Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Muscle and Fittness magizine just ran a great six week barbell only routine last month that will help put on size for those looking to add weight and strength as well. If anyone is interested in seeing the plan leave a reply and I'll put it up tomorrow.

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
Yeah, I'd be interested to see what their suggestion for a strict free-weight routine is.

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
Yeah, if you do the deadlift right than you're sore in the morning.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
but man is it a great exercise for building strength and power since it works your Legs, Abs,Back and Arms, shoulders. umm chest. Hmmm what muscle don't it work if not directly then indirectly I can not think of a muscle system it does not affect if it is done correctly?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thats one of the core lifts also squating and bench press is also core lifts. Bench press works pretty much you entire upper body. And squating works your legs back traps shoulders and arms.

Phill

·
Registered
213 Posts
there are alot of great free weight exercises the bench is good but inferior the the dumbell press. the dumbell press you get more range of motion i try and use them both flat bench followed by dumbell flies then followed by incline dumbell press

theat will give you whole chest a solid work out the mistake alot of people make is. i have seen this alot and if you do this then STOP!! many people will start on the flat bench then go to incline bench then finnish in decline bench BAD idea you need to cycle trainin so for a month just do flat bench followed by you other exercises then the month after change to incline bench

a great forearm workout witch reall fuckin hurts is the farmers walk it works you legs your shoulders your upper back and DESTROYS YOUR FOREARMS not an exercise for pretenders but just look uo exercises online i would reccomend starting on the mechines if you are a begginer the get your joints an muscles used to the resistance and never start with really heavy weight you want to start with a rep range of 8-12 and do 3 sets. after a month or 2 of mechines start incorprating some free weights into your routine then after a month of using mechines and a bit of free weight you should be good to just go on a free weight rotine while doing just free weights use a rep range between 6-8

if you are looking to build muscle never do less than 6 reps and dont do more than 10 genraly i keep it between 8 to 10 reps

this is the bst way to build LEAN muscle and not apperar FAT

if you are wanting to get more power and strangh then use mainly compound exercises and use a rep range of 3to 6 please note that while doing this you will gain fat the reason for this is that the body needs to put weight on and fast this is not the most effective method for bodybuilding and will make you look more like a powerlifer you will gain a great amount of MASS

for muscle definition your rep range should be btween 10-15

as long as you are commited you will suceed i dont reccomend taking drugs easy come easy go you will be wastin money and time just stick to it eat well and feel better about yourself peace out

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is a 6 week plan, for adding mass and ultimately strength. It's a 3 day plan with lots of rest. Remember your trying to add mass so you must eat!

Weeks 1 - 2
Day 1 - Push Day (Chest, Triceps, Delts)

Incline Bench Press (Shoulder Width Grip) ~ Sets 2 ~ Reps 8-10*
|| || || (Wide Grip) ~ S 2 ~ R 8-10
Decline Bench Press ~ S 3 ~ R 8-10
Flat Bench Press ~ S 3 ~ R 8-10
Standing Military Press ~ S 3 ~ R 8-10*
Upright Row (Wide Grip) ~ S 2 ~ R 8-10
|| || (Close Grip) ~ S 2 ~ R 8-10
Front Raise ~ S 2 ~ R 8-10
Reverse- Grip Bench Press (Shoulder Width Grip) ~S 3 ~ R 8-10*
Seated Tricep Extension ~ S 3 ~ R 8-10
Skull Crushers ~ S 3 ~ R 8-10

Day 2 - Legs & Abs

Front Squat ~ Sets 3 ~ Reps 8-10*
Back || ~ S 3 ~ R 8-10
Hack || ~ S 3 ~ R 8-10
Alternating Lunge ~ S 3 ~ R 8-10
Romanian Deadlift ~ S 3 ~ R 8-10
Standing Calf Raise ~ S 3 ~ R 10-12
Seated || || ~ S 3 ~ R 15-20
Barbell Rollout ~ S 2 ~ R 12-15
Barbell Crunch ~ S 2 ~ R 10-12

Day 3 - Pull Day (Back, Traps, Biceps, Forearms)

Bent-Over Row (Overhand Shoulder Width) ~ Sets 3 ~ Reps 8-10*
|| || || (Overhand Wide Grip) ~ S 3 ~ R 8-10
|| || || (Underhand Grip) ~ S 3 ~ R 8-10
Decline Bench Pullover ~ S 3 ~ R 8-10
Shrug ~ S 2 ~ R 8-10*
Behind-Back Shrug ~ S 2 ~ R 8-10
Standing Curl ~ S 3 ~ R 8-10*
Preacher || ~ S 3 ~ R 8-10
Reverse-Grip Curl ~ S 3 ~ R 8-10

* 2-3 Light Warm-up sets
Rest 2-3 mins between all sets
Chose a weight that just allows you to complete listed reps

That's the first section of their plan I'll post weeks 3-4 tomorrow it's just to much copying to do it all at once.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We get into the smaller rep range and heavier weight in these weeks

Weeks 3-4
Day 1: Push Day

Flat Bench (Shoulder Width) ~ Sets 2 ~ Reps 5-7*
|| || (Wide) ~ S 2 ~ R 5-7
Decline Bench ~ S 3 ~ R 5-7
Underhand Press-Raise ~ S 3 ~ R 8-10
Seated Military Press ~ S 3 ~ R 5-7*
Incline Front Raise ~ S 3 ~ R 8-10
Upright Row (Wide) ~ S 3 ~ R 5-7
Upright Row (Close) ~ S 3 ~ R 5-7
Close-Grip Bench ~ S 3 ~ R 5-7*
Incline Tricep Extensions ~ S 3 ~ 8-10
Decline Tricep Extensions ~ S 3 ~ 8-10

Day 2 Legs & Abs:

Back Squat ~ Sets 3 ~ Reps 5-7*
Front Squat ~ S 3 ~ R 5-7
Hack Squat ~ S 3 ~ R 5-7
Alternating Lunge ~ S 3 ~ R 8-10
Romanian Deadlift ~ S 3 ~ R 8-10
Seated Calf Raise ~ S 3 ~ R 15-20
Standing Calf Raise ~ S 3 ~ R 8-10
Barbell Crunch ~ S 2 ~ R 10-12
Barbell Rollout ~ S 2 ~ R 12-15

Day 3 Pull Day

Bent-Over Row (Underhand) ~ S 3 ~ R 5-7*
|| || || (Overhand Wide) ~ S 3 ~ R 5-7
|| || || (Overhand Shoulder) ~ S 3 ~ R 5-7
Decline-Bench Pullover ~ S 3 ~ R 8-10
Behind-Back Shrug ~ S 2 ~ R 5-7
Shrug ~ S 2 ~ R 5-7
Seated Curl ~ S 3 ~ R 5-7
Incline-Bench Spider curl ~ S 3 ~ R 8-10
Reverse Curl ~ S 2 ~ R 8-10

·
Registered
1 Posts
WORKOUT 1

Front Squats, Back Squats, or Overhead Squats
Dumbbell Bench Press or Barbell Bench Press
Barbell Rows or Dumbbell Rows
Barbell Curls, Dumbbell Curls, or Close Grip Underhand Chins
Grip or Ab Exercise

WORKOUT 2

Barbell or Dumbbell Overhead Presses
Deadlifts, Stiff Leg Deadlifts, Rack Pulls, or Power Cleans
Dips
Wide Grip Chins
Grip or Ab Exercise

How many days a week? You do workout 1 and then wait two or three days before doing workout 2. After workout 2, you wait another two or three days and do workout 1. Repeat. So, in a given week you might workout on Monday, Thursday, and Sunday. Or Monday, Wednesday, Saturday. Or Monday, Thursday, Saturday. Basically, you do your next workout when you feel fully recovered. Sometimes you'll feel recovered in 48 hours, sometimes in 72 hours, and sometimes maybe not for 96 hours. It depends on myriad factors like the intensity of your last workout, sleep, diet, stress, your schedule, etc.

Sets and reps? Similar to the other program ? 4x6 or 5x5 (but only 3 work sets).

What are the advantages and disadvantages of this routine compared to the original one you posted? A downside to the original program that I posted is that if you miss a workout, you might not work the exercises or muscles in that workout for 2 weeks. As a result, it's imperative not to miss workouts. With this type of routine, if you can't make a workout on a given day, you just wait one or even two days and then do it. For people with hectic schedules or that can't always keep a workout schedule it's a good option.

Some people gain better from a more total body oriented workout as well. In a specialized routine, you completely annihilate each major muscle every 7 days. Some grow well from this approach; others don't. Others gain better from working each muscle with slightly less intensity more frequently.

Finally, to keep making gains it's good to mix up your routine a little from cycle to cycle, and this gives you another option.

·
Registered
8 Posts
RileyG said:
Muscle and Fittness magizine just ran a great six week barbell only routine last month that will help put on size for those looking to add weight and strength as well. If anyone is interested in seeing the plan leave a reply and I'll put it up tomorrow.
Sorry, but that routine looks terrible for gaining strength and size. I don't understand the concept of using isolation style movements for bulking.

Seroiously, to gain size and strength, stick to the basics. Deadlift, squat, bench, overhead press, C&J, pull-ups.

Lift heavy and eat a lot and you'll gain in no time. Try a 5x5, 8x3 or 10x1 routine such as...

Day 1
Squat 5x5
SLDL 5x5
Overhead 5x5

Day 3
Bench 5x5
Row 5x5
Chins 5x5

etc.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey guys,

Any recommendations for my situation. I recently moved to Japan and am living in a tiny town in the country side. I hoped to continue my muay thai training out here, but there's literally no instruction available within two hours of me (at least).

So I've been trying to keep at the weights at least, but the gym is very small with next to no machinery. There's a universal machine with an interchangeable Lat Pulldown/Chest Fly/etc-style component, a part with an interchangeable bench press, shoulder press, leg press (vertical movement) component and a component just for legs.

There's one akward bench press machine (never seen anything like it in Canada), a bunch of dumbbells (max weight only 25 lbs), one barbell, one forty lbs dumb bell and some cardio machines.

How could I tweak one of these programs to accomodate my limitations?

Thanks,

PCO

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
man...riley's day one is alrdy killing me...>.< sticking to 1 sets atm or else it'll screw my growth pattern too much..and for the bars..i weigh at..120 is 50 fine?...(i'm almost 15)..

Edit:..Front Raise too hard..doing all sets now..^_^

1 - 18 of 18 Posts