Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
Akiyama was a fairly high ranked fighter that he had a somewhat controversial fight with, Kang was considered a top MW and Cote even after a long lay off is a serious test for anybody. Like Belcher or not his record lately is damn impressive.

Reactions: Rygu

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Akiyama was a fairly high ranked fighter that he had a somewhat controversial fight with, Kang was considered a top MW and Cote even after a long lay off is a serious test for anybody. Like Belcher or not his record lately is damn impressive.

The guy thinks he's some superstar when he's not. He's not as good and he's not as popular as he thinks he is.

He just beat Gouveia and Cote, finished them. That's great, he's a good fighter who's looked good in his last two fights. But he's talking like he should have got Anderson, Belfort, Wand or someone a long time ago. But what needs to be said is he got smashed by Jason Day and beat by Akiyama (bigish name) in the last 2 years. Where do big fights fit after those loses? They don't, you got to work back up and he is... and he just faced Cote, a very recognisable name who fought Anderson.

Why is he bitching? Don't lose and you'll get big names.

After losing to Akiyama he gets Gouveia. Then he gets Cote. He's hardly getting fed cans is he?

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I think that he's in a funny situation where he's won against some top tier guys at MW, and yet, has still failed to impress in a way that separates him from the pack. Despite winning, other than his terrible tattoo I find his fights to be forgettable.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
I think that he's in a funny situation where he's won against some top tier guys at MW, and yet, has still failed to impress in a way that separates him from the pack. Despite winning, other than his terrible tattoo I find his fights to be forgettable.
I've found it to be the exact opposite. He's got 2 SotN victories and his loss to Akiyama was split decision that I personally thought he won and it scored them a FotN bonus. His fight with Gouveia netted him a FotN bonus as well.

Thats 4 "of the Night"s in his last 4 fights. He must be doing something right.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I've found it to be the exact opposite. He's got 2 SotN victories and his loss to Akiyama was split decision that I personally thought he won and it scored them a FotN bonus. His fight with Gouveia netted him a FotN bonus as well.

Thats 4 "of the Night"s in his last 4 fights. He must be doing something right.
Fair enough. Some people like the guy. I just don't find his fights to be all that exciting. For instance, you mentioned his 4 night bonuses. True, and if I sat down and thought about I could have made the list, but the fact of the matter is for me, none of those fights come to mind.

I just don't find him all that exciting. *shrug* I think that if I were in the boat alone, Belcher would be getting more press. I have a feeling more people are on my side than not (at least for now).

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
The guy thinks he's some superstar when he's not. He's not as good and he's not as popular as he thinks he is.

He just beat Gouveia and Cote, finished them. That's great, he's a good fighter who's looked good in his last two fights. But he's talking like he should have got Anderson, Belfort, Wand or someone a long time ago. But what needs to be said is he got smashed by Jason Day and beat by Akiyama (bigish name) in the last 2 years. Where do big fights fit after those loses? They don't, you got to work back up and he is... and he just faced Cote, a very recognisable name who fought Anderson.

Why is he bitching? Don't lose and you'll get big names.

After losing to Akiyama he gets Gouveia. Then he gets Cote. He's hardly getting fed cans is he?
I'll just copy and paste Hiro's response cuz that's what my thoughts are...lolz! Alan Belcher is a "super star" sadly in his own mind.

Here's the list of matchups I'd like to see. He beats any of the two then he's a contender.

1.) Bisping
2.) Chael
3.) Demian
4.) Wand
5.) Vitor

·
Registered
535 Posts
He does have some solid wins over Santiago, Kang, Gouveia, Cote but even though that Akiyama was close, I thought he lost. That Ed Herman fight was real real close and could have gone either way (it was a split dec). or maybe it's because alot of his wins seem like they come off from fluke finishes. Like that Kang fight, he was losing until Kang put himself into that submission. In the Gouevia fight he was getting tagged and swining for the fences until something landed..

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Fair enough. Some people like the guy. I just don't find his fights to be all that exciting. For instance, you mentioned his 4 night bonuses. True, and if I sat down and thought about I could have made the list, but the fact of the matter is for me, none of those fights come to mind.

I just don't find him all that exciting. *shrug* I think that if I were in the boat alone, Belcher would be getting more press. I have a feeling more people are on my side than not (at least for now).
They probably stand out more to me because I've been following Belcher since UFC 71. So when his fights come up, I'm always paying attention.

Anyway, I laughed when Belcher called out Silva after his last fight, but I am ready for him to be "in the mix" as Dana likes to say.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I like Belcher a lot and im a fan of his. While he may be somewhat delusional in his self-perception as a superstar or top contender, he really isnt that far off from a title shot and is a pretty good fighter in the MW division. I like the article's idea of letting him fight Vitor Belfort to see who gets the next title shot after Sonnen. Belcher is down, it would be a great fight, and it would satisfy his desire for a shot at the title as well as seeing if Vitor is still in good shape to deserve a title shot.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I think another problem for Belcher is that ridiculous divide between the champ and everyone else. If Franklin were still champ, I'd be interested in seeing Belcher fight. But Belcher vs. Silva? C'mon. Silva is just so far ahead of the guys in his division that matchups are hard to justify for him.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Akiyama landed more strikes in the first 2 rounds. Belcher's rout in the 3rd round gives people the impression that Belcher's loss was controversial.

Some people might say Belcher's punches hit harder but let's be serious here, neither fighter was ever at risk of getting knocked out, it was just a boxing match and both of them hit about as hard as wearing 12oz gloves. Akiyama's face was busted up, which kind of reminds me of high school fights--the guy who bloodies you up by breaking your nose gets the nod even if he only landed that 1 punch and got hit 100 times.

Belcher's stance is pretty stiff too, it reminds me of Paul Daley's. Anderson Silva would just do the Roy Jones Jr. dance and pepper you till your face is purple and bleeding.

·
Registered
305 Posts
He beat an incredibly rusty Patrick Cote and he thinks he can take Anderson Silva??? I wonder if he has ever seen Silva fight.....Seriously, I understand you have to talk some to get noticed but Belcher wouldn't last a round if he actually fought Silva. Throw him in there against Bisping or Wandy or better yet Vitor and see how he does. If he wins he still doesn't have a chance against Anderson but atleast he can would have something to talk about.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Inconsistency is the key here. The loss to Akiyama was a bit controversial, but it was close enough to not be a robbery. He has losses to Grove, Day, and Okami. The guy cant seem to keep a good winning streak going. He beat a guy that has been out of the game for quite awhile and a dude that got cut after there fight. I dont really see how that should earn him any kind of special attention at this point. His win over Kang isnt particularly impressive either, Kang proved that he is barely above a can when he came to the UFC. He lost to the only top five middleweight he has faced, forgive me if I dont get the hype train.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
or maybe it's because alot of his wins seem like they come off from fluke finishes. Like that Kang fight, he was losing until Kang put himself into that submission. In the Gouevia fight he was getting tagged and swining for the fences until something landed..
This. Kang was handing him his ass until he jammed his head in a guillotine that was obviously there. He has lost to some really mediocre guys and never seriously strung wins together. He should get a decent name after beating Cote and if he wins that fight, we'll talk. Until then he is just another decent fighter in the MW division.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Even in his last fight, he near on spiked Cote and then when Cote looked up to the ref as if to say 'wtf?', Belcher grabbed his neck. I honestly think he got a bit lucky.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
Akiyama was tooling him until one of his eyes closed then he fought him even. People who think that fight was even close are delusional. I disproved any ones ability to score that fight for Belcher without altering the judging criteria round by round when the crying was happening. One stupid judge giving Belcher the fight doesn't mean he should win. It means that judge shouldn't be allowed to score MMA fights because he sucks and has an illogical and inconsistent system.

Andy or Vitor would murder him. Belcher wouldn't even be a top 20 guy if he didn't have a huge size and reach advantage over almost everyone in the division.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts