1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Any Weight, Anytime...
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BJ Penn: I'm not on the pound-for-pound list anymore -- that's gotta be Fedor

http://www.mmamania.com/2010/4/14/1422429/bj-penn-im-not-on-the-pound-for

by Jesse Holland on Apr 14, 2010 4:02 PM EDT

Props: 106.7 The Fan (via Sports Radio Interviews)

Quoteworthy:

"I’m not happy about losing the title. I don’t want to take anything away from Frankie. He did a good job. As a fighter, you’re always thinking you’re winning the fight and you never think you’re losing. You just have that mental mindset. Looking back at it, I just want to congratulate Frankie. My first thought was I gotta get back in the ring immediately and I want to get back on track. The UFC actually called us yesterday and they want to put a rematch in the works and we’ll see what goes from here. I think I got a good idea at what he’s gonna try and do. I know his power, I know how hard he punches, and I know the way he moves. I got that pictured in my mind. The rematch is going to be more technical. After my defeat decision the past couple of days ago, I’m not on [the pound-for-pound] list anymore. It’s gotta be Fedor. He finishes his guys and how can I argue against him?"

Former UFC Lightweight Champion BJ Penn is already planning on his rematch with newly crowned division kingpin Frankie Edgar after "The Prodigy" came up short on the judges scorecards last Saturday night (April 10) at UFC 112 in Abu Dhabi. The Hawaiian has been considerably humble following his shocking defeat and even bestows the pound-for-pound title on famed Russian heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko. Is "The Last Emperor" a surprising choice considering he's a non-UFC fighter?

·
Registered
181 Posts
My respect for bj penn has gone up immensely.. He is showing great class.. And i look forward to the rematch.. maybe he mite choke out edgar this time instead of standing up wit him.

·
Administrator
15,547 Posts
Was a Penn fan, am a Penn fan, and will always be a Penn fan.

As for him claiming Fedor is the best in the world, he's not the only UFC fighter who has said it:

GSP

Shogun

BJ

Anderson (sort of)

Have all stated that Fedor is the best in the world.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Fedor is great, but wouldn't it be nice if he were active enough to provide solid grounding for this assertion? He was amazing in two of his last three, but Brett Rogers pummeled him from the top for a good portion of the first round in their meeting.

There are at least four HW's in the UFC with a legitimate chance of beating him (five if you count Roy Nelson :thumb02:). With Fedor untested in this way, it's really unjustifiable to rank him #1 in the world. My two.

·
Registered
11 Posts
There will never be a distinct P4P best. Every site, reporter, writer, ect all have their own opinions/rankings, which gives you a good idea of where certain writers are leaning. But in terms of Fedor being hte P4P best, i use to give it to him, but with his activity going down, i can't really consider him the best.

His skill set, mentality, are all at the elite level, and one could really say the skillset and mentality is equal to that of Anderson Silva.

I would have to say, with great regret following recent performances that Anderson Silva is the best in the world. He makes his opponents look like a complete joke. His lack of interest in fighting is very apparent. Maia was a more-game opponent that Leites, but something went terribly wrong either he gassed out or he just didn't want to engage and cruise to victory.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Fedor in one way or another revolutionized the sport as we know it. He's well versed in almost all aspects of the game, and he's not afraid to engage. He fights were his opponents are at their strongest and beats them there. He may show weaknesses, but his triumph over adversity makes him great. That's why you can never argue that Fedor is the best.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Unless Fedor lose he stays the best for me.

His skill set, mentality, are all at the elite level, and one could really say the skillset and mentality is equal to that of Anderson Silva.
Skill set/Talent goes to Silva.
Mentality? Silva? Fedor doesnt play games, he fights! He doesnt even love fighting much, he said its his job and he is best at it.

Most people still dont get it. He doesnt care if ppl consider him the best or fighting best guys. He just go there and win a fight. He is more interested in promoting M-1 global as a co-owner.

Its hard to get Fedor in UFC when Dana doesnt want to promote M-1 and Fedor doesnt want to be great promotion for UFC only for $, he needs more.

Its shame that UFC wont allow the co-promotion fight. Champ vs champ.
But I understand it. Its too risky with Fedor. If he would dismantle UFC champ, UFC will look bad.
Dana will not risk it, because in long term UFC IS! recognised the best organisation. Fedor is only one case and not hurt UFC much. If Fedor kills UFC champ while being part of organisation will hurt UFC a lot and DW knows it.

·
The Detective
1,338 Posts
Some people argue that GSP's inability to finish anyone in over 2 years is one reason
In the last 2 years, GSP has finished Matt Serra and BJ Penn (yes he did finish BJ Penn). And if you go back 2 and 1/2 years, he also finished Hughes in that time. Of his last 6 opponents, he finished 3 of them. Out of the 3 fighters he did not finish, Hardy, Alves, and Fitch, he dominated and came razor close to finishing Hardy and Fitch. I always get confused when people say he can't finish fights. Out of his 14 wins, half of them (7 for the math impaired) were finishes. If he beat Serra the 1st time like he should have, he would have 13 wins in a row.

GSP has my vote for best pound for pound. I'm not saying he is definitely #1 because Anderson is so good too. I think Fedor needs to come to the UFC so we can see him against the best guys. I think he would do well in the UFC but I think he would get beat at least once or twice.

·
Any Weight, Anytime...
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Win 20–2 England Dan Hardy Decision (Unanimous) UFC 111: St.Pierre vs. Hardy 02010-03-27 March 27, 2010 5 5:00 United States Newark, New Jersey Defended UFC Welterweight Championship

Win 19–2 Brazil Thiago Alves Decision (Unanimous) UFC 100 02009-07-11 July 11, 2009 5 5:00 United States Las Vegas,
Nevada Defended UFC Welterweight Championship

Win 18–2 United States B.J. Penn TKO (Corner Stoppage) UFC 94: St Pierre vs Penn 2 02009-01-31 January 31, 2009 4 5:00 United States Las Vegas, Nevada Defended UFC Welterweight Championship

Win 17–2 United States Jon Fitch Decision (Unanimous) UFC 87: Seek and Destroy 02008-08-09 August 9, 2008 5 5:00 United States Minneapolis, Minnesota Defended UFC Welterweight Championship, Won Fight of the Night

Win 16–2 United States Matt Serra TKO (Knees) UFC 83: Serra vs. St-Pierre 2 02008-04-19 April 19, 2008

Serra fight was nearly 2 years ago to the day.. BJ was an inflated LW, hes got no business being there you know that.

·
The Mad Titan
5,111 Posts
In the last 2 years, GSP has finished Matt Serra and BJ Penn (yes he did finish BJ Penn). And if you go back 2 and 1/2 years, he also finished Hughes in that time. Of his last 6 opponents, he finished 3 of them. Out of the 3 fighters he did not finish, Hardy, Alves, and Fitch, he dominated and came razor close to finishing Hardy and Fitch. I always get confused when people say he can't finish fights. Out of his 14 wins, half of them (7 for the math impaired) were finishes. If he beat Serra the 1st time like he should have, he would have 13 wins in a row.

GSP has my vote for best pound for pound. I'm not saying he is definitely #1 because Anderson is so good too. I think Fedor needs to come to the UFC so we can see him against the best guys. I think he would do well in the UFC but I think he would get beat at least once or twice.
serra and penn are LW's he can't finish anyone who doesn't have a significant size disadvantage

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
Lets get this out of the way. Fedor is simply amazing and the only thing hurting his P4P status is his desire to fight more, You cant have somebody in the #1 P4P slot when they fight once every 2 years. I think GSP is the #1 P4P ATM because of his dominance in every fight, he may not finish fighters like others do but he completely tools his competition.

You can still have a good arguement as why Silva is the #1 P4P fighter and I see nothing wrong with it. He wanted to fight and Maia didnt bring it in the first 3 rounds, but he kind of left the ring in the 4th and 5th.

This whole "Who is #1 P4P" is very debatable and there really isnt a clear #1, You can discuss this for hours at a time and you wont reach a verdict.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I dont know how anyone can dislike this guy. He hasnt said 1 wrong thing since his fight with GSP. He has been nothing but respect. bjpenn.com shows the real BJPENN, not the one the UFC shows. The guys cares about his fans more than any other fighter out there.

He will win the rm.

·
Registered
211 Posts

BJ Penn was the smallest WW in the UFC roster at the time. And Serra is the fattest WW. They are both LW's. GSP has a huge strength and power advantage against those two. GSP isnt the best p4p untill he finishes oponents that are not LW's. Silva and Fedor are above GSP. And BJ Penn would be to if the Judges werent sleeping that night.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
BJ Penn was the smallest WW in the UFC roster at the time. And Serra is the fattest WW. They are both LW's. GSP has a huge strength and power advantage against those two. GSP isnt the best p4p untill he finishes oponents that are not LW's. Silva and Fedor are above GSP. And BJ Penn would be to if the Judges werent sleeping that night.
Where is it in the rules of the P4P ladder that you need to finish your opponents? My opinion of p4p is that a fighter needs to be completely dominant in his division regardless if they finishes fights or not. Certain fighters are just harder to finish and a lot of those are in the WW division.

one example is Silva's amazing KO over Forrest Griffen, That was complete domination but who knows how long that fight would have went if Forrest actually had a good gameplan. How can you possibly think rushing Silva like that will turn into anything but a bad situation for yourself. If you didnt know... Forrest can take massive punishment and still stick in there.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts