Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Don't know as much about this kind of things as most but what Pankrato says

"eating light meals for a day and drinking 1 gallon or more of water...
...good shakes, you know, blender type meals.
And of course, lots of fruits and vegetables, that's all ya need."

This sounds like common sense to me.

Probably Weapon is right in that alot of "detox" diets are fads and some are harmful but the above suggestions couldn't hurt.

I'd also like to add some points here.

Young and relatively active people probably dont need radical detox diets and some of them are probably just straight out bad for you.

however

keep in mind that its not unheard of for a person in their 40-50's with an unhealthy lifestyle to have lots of impacted fecal matter in the intestinal track - like upwards of a pound in some cases. (a relative of mine has a serious bowel condition resulting from impacted fecal matter so I know this stuff is for real)

Also toxic levels of poisons can build up in the body over a long period of time. Take mercury poisoning from fish for example. Where I live (ottawa, canada) the fisheries guide actually specifies a maximum ammount of fish that can be safely eaten from the local river over a period of one month. That would imply that it may take considerable time for the body to filter out those toxins. Of course, wether these special detox diets can accelerate that process is another matter.

This is actually a really interesting topic here, if anyone knows about this stuff please post more.

· Registered
1,223 Posts
Your case of a middle-aged or older person with a poor lifestyle/eating habit would be the best person for the detox I mentioned earlier. I agree that the natural flushing with fresh fruits and veggies w/ tons of water is a great way to go. However, I used to be kind of a connoisseur of certain supplements and now I've moved on to colon cleansers. I quit taking supplements for the most part because I grew up and decided not to put that crap in my body anymore. I have tried different colon cleansers/detoxifiers, and only one of them showed ANY real results. The others mostly had a laxative effect, and didn't do anything for me. They cost about 40-60 bucks for the ones I tried. The one that worked for me was only about 20 bucks for the warm-up phase, and 20 bucks for the actual 5-day cleanser. You don't even have to get the warm-up one if you're already regular. Anyway, the 5-day cleanser was crazy. It worked awesome, and I can't say enough good about it. It's the only reason why I believe in cleansing. If I hadn't taken this one program, I would be saying that these are scams, wastes of money, and probably unhealthy. Now I plan to take this cleanser twice a year just to maintain. I don't like to plug supplements, but if anyone is wondering what program I'm talking about, just ask.

· Registered
11 Posts
Your case of a middle-aged or older person with a poor lifestyle/eating habit would be the best person for the detox I mentioned earlier. I agree that the natural flushing with fresh fruits and veggies w/ tons of water is a great way to go. However, I used to be kind of a connoisseur of certain supplements and now I've moved on to colon cleansers. I quit taking supplements for the most part because I grew up and decided not to put that crap in my body anymore. I have tried different colon cleansers/detoxifiers, and only one of them showed ANY real results. The others mostly had a laxative effect, and didn't do anything for me. They cost about 40-60 bucks for the ones I tried. The one that worked for me was only about 20 bucks for the warm-up phase, and 20 bucks for the actual 5-day cleanser. You don't even have to get the warm-up one if you're already regular. Anyway, the 5-day cleanser was crazy. It worked awesome, and I can't say enough good about it. It's the only reason why I believe in cleansing. If I hadn't taken this one program, I would be saying that these are scams, wastes of money, and probably unhealthy. Now I plan to take this cleanser twice a year just to maintain. I don't like to plug supplements, but if anyone is wondering what program I'm talking about, just ask.
I'm interested in knowing what you tried. I was planning on getting the pure powder psyllium seed husk because I heard the same thing from other people that the otc colon cleansing pills feel more like a laxative than cleansing.

· Registered
1,223 Posts
Damn right buddy. I'll never go back to the otc stuff. They had the "good" ones locked up in a case, and they were about $50 bucks or more. I thought, hey, I better go with the good stuff, but it was a total waste of money, not to mention the unpleasant laxative effects. It's not even like a normal laxative. It's a week long deal! The idea behind this product is that the ingredients absorb everything that needs to be cleansed from the GI lining. It doesn't just try to flush it out. PLUS you get to freak people out with the black, grainy mix. It doesn't taste bad if you mix it with 100% juice. They just came out with capsules though, so that might be the way to go.

· Premium Member
7,699 Posts
There are things you can eat like chlorella.

Which are claimed to bind to heavy metals and toxins, to help the body remove them.

But to be honest that's definitely I need to read up on and research more.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts