Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Golden opportunity for fake news MMA journalists like John S. Nash of sherdog to release "studies" claiming boxers are "on average" better paid than UFC fighters.

Fake news:

·
The Title Guy
17,549 Posts
The big name boxers make a lot of money but you need to get to the top first in order to make those tens of millions or hundreds of millions of dollars first. Do the top MMA fighters make anywhere near the money that the top boxers make? Absolutely not but thanks to the UFC there is a middle class of fighters that make above average money.

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the real story in comparing boxing versus MMA salaries is boxers with more than 20 fights who have been pros for 5-10+ years.

Are paid as much as UFC fighters who have been pros for 2-5 years who have less than 10 fights.

Kimbo Slice tried the boxing route. I don't think they were open to giving him a big payday unless he built his record up more. But I could be wrong on that.

AFAIK the Conors, Khabibs, Rondas, Jon Jones, GSPs make as much as top boxers.

Conor is ranked #16 on forbes highest paid athletes of 2020 list:

·
The Title Guy
17,549 Posts
Well Conor because of his popularity is also able to get sponsorships that the average UFC fighter can't get due to the exclusivity of the Reebok deal. Maybe things will change with the end of the Reebok deal and the beginning of the Venom deal depending on whether the Venom deal will allow other sponsors like PFL does.

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Some fighters have 10,000 followers on instagram.

And expect to be paid the same as Conor who has 40 million followers.

It doesn't help how many managers in MMA don't understand basics of how payscaling and the draw system works.

·
The Title Guy
17,549 Posts
Yeah they think that a small number of instagram followers makes their fighters somebody. Conor is an example of the numbers one needs in order to be somebody and make that kind of money.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts