Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not the fighters, but how loses effect ones career and something boxing can learn from it..

Hopkins elaborated, "Boxing has to be more like mma in one sense. In mma they don't make a big deal about a loss. They come right back and are at it again. That's how it used to be in boxing. Look at Sugar Ray Robinson. He lost. But Roy was always terrified of losing that zero and, for that reason, he didn't develop the way he would have if he had been tested."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/gordon-marino/bernard-hopkins-reflectio_b_524002.html

This is one of the reasons, IMO, that MMA is superior to boxing. We get the fights we want and, though I never though of it until his comment, its helps fighters develop. Perhaps Fedor will experience what happened to Roy Jones Jr.

·
The Mad Titan
5,111 Posts
cool im glad he is starting to take notice of mma instead of judging it from a biased point of view, there is a interview on espn aswell where he said he understands that there is skill, stratergy and a great work ethic involved he just doesn't like it being compared to boxing because they are two different sports. no doubt oscar had something to do with hopkins new take on mma and maybe some family members or close friends have taken a liking to mma aswell

it's all good to hear too because hopkins is my fav. boxer:thumb02:

·
Registered
315 Posts
yeah, the comparison's between the two sports is always a drag. There are no "world-class strikers" in MMA as I don't think anyone i schampionship caliber were it a boxing ring.

Likewise, boxers who couldn't KO their opponent would get jacked on the ground...

·
-DIBKIS-
21,135 Posts
Just gonna respond to what he said about RJJ. He was tested, he just made every person he fought look terrible. He beat Hopkins when he was in his prime too and took his belt. Hopkins just waited 17 years for a rematch when he knew Roy was past his prime.

It is good to hear a boxer have good things to say about MMA though! :thumb02:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts