Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lightweight ex-champion BJ Penn won't get any help from his employer in selling his new book.

This week saw the release of Penn's Why I Fight; The Belt is Just an Accessory, written with Dave Weintraub, but the Ultimate Fighting Championship's leader seems to have some issue with it. SI.com spoke to UFC President Dana White:

"White told SI.com that after he became aware of the book, he approached Penn and Penn family lawyer, Gary Levitt, with a question: "Why would you put out a book that is 90 percent not true?"

"I asked him why he would write lies in there and he swore to me that he didn't write it or read it," White said. "So did Gary. If today they are saying they didn't say that, then I feel sorry for them."

White did not give SI.com any specific examples of inaccuracies in the book, but Weintraub accused UFC of pressuring his employer, Exit 9 Films, to release him. Exit 9 has done some work for UFC's website and DVDs.

"I'm very happy I wrote the book but I'm also very disappointed the UFC decided to force my employer to cut me loose," Weintraub told SI.com.
http://content.usatoday.com/communi...-penns-new-book-90-not-true-dana-white-says/1

·
Registered
773 Posts
This is going to get messy real fast,

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
well this is very interesting. When I saw BJ on fox talking about the book, I thought he would be more involved into it and I am really glad I didnt end up buying it.

I wont be surprised if this causes some type of outbreak from BJ fans or just MMA fans wanting to read about a fighter.

·
Registered
773 Posts
if bj said anything critical of the ufc then that would cause white to crap himself and go all defensive

·
Administrator
15,571 Posts
BJ's book probably has more real things in it than fake, which is why Dana says it's fake. A lot of shrude things happens behind the scenes I am sure, and probably a lot of that is inside his Book, and Dana wants to downplay the realism of it.

Of coruse, he COULD be lying 90% of the time, but, yeah, I doubt it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
thats crazy, bj should write his own book like tank abbott is actually doing. wow i was going to buy it too but when he lost to frankie edgar i got soooo pissed off i canceled the order on amazon lmao!!!! BTW does anyone know when tank abbotts book comes out? that should be full of some great and funny stories.

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
I'm curious what isn't true, but yeah this is going to get ugly if I had to guess.

Btw. I like everyone jumping on the band wagon and writing a book after Forrest.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Almost all books are written like this. Usually the writer interviews the subject and then sort of fills in the blanks. It wouldn't lead to 90% being false though as usually the details are at least what the subject says they are.

The best auto-biographies are when the subject is very hands on or like Mick Foley writes it themselves (which is very rare).

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
I am guessing the book gets ugly with BJ talking about vacating the WW title and leaving the UFC to fight in Japan.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.