Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Give B.J. Penn credit. The former two-division UFC champion won’t make any excuses for his loss to heavy underdog Frankie Edgar at UFC 112 in Abu Dhabi in April. Speaking to him earlier Thursday afternoon, I tried to get him to say something. I tried to get him to talk about whether he was hurt or sick at all. I asked about the conditions in an outdoor arena. I asked about overlooking the 8:1 underdog.

The closest thing I got to an excuse? “It’s not like I’m dying to go back (to Abu Dhabi) anytime soon…
“…but we had a great time there.”

After the second Matt Hughes fight, it was the rib injury. After the second Georges St-Pierre fight? Greasegate. After the Edgar fight? Nothing. Not even comment on the judges’ decision which most people would agree was sketchy at the very least. (Frankie Edgar did not win all five rounds of that fight as one judge scored it. Period.)

Penn accepted the decision, did his book tour, and quickly got back in the gym.

And that’s not good for Frankie Edgar.

When it comes to the rematch August 28, Penn’s got the same team with him. Troy Mandaloniz has come over from Maui to help him train in Hilo, and he’ll spend three weeks in Orange County at the RVCA gym beginning at the end of the month before leaving for Boston around August 18.

He finally watched the first fight within the last two weeks, and says he saw some things he plans on doing better

Would he share them? No. But he did say this:

"Without giving too much away, I really don’t think he’ll be able to compete with me come August 28th. I think we’re going to have too much for him. I think he’s going to have a false sense of security. He really doesn’t know who I am after the first fight. He’s going to be shocked when he finds out the real me.”

Motivation has always come into question with Penn, but not for this fight. He has a loss to avenge, he has a title to win back, but maybe the most important, he has a career that he doesn’t want to waste fighting second-tier lightweights in a climb back toward earning a shot.

“I want to do this for awhile,” Penn said. “I don’t want this to be my last fight. I want to stick around and fight the best and to do that, I have to win. I have to win on August 28th and I’m not even thinking about losing at all.”

You’ve heard it a million times. “This is the biggest fight of my career.” It might not be for Penn in terms of fanfare and anticipation, but if a future of big name fights in the UFC is what Penn wants, he must defeat Edgar for the title.

Or else, it’ll be a long climb back to the top. And at 31 years old, with a daughter who is about to celebrate her second birthday, with plenty of money-making ventures outside of the cage, who knows if it’s a climb “The Prodigy” will want to make.

WAR BJ PENN, LIGHTWEIGHTS GOAT

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
Edgar is a solid fighter, but not elite where BJ is at. Sure it was a five round win, but there was no decisive finish; submission, KO, TKO, or where the opponent was completely battered.

I want to see Jose Aldo move up to 155, BJ take on the WW division again. GSP move up to MW and Anderson Silva move up to LHW and HW.

·
Premium Member
9,226 Posts
I think this loss was a good thing for BJ - Every once in a while he needs his love for the sport to be rekindled and Edgar seemingly supplied the spark that was needed... BJ sounds focused and ready to showcase what he can be if he wants to... REALLY looking forward to this match :)

·
-Raids Into Transylvania-
3,029 Posts
Penn certainly wans't at his best against Edgar in Abu Dhabi, he just seemed slightly off. All credit to Edgar though, he did well and his movement was very solid. But I think he's gonna get a serious shock when he faces BJ in a few weeks time. A serious shock.

·
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
9,814 Posts
Hell maybe we are going to see BJ use his Jits?
^^^ this.

Frankie deserves all the praise. He fought the fight of his life. He found the answer and became world champion. He will always be able to tell people that he beat BJ Penn. Fair and square. In his prime. No rib, no grease, no out of shape BJ.

However.... BJ is a special, maybe unique talent in this sport. Machida couldn't stop him. That one sentence is worth a thousand words. Bj has unmatched potential. He has the best bjj and the best boxing in the game and he's barely tried harder than kevin Randalmn at times.

Poor Frankie has awoke the monster and will get beaten badly. This reminds me of his two Pulver fights.

·
Registered
309 Posts
He could take him down and beat him til he quits like GSP did.
If Penn gets taken down I would like to see him feel it out on his back first...it's been a while since we've seen his world class jiu jitsu in action! And I don't think Edgar would beat Penn in any position on the ground, but thats just my opinion. Penn can't fight a long fight with Edgar, he's too agile with his boxing and takedowns and will just out point him. Not to forget his incredible gas tank, of course.

I think Penn will be able to control the pace of Edgar and my prediction will be Penn via RNC round 2 ;)

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
I feel that the Edgar fans frustration stems from people not giving him a real chance at beating Penn twice in a row. There's a reason for that. Edgar is VERY, VERY good at employing his gameplan. The problem lies within the fact that BJ is thought of to be one of the greatest P4P fighters of our generation. When he's motivated like this to avenge a loss, he can put himself in the GSP/Silva/Aldo/Fedor aura of invincibility. They're not undefeated fighters, but they have that aura (I realize Fedor's last loss removed his a bit - and lot of people don't like GSP's constant methodical decision wins, but he still has that aura, 'nuff said about Silva, and Aldo is ridiculous)...Penn's work ethic has removed that in the past, but I really expect the best BJ Penn to walk into that octagon Aug 28.

I expect to see a master at work. Much respect to Frankie Edgar for being so humble and such a ridiculous hard worker, I wish him the absolute best in his career - Unfortunately I see him suffering a beatdown on Aug 28.

·
Cheeky freak of the week
1,646 Posts
Frankie is gonna bring speed. BJ is gonna bring the most complete skillset in the division, and on top of that, a mind set for revenge. Much credit to Edgar for the last fight, but I'm gonna be shocked if he wins this.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It will probably stay on the feet for the first 2 rounds, in which BJ will throw 5 or 6 combos with the intent to "FINISH HIM". If Edgar is still standing, BJ will NOT make the same mistake twice, and this time he'll take it to the GROUND, and deliver one of those "revenge" elbows he's famous for, then RNC Frankie.
Or frankie could pull up the biggest upset two times in a row...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts