Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
http://mmajunkie.com/news/16855/nogueira-has-sever-staph-infection-ufc-108-bout-with-velasquez-off.mma

These injuries are crazy!!!

MANCHESTER, England – The UFC's injury woes continue, and another main event has been scrapped.

A planned UFC 108 bout between heavyweight contenders Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (32-5-1 MMA, 3-1 UFC) and Cain Velasquez (7-0 MMA, 5-0 UFC) has been called off due to a severe staph infection currently affecting "Big Nog."

UFC president Dana White revealed the news following Saturday's UFC 105 post-event press conference to a small group of reporters.

"[Nogueira] got staph infection, bad, to the point now it's in his bloodstream, and he's probably going to have to be hospitalized and intravenously given the antibiotics," White said.

UFC 108, previously titled "Nogueira vs. Velasquez," is scheduled for Jan. 2 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

White said the recent string of bad luck for the company, which has included injuries to several of the UFC's most prominent fighters, is the worst he's seen in his time at the helm of the promotion.

"It's crazy," White said. "In nine years of being in this business, we haven't had this many injuries in one (full) year."

Despite the setback, White said his company would deliver a solid event come January.

"This is my business; this is what we do," White said. "My job is to put on fights, and we'll get some fights for Jan. 2."

White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) he is uncertain if Velasquez will remain on the card. With Brock Lesnar on the shelf indefinitely, Shane Carwin would seem to be a natural option. Unfortunately, White said Carwin just underwent knee surgery and would be unavailable for the event.

Reactions: Xerxes

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
Maybe Blackhouse should clean there gym once in a while :dunno:

Seriously though Im begining to doubt the UFC can pull of a great year end show, I mean who is left.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Man, Lesnar could be done for good, Nog out for a while, Carwin recovering from knee surgery...the HW division has been almost destroyed in one week.

·
Registered
241 Posts
LOL at everyone thinking that Fedor is ducking the UFC HW division. There is no HW division in the UFC anymore. He used his voodooo priest to get revenge on Dana's shit talking.

·
Registered
10,783 Posts
Jesus christ... No epic cards to look forward to until mid 2010 it seems.

·
ROCKET FISTS
5,743 Posts
LOL at everyone thinking that Fedor is ducking the UFC HW division. There is no HW division in the UFC anymore. He used his voodooo priest to get revenge on Dana's shit talking.
lmfao

Seriously though, what's going on. What big fights are left at HW?

JDS vs Cain

Kongo vs Mir

...?

·
ROCKET FISTS
5,743 Posts
I WISH IT WERE THAT EASY...

Carwin underwent knee surgery.

JDS is already fighting at 108.
JDS is fighting a guy under his skill level in Gonzaga. Lame.

IMO, JDS vs Cain

Gonzaga vs Rothwell (to make sure GG is still game or not, and possibly to give him a W)

Kongo vs Mir (already for 108)

It's weird we have NOBODY right now that deserves to fight for even the interim belt. haha

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
Its all a UFC ploy to get Kimbo Slice a title shot sfobv. Kimbo gets by Alexander and BINGO!!!!!

*re-adjusts tin foil hat*

·
NO. 1 *BONER*
7,727 Posts
It's a BIG shame. I was really looking forward to this fight. Sounded great.
The worse part though is, now they don't have anywone to fight Velasquez. I would have loved to see Cain vs Dos Santos.
I can't really find a good name for Velasquez to fight right now.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cain should fight carwin!

sounds like brock will be out for ages so it makes sense

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Its all a UFC ploy to get Kimbo Slice a title shot sfobv. Kimbo gets by Alexander and BINGO!!!!!

*re-adjusts tin foil hat*
Or, even better. Make Kimbo vs Alexander an Interim title fight :thumbsup:

The UFC really aren't having much luck are they. So many fights needing to be rescheduled recently. Was looking forward to this one, real disappointing for Nog! I'd go for Carwin vs Velasquez for the Interim title.

·
ROCKET FISTS
5,743 Posts
Or, even better. Make Kimbo vs Alexander an Interim title fight :thumbsup:

The UFC really aren't having much luck are they. So many fights needing to be rescheduled recently. Was looking forward to this one, real disappointing for Nog! I'd go for Carwin vs Velasquez for the Interim title.

Carwin is out from knee surgery.

·
Registered
643 Posts
This is too bad, I really wanted to see the signature Nog pull a crazy submission out of nowhere after taking beating.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts