Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realise that there was a thread a while ago created about the book, but after finishing reading it, i feel the need to create a fresh thread about the book.

First thing id like to say is, whether you love or hate BJ Penn, i really think this book is a must buy if you are a fan of MMA. It goes in depth into what really goes on inside a fighters head, what really happens behind the scenes, and answers and explains a lot of controversial points in BJ's career.

There are some things in the book that actually shocked or (maybe a strong word) but surprised me about certain characters in mma, kenny florian and GSP being two of them. The book also explains to me what kind of guy Dana White really is all about.

Any ways, it really is a brilliant book, and if you are a fan of MMA, you should pick it up asap!

·
Roll Tide Roll
7,603 Posts
OK OK OK I take that back is BJ complaining in this??? Because if he is I will pass but if he is putting people on blast I might reconsider I just dont want to read BJ whine the whole book

·
Registered
597 Posts
I realise that there was a thread a while ago created about the book, but after finishing reading it, i feel the need to create a fresh thread about the book.

First thing id like to say is, whether you love or hate BJ Penn, i really think this book is a must buy if you are a fan of MMA. It goes in depth into what really goes on inside a fighters head, what really happens behind the scenes, and answers and explains a lot of controversial points in BJ's career.

There are some things in the book that actually shocked or (maybe a strong word) but surprised me about certain characters in mma, kenny florian and GSP being two of them. The book also explains to me what kind of guy Dana White really is all about.

Any ways, it really is a brilliant book, and if you are a fan of MMA, you should pick it up asap!
so now that you brought it up..... what exactly surprised you about Kenflo and gsp?????

·
Banned
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
`I didnt want to tell you guys about the florian and gsp stuff, i wanted you you to buy the book and read for yourself, but i'll spill the beans.

Before the GSP/Penn 2 fight, kenny florian had been in contact with one of BJ's trainers at the time, who also helped out Kenny. Kenny said to BJ's trainer (i forget his name) a couple of weeks before the fight; "I hope BJ kicks that greasing GSP'S ass, hes a greaser just like Rodger Huerta is"

After the fight, BJ's team wanted to seek legal action about the whole greasing incident and wanted references from other fighters who had thought the same. Kenny Florian then completely denied to the media and to others that he ever said any thing about GSP greasing. He then started talking shit about BJ after he had trained with BJ and they had been friends in the past.

I just didnt expect that from Florian, seems quite sly,

About some of the GSP stuff. The prime time show for example. BJ said that he had mad respect for GSP and had been told by White to hype the fight up as best as possible on the prime time show. So BJ's camp contacted GSP's before filming and told them that BJ would talk a little trash and say some thiings to hype the fight up and that GSP would do the same. It ended up BJ was the only one who talked shit and GSP stayed quiet and wanted to look like the good guy.

Lots of other stuff in there too. the book isnt BJ whining, or bitching or any thing like that, its just some good insight and explanations as to what really goes on behind the scenes.

Basically Dana White is just a greedy bitch who is just all about money and the UFC hype machine.

Also, i was always fascinated with how BJ made history being the first american to win the BJJ championships in just 3 years. The book really goes into detail and describes his entire experience of it, its great.

·
Banned
439 Posts
While I'm sure the book is interesting and gives some insight into a fighter's world/life, I'd take what BJ (or whover writes a book about him/herself) with a grain of salt. There's always 2 sides to a story and the truth is somewhere in the middle.

·
Banned
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After BJ beat Matt Hughes, Dana was offering BJ half the amount that he was paying matt hughes. Bj just wanted to be payed fairly, how can a guy he just beat, be getting payed more than him.

Dana told BJ that he had to come into the octagon in front of an audience and apologise in front of everyone for wanting to fight in japan. BJ obviously thought this was ridiculous and quoted Dana as thinking he was vince mcmahon in the wwe, lol.

BJ, then left to fight in japan, where they were providing BJ with three times the amount the UFC were offering him.

Dana white called BJ on the phone and said along the lines of; You mother ******* traitor, mother fucker, you are never coming back to the UFC ever again. Showing his true colours.

Dana is a dick head.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
It's an interesting read but you can't take it as the gospel truth.

To start with BJ didn't write the book. It was ghost written by David Weintraub. BJ would tell him some stories over the phone. Weintraub would write it up and BJ would proof read it. Guaranteed some things get lost in translation. BJ has admitted some of the stories are embellished a bit.

It's also only BJ's point of view. He's biased. We all are.

·
Registered
963 Posts
ha figures gsp would find a way to bring up the whole greasing thing, i bet hes haunted by dreams of vaseline every night

what he said about dana doesnt surprise me at all, i mean its pretty obvious that hes more of a business man than mma fan

·
Registered
585 Posts
`I didnt want to tell you guys about the florian and gsp stuff, i wanted you you to buy the book and read for yourself, but i'll spill the beans.

Before the GSP/Penn 2 fight, kenny florian had been in contact with one of BJ's trainers at the time, who also helped out Kenny. Kenny said to BJ's trainer (i forget his name) a couple of weeks before the fight; "I hope BJ kicks that greasing GSP'S ass, hes a greaser just like Rodger Huerta is"

After the fight, BJ's team wanted to seek legal action about the whole greasing incident and wanted references from other fighters who had thought the same. Kenny Florian then completely denied to the media and to others that he ever said any thing about GSP greasing. He then started talking shit about BJ after he had trained with BJ and they had been friends in the past.

About some of the GSP stuff. The prime time show for example. BJ said that he had mad respect for GSP and had been told by White to hype the fight up as best as possible on the prime time show. So BJ's camp contacted GSP's before filming and told them that BJ would talk a little trash and say some thiings to hype the fight up and that GSP would do the same. It ended up BJ was the only one who talked shit and GSP stayed quiet and wanted to look like the good guy.

Lots of other stuff in there too. the book isnt BJ whining, or bitching or any thing like that, its just some good insight and explanations as to what really goes on behind the scenes.

Basically Dana White is just a greedy bitch who is just all about money and the UFC hype machine.

Also, i was always fascinated with how BJ made history being the first american to win the BJJ championships in just 3 years. The book really goes into detail and describes his entire experience of it, its great.
I don't know if I agree with BJ on everything I just think its more of a case of the sour grapes . I haven't heard anyone claim GSP greases other than him . Maybe GSP just sweats to much I mean that is possible. As for GSP not talking trash...does he ever talk trash?

As for Dana White...I can't blame him for wanting more money for the company, in the long run it will be better because in the future fighters will get paid more and more.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Gives me a whole new perspective on Baby J...

So he's actually a good "company man" just doing what the boss tells him to do (trash talk his opponent), and GSP, the "good guy" defied order to promote the fight the way Dana F'in' White demanded. Interesting.

As far as greasing, the accusations have come from so many fellow competitors, it seems indisputable:

1. Gracies
2. Florian
3. Sherk
4. Serra
5. BJ

...among others. Of course, Sherk was caught as a PED cheat, so, he's hardly mr. innocent.

·
"I
6,923 Posts
After BJ beat Matt Hughes, Dana was offering BJ half the amount that he was paying matt hughes. Bj just wanted to be payed fairly, how can a guy he just beat, be getting payed more than him.

Dana told BJ that he had to come into the octagon in front of an audience and apologise in front of everyone for wanting to fight in japan. BJ obviously thought this was ridiculous and quoted Dana as thinking he was vince mcmahon in the wwe, lol.

BJ, then left to fight in japan, where they were providing BJ with three times the amount the UFC were offering him.

Dana white called BJ on the phone and said along the lines of; You mother ******* traitor, mother fucker, you are never coming back to the UFC ever again. Showing his true colours.

Dana is a dick head.
I'm willing to bet Shogun, Machida, Rashad and Forrest all get paid less than Chuck Liddel. Three of the four beat him, too.

·
Banned
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yea, hes goes on about how the UFC like to market certain fighters and pay them more. He said he had never seen Dana white smiling so much and looking so happy when hughes won the second fight and they wrapped the belt around his waist, he was the all american champion character they wanted to build.

BJ wasnt the one complaining about the greasing so much either. It were his team mates and his family. Plenty of other fighters including kenny florian had accused gsp of it, then later denied it and apparently rodger huerta did it too. Later on, kenny then goes and trains with GSP....BJ said that whether gsp greased or not he wouldnt of won the fight and that he went in with a bad gameplan, he said it was the principle of cheating which he couldnt stand. Like he called out sherk on steroids, BJ wasnt just going to let some thing related to cheating slip. He said he lost a lot of respect for gsp as a fighter after their second fight.

To be honest, i believe BJ, i do think the prime time show and the media played him out to be the bad guy, he also goes in depth about the crafty editing of prime time and tuf to make guys looks good and bad.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts

Nothing new there. REALLY nothing new.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.