Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When fighter salaries were originally posted I think a typo lead to his salary being stated as much lower than it was on some sites.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/UFC-114-Payouts-Evans-Earns-410000-24824

$175,000 to show and $150,000 win bonus.

That's a lot of money for a fighter who's never been able to break through into the top of any division, but I guess his contribution to capturing the UK market is being rewarded.

·
of Nazareth
10,239 Posts
I think the he helps the UFC to sell a lot of PPV's in the UK. That's the main (and only) reason for his big paycheck.
We don't get UFC PPV's in the UK. We watch the events by subscribing to ESPN which costs £10 a month. So, whether Bisping is on the card or not, the subscription counts are the same. I have wondered whether ESPN-UK pay more to the UFC depending on whos on the card. That could explain why Bisping gets so much.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Regardless how we subscribe to UFC in the UK it will always help keep people intersted in the UK to UFC if some of the fighters are British. Like Brock Lesnar, he gets paid big money and part of it was cause he was a well known name. I think the UFC knows that to keep a lot of differnt nationalities in the UFC wil help its global market.

·
NO. 1 *BONER*
7,727 Posts
We don't get UFC PPV's in the UK. We watch the events by subscribing to ESPN which costs £10 a month. So, whether Bisping is on the card or not, the subscription counts are the same. I have wondered whether ESPN-UK pay more to the UFC depending on whos on the card. That could explain why Bisping gets so much.
Didn't know that...about the PPV's.
But still...his paycheck has to do something with the fact he is bringing the UFC some money, from marketing, merchandising and other stuff. Otherwise i can't explain why he is making so much. It's absurd.

·
-Raids Into Transylvania-
3,029 Posts
He's the golden boy for now alright. Funny thing is though, with dudes like Pearson/Etim/Hathaway coming up through the ranks he soon won't be the only poster boy for UK mma, and if he gets a few 'L's on his record Dana certainly won't keep paying that kind of cash. Great money while you can get it though.

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
He deserves every penny imo. When he won tuf he spent so much of his time promoting mma in the uk, he was always on setanta doing interviews and pretty much doing what ever the ufc asked him in order to push the sport of mma in the uk. I guess being the uk poster boy has its perks but to be honest for the work hes put in promoting the sport he deservers to be rewarded and im glad the ufc are rewarding him for this.

·
To the death George
2,306 Posts
Bisping is the UKs first big star in MMA, so id say he deserves it. I know theres better fighters than him on less money, but i bet they dont have the same draw power as bisping on there home soil.

·
WIDE OPEN
3,973 Posts
I think any fighter deserves as much money as they can get, as long as they aren't hurting the company.

That being said, 15 g's for Miller in the co-main? Jesus ******* Christ. I hope they gave him some bonuses under the table like in the past, because that guy is having a rough time in his life, and he caught Bisping with just about as many punches as were landed on him. Bisping said he would come in and end it early, while his most aggressive point in the night was the stare-down, BY FAR. While Miller basically said "realisticaly, it's going to be a 3 round war." Which employee is delivering on their word more? Cmon, throw him a bone.

·
Registered
342 Posts
$15,000 - minus taxes.
oops. missed your post right above me.

so Bisping makes 10 times what his opponent makes? 20 times since Miller lost?

unbelievable. No wonder we hear so much stupid shit talking in the UFC today, if you can be an annoying prick that people want to see get his ass kicked then you will make 10 times more than somebody who fights hard and is respectful to his opponents.

I do like Bisping but this is ridiculous to me

·
WIDE OPEN
3,973 Posts
don't be mad at Bisping, he has a family to provide for just like every other fighter, and he has a good contract.

I just would hope that management would throw Miller something extra to help him with everything he's been going through. Especially since he stood toe to toe and tried to give an exciting fight to everyone.

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Bisping's a TUF winner and the first big UK UFC star. It shouldn't be a surprise that he's making big money.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts