Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sonnen has gotten a lot of credit/hype recently due to his smack talking ability. But the question is, who did the best pre-fight smack talk?

I'd like to throw in Mir prior to Mir vs Lesnar II. He stated he was going to literally kill Lesnar and make him the first death in the UFC. It was so epic he had to apologize on TV for a radio interview.

And as a dark horse I would throw in Henderson prior to the Bisping fight. The only smack talk he really said was, "I just keep a running tab in my head, but in the fight I am going to take it out on his ass". I will concede that it may only be as epic as it is because of the KO, but damn it stuck with me.

Tito Ortiz and Frank Shamrock had some quality pre-fight smack talk as well.

So thinking about the UFC history, is Sonnen's current smack talk the best or is there someone you think would rank higher?

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Dan Hardy to Marcus Davis. That was epic smack talking from Dan. He was far and away the funniest smack talker in my eyes until Chael Sonnen started piping up in the build up to the Marquardt fight. Since then, he's been on a roll and said some hilarious stuff. Chael's the king right now, but Dan Hardy's a close 2nd.

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
"Yaw a bitch"
"Treat me like a bitch"
"Yaw a bitch"
"Treat me like a bitch"

Wasn't the most inventive of smack talking at times, but was still very funny. Rampage is a very funny guy. His impression of Rashad being KO'd by Machida was brilliant.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Chael Sonnen.

LOL G-Land at the Tito comment. This has to be the most bizarre strategy. Pepper the deaf guy with soft punches since they have no equilibrium....

Reactions: G_Land

·
Registered
73 Posts
My vote goes to Tito cuause of the stuff that comes out of his mouth.

I would have given it to sonnen but some of the stuff he says kinda makes sense.....tito on the other hand comes up with the most off the wall comments ever.

Tito's recent comments as well as him laughing at Shamrock at a press confrence solidify my position....not to mention Tito's shirts.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I mentioned this thread to a friend of mine and he said back in the day he thinks Carlos Newton said some funny stuff prior to fighting Hughes, but I can't find anything only. Anyone remember any of that smack talk and if it was anything good?

I also forgot to mention BJ Penn, how I don't know. Even though he has recently gotten better about it he has said some pretty nasty stuff. Against Pulver II he said he was going to break Pulvers arm off and take it him with him (to make it better he did it on live TV with Pulver sitting on the other side of Rogan). The rants he went on about Sean Sherk and GSP being on steriods were pretty epic. Plus the comments he made about Hughes prior to their rematch were pretty good.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Ken shamrock hands down

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Nobody comes close to Sonnen, because Chael is, unlike many of his colleagues, an eloquent man. He knows how to express himself and how to aim at the vital points of his opponents ego. Plus he is entertaining as well.
Plus, he is underestimating a lot of fighters, which makes him a douche. I wanna see him fight Machida and Lyoto will demonstrate how a karate guy can be a LHW champ.

·
Curitiba Food and Liquor
16,175 Posts
Ken Shamrock against Ortiz ftw. Beat you into a living death!
That is what got Ken his spot in my top 5 smack talkers in MMA. Don't forget the chair punt. It doesn't technically qualify as smack talk, but I want to give that grand gesture the recognition it deserves.

BJ, before getting brutalized by GSP.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts