fighters. Babalu's jitz is no where near this caliber. Hendo would destroy Babalu in guard without needing to pass. Babalu is not going to submit Hendo. Period.

/thread
Kinda like how Sheilds was gonna get destroyed by Hendo? :thumb02:

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Kinda like how Sheilds was gonna get destroyed by Hendo? :thumb02:
I don't think Babalu can hump Hendo for 3 rounds. Henderson knew that it was possible that he would be "humped to death".

·
Registered
291 Posts

/thread
Babalu's BJJ is similar to Lil Nog's and most probably better than Anderson's, although we rarely get to see the Spider's. Babalu could choke out Hendo, or control him from the top. Babalu's GNP is far nastier than Shield's. Check out the Sinosic and Heath fights. Saying Babalu's BJJ is "nowhere near" Lil Nog's and Anderson's is laughable. Babs has a very active guard also.

·
On a Rampage
1,845 Posts
First I want to start by saying I don't think Dan Henderson is that good anymore. The bright side is that you don't have to be that good to beat Babalu. In the last 3 years he's done nothing impressive. Babalu sneaked out a decision against Lawler, a MW with hardly any top wins in his career. He also beat Sokky, but all you have to do is survive the first round to beat him. Babalu isn't a great fighter, he's a descent fighter. I don't think he has the goods to beat Hendo.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Babalu is a one trick pony and when that one trick is BJJ you better be able to get the fight to your area, something I really don't see happening. Babalu isn't taking Dan down and standing even though Hendo's striking is far from world class he's much better than Babalu and there's no way Babalu's KO'ing Hendo. Hendo by TKO 2nd round. As for the guys saying "he was supposed to beat Shields" Shields although the underdog going into that fight by alot of people on this forum, is a much better fighter than Babalu and also vastly different, his wrestling is way better than Babalu's. Babalu is mediocre at best, Dan may be old but I'll take him all day here.

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
Babalu is a one trick pony and when that one trick is BJJ you better be able to get the fight to your area, something I really don't see happening. Babalu isn't taking Dan down and standing even though Hendo's striking is far from world class he's much better than Babalu and there's no way Babalu's KO'ing Hendo. Hendo by TKO 2nd round. As for the guys saying "he was supposed to beat Shields" Shields although the underdog going into that fight by alot of people on this forum, is a much better fighter than Babalu and also vastly different, his wrestling is way better than Babalu's. Babalu is mediocre at best, Dan may be old but I'll take him all day here.
Sobral has very decent kickboxing. He may not be a world class striker, but he's got standup on his resume for sure.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Sobral has very decent kickboxing. He may not be a world class striker, but he's got standup on his resume for sure.
I mean yeah he's kinda okay he's not a complete can standing or anything but do you honestly think he's gonna KO or TKO Hendo because I don't. Even at this stage in his career I dont think Hendo should lose this match, I think he will keep the fight standing and get a TKO. Hendo is gonna make Sobral brawl and I dont think Babalu can win a brawling fight against Dan.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Babalu has very good wresting, I wouldn't say Shields' is way better.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.