Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
of Nazareth
10,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its like... If I was to paint the most beautiful picture in the world... a picture that moved me more than anything painted by my peers... could I still have respect for them? We might all have our opinions, but we are not Silva. We are not lightyears ahead of everybody else on the planet and so cant possibly begin to imagine why he does what he does.

I tire of so many fans picking on his bad bits when the good stuff is so much better, so much more powerful. Honestly, if Superman existed and he regularly saved lives... but was a bit of a twat... I bet most humans ( westerners particularly ) would all hate him.

What's bought this on? I just watch the Maia fight again. I cant believe how little criticism Maia got. Everybody was too busy pointing fingers at Silva having fun before getting bored.

The dude COMPLETELY humiliated Maia for 3 rounds using an a vast array of kicks, punches and footwork. As if he was switching styles every 30 seconds to keep himself interested before finally getting piss bored and shouting at Maia to pull his finger out! After the first 3 rounds which he clearly won, he then danced around making his point even clearer : Ive won the first 3 rounds. You need to come after me boy and do something. Maia did nothing. Nothing at all. Stood there as if it was him who had won the first 3.

Silva has been so far ahead of his last 5 opponents he must be starting to go a bit mad. He has cardio of lion. He must train really really hard... hard enough to face another Anderson Silva... and he gets something pathetic by comparison.

In a nutshell... Nobody can know what it must feel like to be Anderson Silva. You cant. To have all that pent up skill and aggression and having no challenging outlet for it.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
i agree with you mate...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
77 Posts
If he's light years ahead of his competition, (which I completeley agree with, especially in Maia's case) he should have had no problem knocking Maia out or at least getting a stoppage. The fans are pissed because he didn't finish the fight when we all know very well he could have. Think of all the hate GSP gets for his 5 round decision style and he goes 100% for 5 rounds. If he pulled up short after 3 rounds how much hate do you think he'd get then?

·
of Nazareth
10,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If he's light years ahead of his competition, (which I completeley agree with, especially in Maia's case) he should have had no problem knocking Maia out or at least getting a stoppage. The fans are pissed because he didn't finish the fight when we all know very well he could have. Think of all the hate GSP gets for his 5 round decision style and he goes 100% for 5 rounds. If he pulled up short after 3 rounds how much hate do you think he'd get then?
I see where you are going with the GSP comparison. I dont think it carries any weight. GSP has always said he likes to fight safe. If GSP had the first 3 rounds of a title fight in the bag, and if he knew he could stand there for rounds 4 and 5 and his opponent would barely attack him at all... GSP would do it as well. Why wouldn't he? Why on earth would he offer Maia a limb? If Maia came at him then sure, GSP would smash him up a bit... but he didnt.

My main point is, I consider Silva poncing around for 2 rounds not a great thing to do. Neither is shouting at Maia. ( ok maybe a little funny )... But I also consider some of the stuff Silva did in the first 3 rounds completely sublime. Like... amazing. These things to me carry far more gravity than the silly bits. Why get hung up over stoopidness when some of the actual MMA bits are so fantastic? We are MMA fans, right?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I cant believe how little criticism Maia got. Everybody was too busy pointing fingers at Silva having fun before getting bored.

The dude COMPLETELY humiliated Maia for 3 rounds using an a vast array of kicks, punches and footwork. As if he was switching styles every 30 seconds to keep himself interested before finally getting piss bored and shouting at Maia to pull his finger out! After the first 3 rounds which he clearly won, he then danced around making his point even clearer : Ive won the first 3 rounds. You need to come after me boy and do something. Maia did nothing. Nothing at all. Stood there as if it was him who had won the first 3.

Thats what have been saying right after the fight.

At the end of fifth round Maia went desperation mode after runnin away for 4 rounds. What should silva do? give it all up and risque for nothing.?

This fight will be forgotten but the record wil stay there.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Here's a good question, maybe one of you guys can help answer it for me.

Is Silva just that damn good? We all know Anthony Johnson cuts from 220 lbs to 170 lbs to make WW...if I had to choose a division that needed more talent I would say MW without hesitation, so why aren't the guys at LHW trying to cut down and become champion there? Why do guys like Johnson and Alves cut from 200 lbs+ to WW and not middleweight and fight there if the division is easier?

·
of Nazareth
10,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol... good point.

Maybe thats why there are so few quality MW's full stop. They either beef up to LHW or drop to WW. I dont blame them to be honest. The Franklin Destructions must have given many an MMA fighter nightmares.

·
Registered
118 Posts

Is Silva just that damn good? We all know Anthony Johnson cuts from 220 lbs to 170 lbs to make WW...if I had to choose a division that needed more talent I would say MW without hesitation, so why aren't the guys at LHW trying to cut down and become champion there? Why do guys like Johnson and Alves cut from 200 lbs+ to WW and not middleweight and fight there if the division is easier?
I've always wondered that too. There are a couple of guys in that division who walk around at 200+ and cut down past MW compete in WW.

·
Registered
963 Posts
i completely agree, i think anyone whos seen videos of anderson and his antics outside of the ring can tell hes a good, fun loving dude, not this cocky asshole that the media seems to be portraying him

i think its partially in fault to dana white, i mean a lot of casual fans will take anything dana says to heart, i mean look at gsp he gets critizism too but dana white praises him so he still is loved by most

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
If Dana didn't flip out and be an arrogant drunk douche - UFC 114-115 would be Anderson Silva VS GSP at 170.

Then he talks about how about he always makes the best match-ups happen - get the F out of here.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts

Alvez is short and has tiny arms he is a beefed up WW not a MW cutting to WW. People drop down to MW only if they know they can't cut it at the top of LHW because the money is at LHW where you have a bunch of guys who draw 500k buys plus every time out. Bisping moved down, Wandy moved down, Vitor moved down, and Irvin moved down after Andy moved up and murdered him.

MW has kind of always been an inbewteen division. For some reason WW is filled with great wrestlers and there are hardly any at MW and LHW is filled with great strikers and there are hardly any at MW. It has become the division for a bunch of guys who are either really good at one thing(Maia, Chael), guys who are fairly good at everything(Akiyama, Bisping, Belcher) and Anderson Silva who would be an elite LHW but is a weight cutting god.

·
To the death George
2,306 Posts
I agree completely soojooko, for 3 rounds Anderson was simply just amazing, so good he was imitating other fighters while kicking the shit out of a top 5 contender, who has ever done that?

I think his problem is that he is so good everyone just expects him to do something freakishly awesome stuff all of the time, and when he doesnt and actually fights on a human level everyone gets very dissapointed. Its actually like going to watch some ninja movie and when theres no awesome ninja battle going on everyone gets bored. He is that good he is now a Freak show.

·
Registered
169 Posts
if silva dropped all the way down to 170 he would have another advantage in his reach, and i'm sure his bjj could handle anyone's wrestling. With that being said i have him over gsp any day and any other ww for that matter, but Anderson is my favorite fighter ever, haha. I would like to see him fight Thiago Alves though, who i like a lot also, that would be a brutal fight i think. I'd still like to see him against Wand or Vitor, but some how he gets sonnen. I agree with the OP btw, seeing as how the subject kind of changed.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Most dominating fighter in MMA history.. Defended the MW belt for like 4-5 years. Only guy that can move or down a weight class and still be the likely favorite against the champion.

He has like what 5 fights left in his career...and he's fighting Chael Sonnen instead of GSP or LHW contenders/champions at the final years of his prime.

Just a shame and a waste.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Dana is just trying to kill time until Anderson loses a step so when he actually does a "superfight" he can pit him against whoever his new "golden boy" is: a guy who he bills as the new P4P #1, the best in his division, and in his physical prime.

He's trying to put all the chips against Anderson, to let him go out the Chuck Liddell way and say he should retire because he's too old.

This way people won't keep talking about "what if this guy had to face Anderson in his prime!" and instead tarnish his legacy by embarrassing an over-the-hill Anderson with a prime champ.

Make no mistake, Dana is about promoting his fighters as the best. When he gives "the fight fans want", he will do so in a fashion that's win-win for himself. He's not going let Anderson walk out with a fairy tale retirement. He's going to use it to expand the future of his franchise.

Don't confuse yourself to actually believing Dana is a fight fan before a promoter. There is no way doing a super-fight makes any financial sense for him when both guys are in their prime. Look at Aoki. He got owned by Melendez and is now going on to a title defense. His mystique is gone. Dana is NEVER, NEVER going to do a GSP vs Silva match until Silva is a geriatric.

·
"I
6,923 Posts
I agree with what you're saying to an extent. Silva is hundreds of times the martial artist than anyone in his class. He's almost God Like at what he does. That being said, it does not give him the right to be an arrogant douche nozzle. One of the biggest themes in all of martial arts is respect, when he acts classless like that and has no respect for his opponent, he ceases to be a martial artist in my opinion. As someone else said, GSP may go to 5 round decisions but he's going as hard as he can for 5 rounds. Anderson used an entire 2% of his talent in that fight and could've finished it at any moment, but instead he danced around like an arrogant asshat. That's a massive amount of disrespect to his opponent, his fans and especially the sport of MMA and it's bullshit that people think he should get a free ride. At least Maia was TRYING to bring the fight to him. I mean, if you were in there would you just let loose with punches? That seems like a sure fire way to get knocked the **** out to me. Not to mention it's not a very good game plan. Same thing as Rashad/Rampage. Rashad knew he was at a disadvantage standing so he didn't do anything to expose himself to that. Maia was in the same situation but FAR worse. Fighting a good game plan and not getting knocked the **** out is not being arrogant. Dancing around for 2 and a half rounds trying to humiliate your opponent into submission when you know you could've finished the fight in under two minutes is.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Silva just needs to move up to LH, there are so many great matchups at that weight class: Rashad, Shogun, Rampage, Bones Jones, Bader. I still want the fight everyone wanted after he KO'd Rashad, Machida and Silva would be sick.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Silva just needs to move up to LH, there are so many great matchups at that weight class: Rashad, Shogun, Rampage, Bones Jones, Bader. I still want the fight everyone wanted after he KO'd Rashad, Machida and Silva would be sick.
completely agree .Silva should permanently fight as LHW. I want to see him against Rampage , Shogun , Rashad , etc. I wanna see that. Enough placing sheep in front of him. That said however , i don't think Silva will ever fight Machida because of their friendship. I don't agree that a superfight makes no financial sense , because there is always the possibility to extend it to a trilogy , which means more cash.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts