Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/4/20/1433195/quote-of-the-day-bj-penn-tells-an

K-1 was offering me $187,500 per fight - five times what the UFC was offering - and I was still willing to stay with them for one-third of that amount. This was when the relationship took a turn for the worse, and my view of White changed drastically. From that point on, I knew when it came to money, we couldn't trust him to treat us right. Did I like him at the dinner table? Sure. But at the negotiating table? Not at all. The pressure to perform and safeguard other people's money had changed him, even though he was constantly bragging to anyone willing to listen about how 'big this thing was going to be.' Things between us would never be the same.

When it was finally official I was going to fight in Japan, White called me up and told me his true feelings. 'You motherfucker! You're ******* done! You'll never fight in the UFC again! You're finished. You're scorched earth, motherfucker. Scorched earth. Don't call me crying saying you want to come back because you're ******* done!' And on and on and on, like a true professional - even going so far as to tell me I would never see my face again in a UFC video, promotion, or anything else. He also planned on removing my fight with Hughes from the UFC 46 DVD so no one would even know who I was. 'It doesn't have to be this way,' I told him. 'You know it wouldn't take that much to make this work.' But he just kept yelling.

BJ Penn, discussing Dana White's reaction to his decision to leave the UFC after defeating Matt Hughes at UFC 46. This is from BJ Penn's new book.

While I haven't read the whole book, it's very likely that White's anger over Penn's book stemmed from this section. The biggest surprise to me is that Penn would come forward with a story like this while he is still an active UFC star. It's one thing to release a tell-all book after retirement, but one has to wonder what the motivation was to tell a story like this now.

As far as the veracity of the above story, I am strongly inclined to believe it is true. I've heard from enough agents and fighters about breakdowns in communication with the UFC to know what happens when they think someone is trying to screw them over.
I believe this story to be true. Sounds like Dana to me.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
The story is always the same: the top UFC stars get paid for pennies on every dollar the UFC makes. Randy's bitched about it, Sylvia, Tito, you name it. Now it's BJ's turn.

They all complain openly, or privately. Some leave but most return.

Personally, I'm sympathetic to the fighters' plight.

Having said that, putting fighters into a situation where they HAVE to put on the very best performance possible not only to feed their families while in the UFC, but simply to stay in the organization at all, allows the UFC to put on the most competitive fights possible.

These guys really are modern day gladiators and most have absolutely nothing to show for it after their fight days are over. If they are fortunate, they'll have five or six business ventures going on simultaneously marketing their brand name to keep them afloat for a period after their fight days are over.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Haha no wonder Dana was quoted as saying 99% of BJs book is not true.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
This is most likely true which is kind of sad, There were always money problems between fighters and the UFC. I think it may have changed now with big name fighters since they get paid around 200-250k per fight+bonus, while the lower profile fighters get jack diddly squat.

Dana White will deny it all most likely, which he already said its 99% untrue.. I think we may see a lot more things like this said in the next 5+years when superstars start retiring and not caring about Dana and the UFC.

·
The Bearded One
4,150 Posts
There´s no doubt about the low incoming for fighters in the UFC, about the nasty words im not gonna pronounce simply cause im no fortune-teller.

It´s really a shame they get such a low incoming,
even a in small conutry like mine a soccer player from a medium / small clubb gets at least 20K € to home every month. And make no doubt about it, those clubs incoming are much smaller than UFC´s.

Fighters must join efforts to change their negotiation strength asap.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
I will never be sympathetic towards this shit from high profile professional athletes.

"K-1 was offering me $187,500 per fight - five times what the UFC was offering"

So Dana only offered $37k a fight, 3 fights a year, triple figures, cry me a fuckin river.
100k is a a fair amount of money, I agree. But there are a few things behind their complaints:

-100k is nothing in comparison to the stars of any other athlete in the big leagues, Jeter, Crosby, Mayweather, Bryant, Manning and certain wrestling stars(e.g. Cena). When the UFC is selling millions of PPV's getting paid as much as a plumber or electrician is insulting.

-100k is nothing when you are putting your physical wellbeing on the line in front of sold out crowds. Getting punched in the head gives you long term brain damage and fighters feel there should be more compensation for the detrimental health effects.

-100k is nothing when Dana is padding his pockets with cash, his house has an arcade in the basement. He has ferrari's, private jets and a mansion and some fighters are struggling to eat while sleeping on friends' couches.

You have to be Couture, GSP or Lesnar to make significant bank in a sport where the president is sitting on the sidelines living like a golden boy treating his stars like assets as opposed to human beings. He uses the monopoly his company has as leverage to force people into submission. Take Heurta for example, he fought because it was the only opportunity out of poverty he had and when life presents him with a way out Dana craps all over him for not wanting to fight anymore. Dana on one hand is a genius businessman who has built an empire, and on the other he dehumanizes people and treats them like dirt. The UFC is a billion dollar company and until the top 5 draws are making more than 1 million per fight they will have reason to complain (I am aware of BJ's dated comments so just don't bother with that).

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'm kinda torn between this issue.

I think you have to feel for the fighters. The top guys probably train harder than most other athletes year round. Most fighters that aren't the big draws can make anything from $5000 a fight to $1500. That's really not enough to live off of. Yes there are sponsorship money, but how much do you really get from a company like condom depot? I'm sure bud light isn't calling Shannon Gugerty anytime soon.

On the other hand I also understand where the UFC is coming from. Look at a promotion like affliction that tried to pay their fighters realistic purses. I think people have to be realistic in how much the UFC actually makes. Put in the cost of production, licensing, marketing and future expansion, and you can realize that they really can't pay their non-top guys top dollar. As much as UFC and dana are easy targets for negativity, there is no denying that their business model has taken UFC to heights that was not even imagined say 5-10 years ago. Remember, UFC has been this successful without any backing from a fortune 500 company (except maybe bud light) or any network deals. They don't have the resources of an NBA or NFL or even an NHL.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
nicely said but the superstars are already making millions per fight. Lesnar made 6 million for UFC 100 and GSP probably makes 2-4 mil per fight, You need to take into account the PPV contracts that most champs/superstars have.

if you sell more then 380k ppvs, you get $3 for every 1 person if you have a similar structure to Randy's, which I am sure the high profile athletes like GSP and Lesnar have.

I forgot the exact number for ufc 100 but this is how it went for Lesnar...

250,000 +250,000(win bonus)
1.6mil x $3

·
"I
6,923 Posts
100k is a a fair amount of money, I agree. But there are a few things behind their complaints:

-100k is nothing in comparison to the stars of any other athlete in the big leagues, Jeter, Crosby, Mayweather, Bryant, Manning and certain wrestling stars(e.g. Cena). When the UFC is selling millions of PPV's getting paid as much as a plumber or electrician is insulting.

-100k is nothing when you are putting your physical wellbeing on the line in front of sold out crowds. Getting punched in the head gives you long term brain damage and fighters feel there should be more compensation for the detrimental health effects.

-100k is nothing when Dana is padding his pockets with cash, his house has an arcade in the basement. He has ferrari's, private jets and a mansion and some fighters are struggling to eat while sleeping on friends' couches.
Again, let me reiterate that his is ~UFC 50, merely 20 events after their first SANCTIONED event (UFC 28). That's not a whole bunch of time to build what is essentially a new sport that's had a smear campaign run on it over the past year or two by a high profile senator. The UFC itself wasn't making much money so I don't see how someone can really expect the fighters to.

·
"I
6,923 Posts
Okay, I'm going to spell this out one more time and see if you get it because people are obviously misconceiving what's happening.

This incident happens between UFC 47 and 48 (BJ "was scheduled" to fight in K-1, he did so between these two events.

This means, at the time, the UFC had 17 or 18 sanctioned fights in the USA (29 was in Japan, 38 was in England) spanning just over 4 years. That's hardly enough time for the UFC to become a massive marketing machine like it is now. TUF1 didn't happen until a year later and that's considered the big turning point for when the UFC stopped hemorrhaging money and started to actually make it.At this point, Dana did NOT have 6 Ferrari's. At this point, BJ was pretty much making the top of what Dana could conceivably pay fighters.

Also, keep in mind that the man who made K-1 (in 1993 K-1 was founded, they never had a problem with sanctioning), Kazuyoshi Ishii, had founded a previous highly successful combat sport in Japan called Seidokaikan, so he had the leverage from that when starting K-1 along with it being in Japan, a country much more engrossed with martial arts than the USA. With K-1 having (technically) a 13 year jump money wise on the UFC and being in a market that is much more inclined to accept it, it could afford to shell out some cash.

·
Homicidal Maniac
6,197 Posts
Dana White has 6 Ferrari's. How many do the mid level fighters have or even the majority of the top fighters?
um the head guy of a company is always going to have more then the employees, that high up the corporate ladder money drops significantly each teer you move down, so to complain what dana makes to what fighters makes is ridiculous IMO, of course he is going to make a crap ton more

·
To the death George
2,306 Posts
as much respect and admiration i have for Dana, i do believe he has this side to him, if something doesnt go as he wanted you can see he gets really pissed off and says a lot of things he doesnt mean.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts