Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this video where BJ definitely says he wants to fight again right away.

http://www.bjpenn.com/video/bj-talks-book-tour-and-rematch

Doesn't even seem to matter to him if its for the belt, just wants to fight. But the UFC wants him to wait 4 months. An earlier video also had him saying 4 months is too long but now it seems like the UFC has got him to agree to wait.

After BJ beat Florian in August he said he wanted a fight in October, but they didnt schedule him until December. Then after beating Diego, BJs trainer said they wanted to fight as early as February, but the UFC wanted to save him for 112 in April.

Seems like by caring more about their schedule the UFC is keeping top guys who want to fight more often from doing so. Is this just smart business or are they screwing over the fans?

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
The UFC is going to schedule his fights where and when they need him. It's a case of what is best for the UFC or smart business.

It really doesnt matter what he wants, or the fans for that matter.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
It is mostly a problem with matchmaking they book 3-4 months out. It is a problem not only for a vet like BJ who wants to fight more before he retires but for prospects like Bones who should be having fights more often to gain experience.

·
Registered
603 Posts
The UFC is going to schedule his fights where and when they need him. It's a case of what is best for the UFC or smart business.

It really doesnt matter what he wants, or the fans for that matter.
If I was BJ, and I wasn't concerned about having the best Lightweight belt, i'd fight a few others like Maynard, Sotiropolous, Diaz etc until contract is up, then jump ship to strikeforce and fight Melendez and AOKI, so that he can say he thought all the greats of his era.
Although he pretty much has already,lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts