Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. First time poster, long time reader here. I've just been following MMA for 11 months.

This summer I've been catching up on previous UFC's when I havn't had anything to do. Starting from UFC 1, and worked myself up to UFC 34. This got me thinking, espesially after watching Pedro Rizzo (for all I know, he might get the belt later, so please don't spoil this for me :) ), who is the best fighter you have seen in the UFC never to hold a belt, who isn't active at present date?

Ps: Just saw Carlos Newton lose his belt against Matt Hughes. haha, what a finish! :)

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Jon Fitch without a doubt. If GSP wasn't around he would have been a dominant champ in the WW division for the last 2 or 3 years.

Also i'm gonna say Nate Marquardt at MW and Diego Sanchez at LW.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Jon Fitch without a doubt. If GSP wasn't around he would have been a dominant champ in the WW division for the last 2 or 3 years.

Also i'm gonna say Nate Marquardt at MW and Diego Sanchez at LW.
read my mind dude, definitely Jon Fitch. Some people call him boring, i disagree.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But all those guys are still active, and can still win a belt. My main though behind this thread was to get names of people not active anymore that never won a UFC belt.

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Kenny Florian and Jon Fitch are the main ones in the UFC right now. Florian's ripping through the division right now, but didn't look like worrying BJ at all. Without BJ in the division he'd be champion I think; same with Fitch.

As for guys that are no longer active, Lee Murray springs to mind. He was incredibly talented, but his career was ended due to a stabbing. Was a shame really, because he was seriously talented. Can't really think of anyone else tbh.

Actually, I guess Matt Lindland should have been given a title shot in the UFC at one point in time, before Franklin got the belt. Career wins over Fulton, Miletich, Baroni, Almeida, Salverry, Fryklund, Lutter, Doerkson, Van Arsdale, Horn and Newton. Really did pick up some serious wins when he was in the UFC.

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Shogun until a few months ago. :)

I can't really think of any retired fighters, but I'd at least mention Jeff Monson and Babalu out of the fighters who are not with the UFC anymore. Then we have Fedor of course, but he was never with the UFC so I don't think it counts. Nick Diaz is another great fighter who hasn't won a UFC title.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
Sort of a tricky question as no one has ever really left the UFC on top other than BJ Penn, and even then he did it after winning the WW belt.

There are arguments to be made for several fighters, Din Thomas, Nick Diaz (at WW), Jeremy Horn, Dan Henderson, are a few that come to mind. I honestly feel though that no fighter who deserved to wear the title never got their shot, and won, the title. Those who did lose their first attempt were good enough to get it the second time around.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Personnally, i count Pride titles, and Tourney wins even, as championships, so i wouldnt count hendo, or shogun.

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
First of all welcome to the fourm, and welcome to the world of MMA. It's the greatest sport in the world and your taste in forums refelects your taste in entertainment.

As for you question. I immediately thought of Nate Quarry. I know he has some losses but the guy has some serious talent and is amazingly tough. Rich dismantled him, but I think he could have been a force without all the back problems and maybe six years in age.
*I think he is still fighting, but he won't be for much longer anyhow, and he's not getting anywhere near that belt before he does retire.

·
Premium Member
1,475 Posts
Hi there. First time poster, long time reader here. I've just been following MMA for 11 months.

This summer I've been catching up on previous UFC's when I havn't had anything to do. Starting from UFC 1, and worked myself up to UFC 34. This got me thinking, espesially after watching Pedro Rizzo (for all I know, he might get the belt later, so please don't spoil this for me :) ), who is the best fighter you have seen in the UFC never to hold a belt, who isn't active at present date?

Ps: Just saw Carlos Newton lose his belt against Matt Hughes. haha, what a finish! :)

But if i tell you who i think it will probably ruin many of the Main Events on cards you have yet to see.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Florian without a doubt. I think he had already lost his second fight to BJ before they even fought. The first fight wasn't apples to apples.

Fitch is also on my list at #2... with Koscheck (even though I can't stand him!!) tied for #2 with Fitch.

in 4th position on my list is Chris Lytle. Even though his record might be that impressive, if you look at his losses in the later years of his carreer, he's only lost to top competetion, like Hughes, Parysian, Alves, Koscheck, and Marcus Davis. Honestly... I'd love to see Lytle fight Fitch. I thinhis BJJ has progressed to the point where he could do some damage and possible sub Fitch. ..... yeah, maybe not.. but he's a really good fighter who's just not been in the right place at the right time I think.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts