• Bas Rutten

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • Kimo Leopaldo

Votes: 4 25.0%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
1 2 3 Blast Off!
2,972 Posts
well i have barely seem either of them fight but i like kimo a little better so kimo. and he is a strong mofo

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
We'll see. I like El Guapo, but that' s just based on personality. I think it'll be an awesome fight. Badass v Christian Preacher, classic.

·
Outta My Head
1,220 Posts
This one is going to be... Interesting to say the least. I hope I'm not in the minority in saying that I would have liked to see this fight 5 years ago.

If I was going on credentials alone, I would give this fight to Bas. However, I have to take in account that he's been away from the fight game for 7 years. Most fighters deteriorate immensely with just a fraction of the lay off. However, Bas has been quoted to say that he's kept himself close to "fight shape" and knowing him, he probably has a boyscout's mentality to his training: ALWAYS PREPARED.

Regardless, Kimo has kept himself active over the past 7 years. Unlike the Gracie vs. Shamrock fight that happened about 2 months ago, this is not a great fighter coming in off of a lay-off to a debuting fighter. This is a great fighter coming back from a HUGE lay-off to challenge an experienced and active fighter. If Bas is able to train effectively to regain a majority of his legendary skills and still has the same non-stop attack that picks fighters apart, he should be able to take this fight. But with the inactivity and age (he's now 41), I would not be suprised to see Kimo walk out of this one with the W.

I'm pulling for Bas, but I won't be suprised if he loses. Hopefully I'll get to see this one live. They still have tickets available for the event, and I live 15 minutes away from it.

Oh, here are a few HL vids if you're not familiar with Bas. The first one is pretty straight-forward. The second one gives you a glimpse into his mad style and personality which makes him one of the most entertaining people in MMA ever.

Vid 1
Vid 2

·
canadian champ
1,522 Posts
This is insane. I can't see bas losing. His highlight video's are amazing. The man has beat everyone. He's beat frank shamrock, ken shamrock, maurice smith, randleman, mezger, deluca. He is just a machine. Kimo has lost to guys half his size (Ikuhisa Minowa 181lbs Kimo's 235). Kimo sucks

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
moldy said:
This is insane. I can't see bas losing. His highlight video's are amazing. The man has beat everyone. He's beat frank shamrock, ken shamrock, maurice smith, randleman, mezger, deluca. He is just a machine. Kimo has lost to guys half his size (Ikuhisa Minowa 181lbs Kimo's 235). Kimo sucks
Kimo doesn't suck, but he's certainly not Bas. Remember that Kimo gave Royce Gracie one of the longest fights of his carreer, which is a huge accomplishment.

Still, you're right. Bas is a beast and his strikes will overwhelm anyone.

Bas by KO/Ref Stoppage

·
Registered
63 Posts
what happened to the strong kempo fighter that went 2 rounds with gracie? he showed great potential and I would have liked to watched more of him.

·
Outta My Head
1,220 Posts
Actually, Bas has lost to Ken Shamrock twice. Granted it was early in his Pancrase career when he didn't develope his ground game. Once he got fully into it, he was tapping people as much as he was knocking them out.

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
Onganju said:
Actually, Bas has lost to Ken Shamrock twice. Granted it was early in his Pancrase career when he didn't develope his ground game. Once he got fully into it, he was tapping people as much as he was knocking them out.
And this is what I love about Bas, he's adapted and shown great submissions as well as the great strikes that made him famous in the first place. He understands that MMA is about Mixing martial arts and he realized that if he was going to stay in the game he was going to have to that.

Bas could probably beat alot of the heavyweights in UFC today. I think he probably hits harder than Sylvia or Arlovski, or at least he did in his prime. I can't wait for him to jump back in and see who he starts slugging.

·
Registered
63 Posts
if anyone knows who Im referring to in my question above please let me know any info you know about it. seeing irons mention of the kimo/gracie fight reminded me of the kempo fighter who also did well against gracie.

·
Outta My Head
1,220 Posts
The only person that comes to mind is Keith Hackney. He was the Kempo expert that fought Emmanuel Yarborough (the 400lb sumo wrestler) back in UFC 3. He ended up losing to Royce in UFC 4 by armlock. He was able to keep the fight standing for about 6 minutes before getting taken down and tapped.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Bas rutten is a monster.... i love his opened handed strikes... i think he will destroy kimo in the first round Kimo better pray that God is in his corner that night

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
fullpitch said:
thats him thanks ong. 2-2 is not an impressive record but I enjoyed watching him fight.
You're right that 2-2 isn't a great record, but if you look at his opponents it's understandable. Props to Keith Hackney, but I think that Kimo is still the better fighter of the 2 of them.

I was watching the Gracie/Kimo fight again and I realized that Kimo actually injured Royce during the fight (about 40 seconds in he kicks Royce hard in the leg) and he is limping a little bit afterwards. It didn't keep Royce from dominating the fight, but it shows that his strength and balance (due partially to a low center of gravity from his stance) make him a hard guy to grapple with.

Grappling doesn't matter in a fight with Bas, for the most part. So I would have to go with Bas by KO, round 1 or 2 (early).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts