Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
RNC - the fighting mans lullaby
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the UFC has rules against greasing, but the use of baby oil is difficult to regulate. Vaseline will leave a fighter greasy after it has been rubbed in, whereas baby oil leaves you dry but will release from your pores when you sweat.

Does the UFC stipulate that the use of baby oil pre-fight is forbidden? If not surely this technique is already being used by some fighters / camps?

·
Registered
877 Posts
I know the UFC has rules against greasing, but the use of baby oil is difficult to regulate. Vaseline will leave a fighter greasy after it has been rubbed in, whereas baby oil leaves you dry but will release from your pores when you sweat.

Does the UFC stipulate that the use of baby oil pre-fight is forbidden? If not surely this technique is already being used by some fighters / camps?
Baby oil, LOL!

I have seen interviews with several fighters implying, that some fighters rub oil on their bodies the day before to get slippery. This could very well be baby oil.

They do not check the fighters for traces of oil ät the weigh-ins, so there is your answer.

·
Banned
525 Posts
I'm sure some fighters do something along those line. But fact of the matter is that all you really need to do is work up a good sweat prior to the match. Regardless, it doesn't matter how much oil, Vaseline, sweat, ...love butter?, whatever the **** ever you use to get lubricated, it does not matter how slippery you are when a top tier grappler has a sure grip of one of your limbs or body, you won't get away. I'm not even a world class grappler, but I've done enough that if you show me any person, greased up or not and I can show you numerous ways to either control a limb or him entirely. Fact of the matter is, when someone has a sure grip above a joint, meathook above the point of the elbow, or around your body, Gable gripped double underhooks, how well lubricated you are doesn't come into play.

·
Earthquake Survivor
1,936 Posts
I'm sure some fighters do something along those line. But fact of the matter is that all you really need to do is work up a good sweat prior to the match. Regardless, it doesn't matter how much oil, Vaseline, sweat, ...love butter?, whatever the **** ever you use to get lubricated, it does not matter how slippery you are when a top tier grappler has a sure grip of one of your limbs or body, you won't get away. I'm not even a world class grappler, but I've done enough that if you show me any person, greased up or not and I can show you numerous ways to either control a limb or him entirely. Fact of the matter is, when someone has a sure grip above a joint, meathook above the point of the elbow, or around your body, Gable gripped double underhooks, how well lubricated you are doesn't come into play.
That's all fine and dandy, but it's not the point at all, there are a lot of moments where you don't have that sure of a grip but could've finished the sub if your opponent wasnt greased up, plus what about closed guard?

·
Banned
525 Posts
That's all fine and dandy, but it's not the point at all, there are a lot of moments where you don't have that sure of a grip but could've finished the sub if your opponent wasnt greased up, plus what about closed guard?
What about closed guard? Control the body, double underhooks, then the greasy monkey won't pass. Simple as that.

And RAM, SHHHHH!

·
Registered
164 Posts

the rule is that only GSP is allowed to use baby oil. Hope that helps.

·
I Finish Threads
9,061 Posts
The point isn't that grease is some kind of superweapon that will make you undefeatable, the problem is that it does provide an advantage in some ways and can change the outcome of the fight.

·
Banned
525 Posts
The point isn't that grease is some kind of superweapon that will make you undefeatable, the problem is that it does provide an advantage in some ways and can change the outcome of the fight.
I realize that's the point you guys are trying to make. I personally don't think it provides any advantage if you are up against a technically excellent grappler, like any professional fighter should be.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Okay, next fight get BJ all greased up and see if it does a shit of difference. GSP owned him, this is all just a backlash against what was obviously a superior fighter in that one fight. Am I a GSP fan, yes, but still I am sucure enough in any decision, because I realize the fact that any fighter, in any fight, can lose. The way the world works folks. GSP could get knocked out by Kos, I know this, you know this. I don't think anybody in the world can say either way wether GSP was in fact greased, people just need a reason to hate on him.

·
Banned
525 Posts
Okay, next fight get BJ all greased up and see if it does a shit of difference. GSP owned him, this is all just a backlash against what was obviously a superior fighter in that one fight. Am I a GSP fan, yes, but still I am sucure enough in any decision, because I realize the fact that any fighter, in any fight, can lose. The way the world works folks. GSP could get knocked out by Kos, I know this, you know this. I don't think anybody in the world can say either way wether GSP was in fact greased, people just need a reason to hate on him.
Not a GSP hate thread. Good job on probably turning it into one though.

·
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was ready to flame this

suffersystem said:
This is why I should not be allowed to post on the internet after drinking, lol.
but then this made me lol :D

Really though, its nothing to do with GSP. I've seen Muay Thai bouts where theyve used oil in the dressing rooms and it got me thinking. That, and i admit to being a huge nancy and every now and then i let my girl rub me down with oil and i notice it dries, but then releases when i sweat.

It aint vaseline and its not easy to regulate, so i wouldnt be surprised at all if someone has done this, or is doing this.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
I thought after "Grease-gate", one of the new rules implemented, (along with officials now applying vaseline ect..), was that they had to have a "controlled" shower right before the fight?? This was obviously to address that scenario. I could be wrong, I thought I read that.

·
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I thought after "Grease-gate", one of the new rules implemented, (along with officials now applying vaseline ect..), was that they had to have a "controlled" shower right before the fight?? This was obviously to address that scenario. I could be wrong, I thought I read that.
Havent heard that, but it sounds like a great idea. Especially if the ring girls are there to give you a little rub down!

Hell, I'd happily fight Fedor if i got a rub down off Arianny!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.