• It´s illegal but i hope they make a rule to turn it legal

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
The Bearded One
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Always wondered why guys weren´t doing that to opponents,
watch the position Cote was at the time...

I´ve seen it in dozens of times (perhaps hundreds) in MMA fights, and always wondered why the heck guys weren´t picking guys up and faceplanting then on the floor,
i eventually assumed it was illegal.

Glad belcher proved me wrong!

The Ultimate Facepalm :D

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
If Cote hadn't looked up at the last second it would have been illegal. But cause he looked up and then the floor hit his face not the top of his head it is deemed legal. bit of a risky move.
It still probably wouldn't have been a spike because of the way Belcher flattened him out somewhat before slamming him. I think if he tucked his head probably the top of his forehead would hit but you need to be dropped on the top of your head to have it ruled a spike and that would be borderline at best.

People don't go for it that often because of the fact that if you **** it up you are going to either get a point taken or DQed for spiking.

·
The Bearded One
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It wouldn´t be a wrestling piledriver so im not sure it would be a foul.

·
Registered
77 Posts
It wouldn't have been illegal even if Cote looked down. It's was close but it wasn't a spike.

The reason people don't get away with this is most fighters have a good wrestling background and would never let this happen. Cote had ring rust and under estimated Belcher's strength.

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
You can't spike and it's too risky, plus have you ever tried doing that to someone? It's not that easy haha.

·
The Bearded One
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Someone that weighed the same as you and was trying to defend it? Or did you just do it to your little brother because he was bothering you?
Actually it´s easy to do it even on bigger guys, because you have that intantaneous power and if you don´t telegraf the move he wont be defending it so you get him up in less that a second!

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
Actually it´s easy to do it even on bigger guys, because you have that intantaneous power and if you don´t telegraf the move he wont be defending it so you get him up in less that a second!
That's impressive

·
Banned
689 Posts
that wasn't too bad by belcher but they really need to start coming down on spiking

·
Banned
689 Posts

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
that wasn't too bad by belcher but they really need to start coming down on spiking

That isn't spiking, in order for you to be spiking you have to have control over the other fighters body. If the guy can let go and give up position and chooses not to, then gets spiked it's not a foul.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I think it has everything to do with the effort involved in "powerbombing" an opponent. When a guy is being pushed into the fence, the fence is bending therefore causing the angle to be weird. Harder to lift a guy when you're already bent over because of the fence. Plus, there's a lot of effort involved with lifting a guy who's not only sweaty and defending it, but also the knowledge that you might have 15 minutes of fighting left. Plus, there's the knowledge that if you get him up and he ends up grabbing your leg to stop it, you just burned a ton of energy for absolutely nothing.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.