·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.fightersonlymagazine.co.uk/news/viewarticle.php?id=4851

News
Back to News Index
09/07/10 - Exclusive: Bisping faces Akiyama at UFC 120

Top British middleweight Michael Bisping’s next opponent will be Japanese judo stylist Yoshihiro Akiyama, Fighters Only learned this morning from a UK source. The fight will headline UFC 120 in October.

Bout agreements have been drawn up and at least one has been completed and signed, with the second expected to be completed in the very near future to make the bout official.

Bisping is coming off a unanimous decision win over Dan Miller at UFC 114, which followed a unanimous decision loss to Wanderlei Silva at UFC 110. He is 2-2 in his last four UFC outings.

Akiyama is coming off a surprise loss to Chris Leben at UFC 116 this past weekend. He had been due to fight Wanderlei Silva but the Brazilian pulled out because of knee and rib injuries sustained in training.

Akiyama’s loss to Leben puts him 1-1 in the UFC and means he will very likely be fighting for his contract on October 16th. Other fights rumoured for the card include Dan Hardy vs. Carlos Condit and Cheick Kongo vs. Travis Browne.
bull ******* shit

·
Registered
453 Posts
In what way is this a UFC Main Event? I'll still be going to it, but i cannot comprehend why they insist on having Bisping as a main event. If he wasnt British he would struggle to be on the main CARD. And Akiyama has been disapointing in both his UFC fights.

Just because we are British does not mean we require or even want British fighters (undeservedly) headlining our cards. Why cant we have a real main event with world class fighters and perhaps some British fighters lower down on the card? Because to be honest, there isnt a British fighter in the UFC that is deserving of a main event or even co-main event spot, if it where based purely on talent.

And this coming from an Englishman.

Reactions: suniis and pipe

·
Registered
453 Posts
only on a uk card do UFC seem to find it ok to have a guy fighting for his contract as a main event.
im still going to it regardless but im not happy

Exactly how i feel. I would have even accepted a Bisping v Belfort or Wandy main event, purely because i would love to see either of the latter in action.

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
I personally think it's a great fight. Bisping gets some unfair criticism I think. Sure, he wouldn't be headlining cards if he wasn't British, but he sells tickets in the UK, and very rarely puts on a dull fight. Akiyama's fight with Leben was very entertaining too. I gained a lot of respect for him during that fight. He took some heavy shots from Leben, and kept moving forward. This should be a seriously entertaining fight and one I'm looking forward to seeing.

I think this card is shaping up nicely too. Should be the first card I get to go and see in person, and I think it's looking very solid on paper.

Michael Bisping vs Yoshihiro Akiyama
Dan Hardy vs Carlos Condit
John Hathaway vs Dong Hyun Kim
Cheick Kongo vs Travis Browne
Alexander Gustafsson vs. Cyrille Diabaté

That looks like the makings of a very exciting card I think. If they can add Ross Pearson into the mix, should he beat Cole Miller, then it becomes even better. Or even move the Miller fight onto this card, as it'd be a struggle for Ross to fight at UFN 22 and then fight at 120 a month later. Would much rather see that fight on the 120 card personally. I reckon we'll see 1 more non-British fight on the card too. I'd personally love to see Phil Davis in action, no idea who against, but someone like Jason Brilz would be sweet.

·
Sleepy
2,153 Posts
As both a Bisping and Akiyama fan, I really can't undestand how this is main event. This fight should be the calibre of fight that is on just before the co-main event. Some really nice fights and does look liek a good card, but you really need two big names to main event, instead of being force fed-Bisping "because he sells."

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Typical, another poor main event in the UK. There hasn't been a real main event since Page vs Hendo at UFC 75. That was 3 freakin years ago.

Dana says himself that MMA knows no bounds in terms of nationality, so why does he feel the need to pack UK cards with UK fighters, signing some UK cans for that purpose and then top it off with a crap main event involving a Brit?

This saturation of Brits on UK cards is getting tedious. Just to give some examples, obviously Bisping, Hardy and Hathaway are going to feature. But to add to that, all these guys are rumoured to be fighting too:

Tom Blackledge
Curt Warburton
Rob Broughton
Paul Sass

Sass is worth a try but he hasn't fought anyone notable. Warburton has a win over Pearson but is very inexperienced. The other two are cans, they just happen to train at the wolfslair and because of this insistence by the UFC to involve Brits on the UK cards, regardless of their actual ability, they got signed.

:angry04:

·
Banned
820 Posts
Glad to see Akiyama getting back in the cage sooner then later to mix things up, and as for Bis. Well yea.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Didn't he just get FOTN? I *doubt* he's fighting for contract, but could be soon. Although he should destroy Bisping, at least I hope he does.
LOL, remember Kang got FOTN against Bisping at 105 and was fired the next day!

I see Akiyama throwing Bisping around for one round before gassing out and becoming a human punching bag.

·
of Nazareth
10,239 Posts
Main event worthy? Naaaa.

But man... it looks like a good fight to me. Far better matchup than the train wreck that would have been Bisping vs Belfort.

@Hiro
We've been here before bro... and I don't actually disagree with you. But I completely understand why they do it. The simple facts are that the UK crowd at the event get far more excited when the fighters are from the UK. Sure, 10%-20% of the crowd ( you and me for example ) might prefer to see the best fighters, but the majority love them some home grown shit. In general, thats the UK way. Completely fanatical about supporting homeboys. I tire of it myself sometimes and that's saying something.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
LOL, remember Kang got FOTN against Bisping at 105 and was fired the next day!

I see Akiyama throwing Bisping around for one round before gassing out and becoming a human punching bag.
I think a lot of Akiyama being so dead at the end of his last fight was a combination of ring rust plus the heavy shots he took from Leben. I think he'll be in much better shape on both fronts against Bisping.

WAR SEXY!

Oh and ya, this is a pretty sad headliner for sure.

·
Registered
329 Posts
In what way is this a UFC Main Event? .... If he wasnt British he would struggle to be on the main CARD.
And this coming from an Englishman.
^^^ Agreed!

And Akiyama has been disapointing in both his UFC fights.
I don't quite agree with you on this one. I do think he should have won the Leben fight, and I think if they fight that fight 10 times he wins at least 8 of them. Perhaps he simply took Leben lightly and wasn't prepared mentally for the fight to be brought to him the way Leben brought it....but just clarity... it was certainly not a disappointing fight. ...well.... it was an exciting fight.. perhaps it shouldn't have been...if Akiyama had fought well.
one thing we can know for sure..... he doesn't need to concern himself in any way with the power of Bisping. He took some nasty shots from Leben, who hits a lot harder than Bisping, and he kept coming. I say he should just Brock-rush Bisping and maul him... turn it ugly...lots of elbows.. lots of blood, sweat, and spit. Break Bisping's will. No offense intended regarding nationalities.. I just don't like Bisping.

Cheers mate!

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
I personally think it's a great fight. Bisping gets some unfair criticism I think. Sure, he wouldn't be headlining cards if he wasn't British, but he sells tickets in the UK, and very rarely puts on a dull fight. Akiyama's fight with Leben was very entertaining too. I gained a lot of respect for him during that fight. He took some heavy shots from Leben, and kept moving forward. This should be a seriously entertaining fight and one I'm looking forward to seeing.

I think this card is shaping up nicely too. Should be the first card I get to go and see in person, and I think it's looking very solid on paper.

Michael Bisping vs Yoshihiro Akiyama
Dan Hardy vs Carlos Condit
John Hathaway vs Dong Hyun Kim
Cheick Kongo vs Travis Browne
Alexander Gustafsson vs. Cyrille Diabaté

That looks like the makings of a very exciting card I think. If they can add Ross Pearson into the mix, should he beat Cole Miller, then it becomes even better. Or even move the Miller fight onto this card, as it'd be a struggle for Ross to fight at UFN 22 and then fight at 120 a month later. Would much rather see that fight on the 120 card personally. I reckon we'll see 1 more non-British fight on the card too. I'd personally love to see Phil Davis in action, no idea who against, but someone like Jason Brilz would be sweet.
Dont get me wrong, to me this card looks excellent, in fact it could just proved some of the fights of the year, I am from the UK and would love to see this event live, I have ESPN so we get all the UFC events for free anyway, but I can see from a US fan PPV buyer perspective, this card is more like a fight night card so I cant see the US fans been happy to buy the PPV

Edit: and for the record, WAR BISPING and fcuk any UK based fan that dont like him you fcuking traitors should be hunted down and charged with treason, let the US fans hate on him all they like we can just hate on them right back lol

1 - 20 of 98 Posts