Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

best way to clear out my body?

3K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  Trix 
#1 ·
i want to start i new diet but first i want to clear out whats in my body now, whats the best way to do that?

#4 ·
I've found that eating light meals for a day and drinking 1 gallon or more of water makes my bod feel completely revamped and cleaned out.

By light meals I mean meals the size of your hand or smaller - or, what I do is I don't eat solids, just good shakes, you know, blender type meals.

And of course, lots of fruits and vegetables, that's all ya need.

Also, maybe take more than a day for this cleansing period. Try 1-3 days. Like a weekend to detox.

Good luck!

#8 ·
Chicken breast, eggs, fruit, veggies, water. Just to name a few of the foods I eat on a regular basis. Along with an exercise program these foods will boost your metabolism and your body will only become healthier and healthier as it gets rid of the b.s.

RUN

#9 ·
"detox" programs are entirely bunk
there is nothing in your body that shouldnt be there in 99% of most people. if your body is retaining waste then you need to see a DOCTOR. much of what you hear about needing to detox is really just people taking advanage of your ignorance.

some of the products mentioned, like strip, use a massive amount of B vitamins and creatine which make you urinate frequently and by doing so are very very taxing on your liver and kidneys. you also lose a lot of electrolytes by urinating so frequently.

don't believe me? HealthWatch newsletter, a scholarly publication had this to say:

Dr Bender, a senior lecturer in biochemistry at University College London and a HealthWatch Committee member, was quoted saying that there is in fact no scientific evidence to support detox diet claims, and dismissed them as an unhealthy but persistent fad. "There is some mysticism behind the idea that stems from the fact that a lot of Eastern religions advocate fasting for cleansing the body," he said.

"But there are no health benefits from following these diets. The body is perfectly adept at ridding itself of unwanted toxins in food. On average we each consume a lethal amount of caffeine every day, but it doesn't kill us because, like all harmful dietary substances, it is broken down in the liver and excreted. No diet fad is capable of influencing a fundamental physiological process."

the last sentence is also applicable to cabby's post (not meaning to call you out bud, sorry). none of those foods will affect your metabolism. water will help you burn calories, but it will do nothing for your metabolism. caffeine has been shown to interact with your thyroid to slightly increase your metabolism for as long as it remains in your system, but it also decreases appetite, increases blood pressure and heart rate.

detox diets can also comprimise your immune system by robbing your body of the amounts of amino acids your body needs to help produce anti-bodies.

still doubt it?

a lexis nexis search turned up 7 pages of medical journal results with 25 results being displayed per page when I searched "detox myths". after looking at all of the titles of all of the articles it was conclusive that all of these articles concluded that the detox programs are more or less marketing schemes and old wive's tales.

#10 · (Edited)
Weapon, I appreciate you providing sources and real science to support your argument. However, I have tried a few different colon cleansers, and only one of them showed any real results. I don't like to plug brand names and such, so if anyone wants to know the brand, PM me. Anyway, I take this cleanser once or twice a year. During the five-day program, you follow a pretty strict diet. You don't take in a lot, so you'd think that if it was a myth, your "movements" would slow down. Not with this stuff. You're not on the pot every 20 minutes, and it doesn't act like a laxative. Other products I've used were more like a laxative effect, no real bulk. I'd have to refer to the old saying, "the proof is in the pudding." And gaddamn, there's a lot of pudding. Or loaves. I hope you're eating a baby ruth at the moment. Anyway, on this program, you should be having a good sit-down about thirty minutes after each small meal. This is very consistent with me when I'm following the program. Every time, there's significant expulsion. There's definitely more coming out than I'd be taking in, which makes me think that there really are pockets in your intestines where shit really gets packed in. Yes, it's normal for a human body to do this, and in most cases, it's not harmful. However, I feel like if I have five pounds of crap in my gut that is stuck in these pockets, I want it out. It's dead weight, and if you're a fighter, or you're struggling to make weight, this could help you especially if you've never done it before.

As far as the health benefits described by the makers of the stuff, I'm more than skeptical. There are claims that this stuff has relieved so much pressure on internal organs that it helped them get fully functional again. The claimed benefits go from relief of back pain to curing cancer. The back pain I can see hypothetically, but cancer? I believe you are right that much of this is mythical, but I've personally seen some desired results from this specific product. Many of you guys know that I am one of the last guys to plug any sort of supplements, but this product convinced me enough to use it regularly, at least once a year.

...Weapon, again you are right that the human body is quite adept at digesting and expelling waste effectively, but these days we Americans eat tons of trans-fat and red meat. We find trans-fat in all kinds of stuff. Even peanut butter. I try to get rid of that stuff as much as possible, but the human body does have a hard time processing that stuff. I'm not sure how accurate the red-meat thing is... I remember a while back there was a huge thing about a middle-aged man holding 5 pounds of red meat in his colon or something like that. I think that's kind of hokey, but I should do my research on that before saying it's fact or myth.

I keep thinking of the scene on Beverly Hills Cop when Taggart and Rosewood are staking out Axel Foley in the car, and Rosewood is concerned about Taggart's colon. haha funny stuff.

#15 ·
bdsix- if you are only sixteen i can tell you that what you eat can have a major impact on your body at that age. as long as you are active you can eat anything you want. its a good idea to avoid the usual, you know: trans and saturated fat, hydrogenated oils, and anything that says "enriched" on the label. water is obviously important. other than that, you should be fine.

and to david, I'm glad you got something that makes you take satisfying dumps... but if you feel like you have more coming out than going in, that generally means that what you are taking in is being expelled before it can be fully digested. if thats the case then you aren't getting the nutrients you need from your food. whenever you have a bowel movement ALL waste is expelled from the colon and small intestines. the medical definition of constipation is fewer than 3-4 bowel movements PER WEEK. so don't think something is wrong if you dont go 3 times a day. the majority of the detox programs would have you believe that things build up in your colon or that your colon doesn't completely empty itself and that you must help it by using their products. these claims are not only unfounded but they are untrue. If you had remaining fecal matter in your colon you would eventually die of toxicity or blood poisoning. if your colon really isn't emptying entirely or you have a blockage you would know. have you ever had sever constipation? it will send you to the ER. the pain from an intestinal blockage hurts like a hernia. trust me when i say that if you were blocked, you'd know it without a doubt. aside from the pain there is a decrease in appetite and it is occassionally accompanied by nausea. just giving ya the facts man. i work at a place that sells those products and i try to talk people out of them when i can. however some people want what they want and cant be dissuaded. just thought i'd share that info with you and you can do what you want with it.

#18 ·
...and to david, I'm glad you got something that makes you take satisfying dumps... but if you feel like you have more coming out than going in, that generally means that what you are taking in is being expelled before it can be fully digested. if thats the case then you aren't getting the nutrients you need from your food. whenever you have a bowel movement ALL waste is expelled from the colon and small intestines. the medical definition of constipation is fewer than 3-4 bowel movements PER WEEK. so don't think something is wrong if you dont go 3 times a day. the majority of the detox programs would have you believe that things build up in your colon or that your colon doesn't completely empty itself and that you must help it by using their products. these claims are not only unfounded but they are untrue. If you had remaining fecal matter in your colon you would eventually die of toxicity or blood poisoning. if your colon really isn't emptying entirely or you have a blockage you would know. have you ever had sever constipation? it will send you to the ER. the pain from an intestinal blockage hurts like a hernia. trust me when i say that if you were blocked, you'd know it without a doubt. aside from the pain there is a decrease in appetite and it is occassionally accompanied by nausea. just giving ya the facts man. i work at a place that sells those products and i try to talk people out of them when i can. however some people want what they want and cant be dissuaded. just thought i'd share that info with you and you can do what you want with it.
Dude, way satisfying dumps. haha, I'm just playin. I like to freak people out with this whole cleansing thing, but I really believe in it. When I said you should be going about 30-minutes after a meal, I didn't mean that the food I just ate was coming out. The meal stimulates peristalsis, and the meal you ate about 12 hours before is expelled. If you're regular, your GI should be kind of like an assembly line. You put items on a conveyor belt, and they stay in line. My GI is like a clock. I go about 3-4 times a day even without being on the cleansing program, but the frequency correlates with my meals.
When you have a bowel movement, only what is in your rectum is expelled. If everything was expelled from your colon and small intestines, then you would never fully digest your food, nor would you absorb enough water for your body to function properly. Anyway, I don't mean to negate anything you said. You always have great info, and I know it's coming from a reputable source. The products I have tried in the past were from a GNC, and neither one of them did anything but cost a lot of money. I agree with you from personal experience that most of these cleansing products are a waste of time and a total fake, but this other product I ordered was the real deal. I also turn people away from products I don't believe in, but this is one of the few I think would actually benefit people.
I used to work as a personal trainer and part of my job was to sell supplements. It didn't matter if someone was trying to gain muscle or lose fat, I had a list of supps I was supposed to sell them. Bottom line. It was a part of their training program. They had five different categories, one of which was supplements. If any one of those categories weren' met, they were told that they would fail. So, I would tell them all about the supplements when my supervisor was around, and then I'd tell them that they don't need it, nor do they need to spend the $200 per month (average) to get these supplements. The only one I would sell was this multivitamin, which really was a great quality supp. My point of this whole rambling story is, I don't encourage people to take supplements unless they are absolutely necessary or effective, considering their goals. I am not trying to sell this cleansing supplement. I am merely sharing my experience with it. Weapon, I appreciate your concern and your sharing your knowledge with us, as always.

#17 ·
losing 3 pounds in one day is not good... unless you crapped like a mutha. lol
It was more likely water weight or muscle than it was fat.

#19 ·
cool man. i appreciate your insight and if you feel it works, then go for it. i didn't mean to come off as overly agressive in my delivery. you are correct about expelling waste from the rectum, that was my bad. i tried to combine a couple different thoughts in one sentence. i think i'd benefit from some proofreading haha. i appreciate your point of view and in a way im in the same position. i work for GNC and marketing and selling is more part of the business than people's well being is. i try to counteract that as much as possible. thanks for being so articulate and thorough.

you mentioned vitamins... what kind? what brand?
i take a powdered methylated vitamin from Ola Loa. really good stuff. heres a link to the article i read that led me to them, good info:

http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_4863.cfm

#20 · (Edited)
Not at all over-aggressive man, it's cool. You're just trying to help people, and it's good to see that. It's also good to see someone else working in a similar field and trying to undo the crap that the businesses try to get you to do.
The Multi that I was recommending to people was from Apex, and I was really fascinated with the manufacturing process it went through. Each pill goes through an enrobing process. Enrobed pills allow certain vitamins to be released when they'll be absorbed, rather than all at once with compressed pills. In compressed or non-enrobed pills, a high percentage of the vitamins are destroyed before ever getting absorbed. I don't remember the specific percentages, but it was something like 80% efficiency as opposed to about 15% efficiency in compressed pills. Also, they're USP approved, so the potency and quality is regulated. They used to be the only ones I could find that were enrobed, but I bet there's a bunch out there now. Oh, and I used to work for 24-hour fitness. I could say some really bad things, but I'm not sure if that's against any sort of rules. Let's just say I hate that company. I also hate to see them on the Biggest Loser, promoting the hell out of themselves. They really schnive their clients. That's a real word now by the way... Schnive. I put it in the Urban Dictionary. Apex is affiliated with 24-hour fitness, but their supps are actually very good. There is a line of multi's that are designed to match your lifestyle. There's one for the normal omnivorous person, one for vegans, and one for performance athletes. Oh and one for women, prenatal, and kids. They've expanded since I quit at 24hf.

Oh, just to demonstrate the ridiculousness of 24-hf's supplement pushing, there were about six different supps we were supposed to sell for anybody wanting to lose weight. One of them was Pyruvate, which was made out to be the miracle fat-loss supplement. A one-month supply would cost over $70, and that's just for one supplement.

#22 ·
Don't know as much about this kind of things as most but what Pankrato says

"eating light meals for a day and drinking 1 gallon or more of water...
...good shakes, you know, blender type meals.
And of course, lots of fruits and vegetables, that's all ya need."

This sounds like common sense to me.

Probably Weapon is right in that alot of "detox" diets are fads and some are harmful but the above suggestions couldn't hurt.

I'd also like to add some points here.

Young and relatively active people probably dont need radical detox diets and some of them are probably just straight out bad for you.

however

keep in mind that its not unheard of for a person in their 40-50's with an unhealthy lifestyle to have lots of impacted fecal matter in the intestinal track - like upwards of a pound in some cases. (a relative of mine has a serious bowel condition resulting from impacted fecal matter so I know this stuff is for real)

Also toxic levels of poisons can build up in the body over a long period of time. Take mercury poisoning from fish for example. Where I live (ottawa, canada) the fisheries guide actually specifies a maximum ammount of fish that can be safely eaten from the local river over a period of one month. That would imply that it may take considerable time for the body to filter out those toxins. Of course, wether these special detox diets can accelerate that process is another matter.

This is actually a really interesting topic here, if anyone knows about this stuff please post more.

#23 ·
Your case of a middle-aged or older person with a poor lifestyle/eating habit would be the best person for the detox I mentioned earlier. I agree that the natural flushing with fresh fruits and veggies w/ tons of water is a great way to go. However, I used to be kind of a connoisseur of certain supplements and now I've moved on to colon cleansers. I quit taking supplements for the most part because I grew up and decided not to put that crap in my body anymore. I have tried different colon cleansers/detoxifiers, and only one of them showed ANY real results. The others mostly had a laxative effect, and didn't do anything for me. They cost about 40-60 bucks for the ones I tried. The one that worked for me was only about 20 bucks for the warm-up phase, and 20 bucks for the actual 5-day cleanser. You don't even have to get the warm-up one if you're already regular. Anyway, the 5-day cleanser was crazy. It worked awesome, and I can't say enough good about it. It's the only reason why I believe in cleansing. If I hadn't taken this one program, I would be saying that these are scams, wastes of money, and probably unhealthy. Now I plan to take this cleanser twice a year just to maintain. I don't like to plug supplements, but if anyone is wondering what program I'm talking about, just ask.

#27 ·
Damn right buddy. I'll never go back to the otc stuff. They had the "good" ones locked up in a case, and they were about $50 bucks or more. I thought, hey, I better go with the good stuff, but it was a total waste of money, not to mention the unpleasant laxative effects. It's not even like a normal laxative. It's a week long deal! The idea behind this product is that the ingredients absorb everything that needs to be cleansed from the GI lining. It doesn't just try to flush it out. PLUS you get to freak people out with the black, grainy mix. It doesn't taste bad if you mix it with 100% juice. They just came out with capsules though, so that might be the way to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.