2:55 > Penn - Stright Right
2:39 > Edgar - Jab
2:23 > Edgar - Jab
2:15 > Edgar - Leg Kick
1:56 > Penn - Defends Takedown attept
1:10 > Penn - Lands quick double hook
0:57 > Penn - Stright Right
0:51 > Penn - counter left hook
0:41 > Penn - Hard Jap (knoked Edgars head back)
0:32 > Edgar - Right hook to the body
0:17 > Penn - Counters Frankies leg kick (checked) with a nice Jab
0:11 > Penn - Knee to the body from clinch as edgar escapes clinch
0:08 > Edgar - High Kick lands (causes swelling under BJ's eye)

Very close round would not like to call it, Edgars movement was good so I would edge Octagon control in his favor, Penn did dominate the round for the final 2 mins after been very even for the first half, the final flash kick by edgar was the most telling shot of the round which came from nowhere very late when Penn was looking to be in full control and looked to of figured Edgars movement out. if ever there was a reason to score a draw for a round this is it, if not for the final kick by Edgar which did casue damage it would be a clear 10/9 round to BJ, but as is its a very grey round. but would give the round in favor of the champ, 10/9 BJ but very close and debatable round, justifed maybe by the fact that BJ's striking was more accrate throughout the round and BJ evaded more shots during the time gaps.

Will complete this another time but its 4am here and am to tired to continue with this analysis, Round 2 coming soon

·
Registered
211 Posts
See i think octagon control is something totally differant. Imo BJ Penn had the octagon control. BJ was in the middle of the Octagon the whole time, pressing forward, while Frankie was moving in and out so he could take minimal damage. The guy chasing down the other guy is the one who is in control of the Octagon.

Either way this fights done and over with. Statistically BJ won the fight. The judges gave it to Edgar. There will in an instant rematch.

BJ Penn will win the 2nd fight, just like he wont the 1st fight. But he will finish it this time. Sub 3rd round.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See i think octagon control is something totally differant. Imo BJ Penn had the octagon control. BJ was in the middle of the Octagon the whole time, pressing forward, while Frankie was moving in and out so he could take minimal damage. The guy chasing down the other guy is the one who is in control of the Octagon.

Either way this fights done and over with. Statistically BJ won the fight. The judges gave it to Edgar. There will in an instant rematch.

BJ Penn will win the 2nd fight, just like he wont the 1st fight. But he will finish it this time. Sub 3rd round.
the way I saw it was that Edgar used the octagon more effectively Penn was in the centre in that round you are correct, but Edgar always new where he was and used to Octagon wisely to move and evade and keep Penn away while at the same time using his speed to keep working and stay aggressive with his attacks. Penn was to sharp still however in this round, hence I would of scored it 10/9 to Penn which for the record having just watched the reply has changed my opinion from watching it live on the night where I thought Edgar won this round which I had down as a 49/46 win Edgar, just changed to 48/47 Edgar, will be interesting to see if after watching the rest of the fight again I start to think maybe Penn should have won, but will have continue that tomorrow.

·
Registered
147 Posts
the way I saw it was that Edgar used the octagon more effectively Penn was in the centre in that round you are correct, but Edgar always new where he was and used to Octagon wisely to move and evade and keep Penn away while at the same time using his speed to keep working and stay aggressive with his attacks. Penn was to sharp still however in this round, hence I would of scored it 10/9 to Penn which for the record having just watched the reply has changed my opinion from watching it live on the night where I thought Edgar won this round which I had down as a 49/46 win Edgar, just changed to 48/47 Edgar, will be interesting to see if after watching the rest of the fight again I start to think maybe Penn should have won, but will have continue that tomorrow.
I watched the fight 4 times already and didnt see Edgar being aggressive. I saw Edgar coming in and getting punched in the face and running away. The truth is BJ didnt lose this fight but he didnt go out winning it as well. Usually if the fight is close the champ gets the win especially with the way Edgar fought. He didnt beat the champ he just bounced around the ring. Using the ring doesnt win you the belt. Sorry but Edgar doesnt deserve to wear that belt and the 50-45 score was ridiculous.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts