Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.fightofthenight.com/news/referee-big-john-mccarthy-set-for-ufc-return-in-august/

The most famous referee in the history of MMA, ‘Big’ John McCarthy is rumored to be headed for a return to officiate at a UFC event for the first time in over two and a half years.

The news comes from Sherdog.com’s Greg Savage who mentions it on his twitter account, stating, “Just heard “Big” John McCarthy is scheduled to referee the UFC on Versus card in San Diego.” So far there’s no official confirmation however.

The UFC On Versus card is set for August 1st and is headlined by Jon Jones Vs Vladimir Matyushenko.

McCarthy became part and parcel of the UFC experience from as early on as UFC 2 and helped set the standard by which referees must not try to live up to in the octagon. At the end of 2007 he announced that he was stepping down from his duties as a referee to begin a new broadcasting career. He would go on to work as an analyst for The Fight Network, and later commentated for Affliction, who at the time were a major rival for the UFC.

Almost a year later in November of 2008 McCarthy began to referee again, but he has yet to officiate another UFC event, with rumors of bad blood between himself and the promotion.

For reasons that are still unclear it appears that McCarthy is finally ready to step foot in the octagon once more, and in all honesty it’s not before time. UFC president is often critical of the officiating at UFC events, so it makes no sense that one of the most respected referees in the business has not been able to get work on the sports biggest stage.

·
Panic-wrestler
4,093 Posts
Nice post.

This is going to be popular, but for me refs get shit in every sport, i don't think there's a big gulf in refing standards if you compare Big John or any of the current refs in the UFC.

·
Registered
113 Posts
so are you trying to say that there is no major differences in the quality of refereeing in the ufc between let's say a john mcarthy or Herb Dean compared to the likes of Yves Lavigne or Dan Miragolatta(sp)?

Nice post.

This is going to be popular, but for me refs get shit in every sport, i don't think there's a big gulf in refing standards if you compare Big John or any of the current refs in the UFC.

·
Panic-wrestler
4,093 Posts
so are you trying to say that there is no major differences in the quality of refereeing in the ufc between let's say a john mcarthy or Herb Dean compared to the likes of Yves Lavigne or Dan Miragolatta(sp)?
Yes.

Refs in all sports are only as good as their last performance, if BJM does come back to the UFC and makes a bad decision in his first fight people will be saying he is past his best... it's the fickle world of sport...

One good call from Dan Mirg??? and people will be creaming over him...

·
Registered
10,783 Posts
I don't agree. Big John is extremely consistant, where as Mirg makes bad calls consistantly. There is a HUGE difference in their reffing ability.

·
Registered
20 Posts
last i checked he was no longer lisenced by nsac, and he was on the bottom of the waiting list. Thats where 'the beef' is, i believe he said some bad stuff about the head of the nsac on his way out the door. So we still won't see him on a vegas card.

Still, good to see the big guy back.

And for what its worth, i don't mind big dan either

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Glad to see him back it's gonna be good to hear.

"Are you Ready? Are you Ready? Let's Get it on!"

Inside the octagon (goldie voice)

·
Registered
113 Posts
i kinda think a ref builds up his rep based on consistency and good judgement over time. lavigne has consistently made knucklehead decision while refereeing and thusly he should be fired. it's certainly not from one bad decision. and on the flip side i john mccarthy has been consistently good since the dawn of mma. his rep is not going to diminish from one single bad call and based on his track record it's most likely that he's not going to make a bad call.

Yes.

Refs in all sports are only as good as their last performance, if BJM does come back to the UFC and makes a bad decision in his first fight people will be saying he is past his best... it's the fickle world of sport...

One good call from Dan Mirg??? and people will be creaming over him...

·
Banned
820 Posts
Good to see him back. He was a UFC main stay untill they had the fight.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Big John and Herb Dean, Finnaly a chance at consitently good reffereeing.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts