Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
I don't really see a "best" combination of styles to study, it really depends on what you want to do with your MMA. In my case, if I had to only pick 2 styles it would be BJJ and Judo, just because they feed off of each other so well.

My top 3 that are best used together are: BJJ, Judo and Shorinji Kempo.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good picks also, but just to let u kno, in my opinion, and in most mma fights, kenpo is not a good weapon in mma...

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
acenumber2 said:
good picks also, but just to let u kno, in my opinion, and in most mma fights, kenpo is not a good weapon in mma...
Watch Chuck Liddell, he's proof that it works. His striking is almost exclusively Kempo, packed with a few of his own freestyle innovations. My freinds and I have also proved that the only way that a 5'7" guy can KO a 6'4" guy is with Shorinji Kempo. It doesn't get the most recognition, but it's the second best striking system used in MMA (muay thai is obviously the best) and since it combines striking and grappling it's my striking system of choice.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I think it was said before it really matters on the fighter and how he emplys what he learns, my self for instance I have studied so many styles over the years I can not seperate them, they are truly mixed I do what works in the given situation. Picking one or two styles that one combined are superior to others is really an exercise in futility.

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
I think Don is probably right, but I still think its a good attempt for beginners to understand. It's really important to study a striking style and a grappling style.

·
1 2 3 Blast Off!
2,972 Posts
i fi had to pick two it would be bjj and muay thai.
bjj for ground and mouy thai for all striking aspects but thirdly wrestling for takedowns

·
Registered
82 Posts
I completely agree w/ double leg takedown
Muay thai for great all around stand-up
Bjj for the ground
IronMan, having
proved that the only way that a 5'7" guy can KO a 6'4" guy is with Shorinji Kempo
is a pretty bold claim, but I must admit i don't know a thing about the style, where can i find good info?

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
Yeti said:
I completely agree w/ double leg takedown
Muay thai for great all around stand-up
Bjj for the ground
IronMan, having
is a pretty bold claim, but I must admit i don't know a thing about the style, where can i find good info?
I'm 5'7" and one of the guys on the football team, the only one to pick a fight with me, is 6'4". Just standard Shorinji Kempo hiptwist overhand shot a-la Chuck. It may be a little bold to say that it's the "only way" but it is certainly one of the most efficient.

Plus the fact that the system integrates the ground game makes it so much more valuable than as just a striking system.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Has anybody in any fighting organization ever won a fight using kenpo? In the mid 90's with a couple years of muay thai and submission wrestling, I fought a 2nd degree "kenpo blackbelt" even though it was a sparring match he got confused by leg kicks and clinch, I took him down easy and submitted him at will. He had good stamina but really had no idea how to fight any person except another kenpo practitioner. He was totally humiliated and started training with us after that(without his gi and blackbelt on). I think chuck figured this out long time ago, this is why he uses kick boxing and wrestling.He must have got that kenpo tatoo early on before he realized it was bullshit. Thank god I didnt put a taekwondo tatoo on me, when I thought it was a deadly art back in the day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts