Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Who do you think won this fight?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
I eat babies
7,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the fight is on tonight on UFC Unleashed. Everyone watch it carefully and cast your vote...who do you think truly won the fight??? There's been a lot of talk in the last couple days, some people think BJ won, some people think GSP won. Don't cast your vote until you watch the fight again. Watch carefully!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Round 1: B.J. Penn
Round 2: Georges St. Pierre
Round 3: Georges St. Pierre

That's what I think of the fight. But damn, like everyone has been saying that was a super close fight. It could've seriously gone either way but I voted for GSP.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Maybe if they had a different scoring system where they scored the fight as a whole and not by wins the most individual rounds Penn would have won. But as it is I think GSP won it.

·
The American Psycho
6,946 Posts
I think BJ Penn won that fight! BJ did the most damage! GSP got him on the ground several times but really couldn't do anything! BJ nearly had him in a submission the final minute of the round! At least that's my spin on things!

·
Crazy Kicker
957 Posts
u can't complain too much. i mean they both got there shot's at the belt. and that what they wanted

·
LethalLLama
106 Posts
screenamesuck said:
Alright....

First round-Penn
Second-GSP

Now the third could have been either one of them. GSP had two take downs and Penn had one, but Penn also had that submission attempt at the end and kept busy with things like the heel kicks. I honestly couldn't pick a winner.
I see this the same way I really see it as a draw or in this case it was a SPLIT
DECISION...:confused:

·
Banned
2,317 Posts
GSP took the last 2 rounds because he got takedowns, he did nothing with his takedowns, had horrible offense, and looked like he got his ass kicked.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Damage can't really be used as a measure to judge a fight. Different fighters take damage more easily than others. If you're gonna call it that way, then Florian beat Sherk too...That's why fights are judged on takedowns, shots landed, submission attempts...and just keeping the fight moving overall.

·
Registered
540 Posts
A split decision was ridiculus! I rember the last time I saw the fight before last night was when it was live and at that point I was a little sceptic over who won but watching it now its as clear as day that GSP won. Yes GSP's face wasnt looking to good but he kept fighting and definatly took rounds 2 and 3. How did the judge give any round besides 1 to BJ?

·
Registered
80 Posts
GSP lost the first round, but then he took the fight to Penn. GSP dictated (not dominated, dictated) the course of the fight. Penn reacted to what GSP did. Penn was never the aggressor; GSP was.

·
Registered
794 Posts
thevarsmolta said:
Damage can't really be used as a measure to judge a fight. Different fighters take damage more easily than others. If you're gonna call it that way, then Florian beat Sherk too...That's why fights are judged on takedowns, shots landed, submission attempts...and just keeping the fight moving overall.
Did u even read the one line.....Under UFC rules GSP won. The damage part is obviously not a way of scoring an official UFC fight....its a comment dude.

·
Registered
52 Posts
thevarsmolta said:
The smartest post in this thread...
GSP showed tremendous heart in there, and came back to win while down and with a swollen eye and bloody nose. Penn showed his ring rust, or just lack of either cardio training and/or proper diet, dont give me any of this genetics horse shit. To me, he belongs in 155, and it showed in his last two fights. GSP did what he had to do to secure the win, and he deserves the win.

·
I eat babies
7,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just can't understand how you can win a fight simply by takedowns. I don't like that. I've said it a hundred times. It's just like the Bonnar/Rashad fight. Just cuz you can take someone down doesn't mean your a better fighter, it just means you are good at take downs and that you are physically stronger than your opponent. If you can't do any damage after a takedown, then how can a takedown be scored in your favor? It doesn't make sense. Wow he took him down...big deal. He still didn't win the FIGHT. Maybe a takedown contest but this is a fight and BJ beat GSP up and GSP did NOT beat BJ up.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I watched the fight again last night.

I think GSP definitely won the fight.

GSP looked worse because of the eye poke and tapped nose.

I thought GSP showed great composure after the eye poke. His eye was bleeding and he just kept going. If it wasnt for the eye poke I think he might have won the first round as well. Rounds 2 and 3 were definitely GSPs.

·
Registered
80 Posts
WouldLuv2FightU said:
I just can't understand how you can win a fight simply by takedowns. I don't like that. I've said it a hundred times. It's just like the Bonnar/Rashad fight. Just cuz you can take someone down doesn't mean your a better fighter, it just means you are good at take downs and that you are physically stronger than your opponent. If you can't do any damage after a takedown, then how can a takedown be scored in your favor? It doesn't make sense. Wow he took him down...big deal. He still didn't win the FIGHT. Maybe a takedown contest but this is a fight and BJ beat GSP up and GSP did NOT beat BJ up.
But after the first round, BJ Penn didn't do any damage either. All he did was defend against GSP - so how can you score those rounds for BJ Penn?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts