Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu and it's submissions are definitely one of the largest parts of MMA today. I was just wondering if people had ?s or weblinks about BJJ that they want to throw out there.

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's all aptitude for performing techniques and guard passing and other essential skills. It probably varies from place to place, but I have always seen rank given after demonstrations of how to execute technique.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
excellent so the first belt you earn is a blue belt if I am reading this correctly. now someone like me I do have a decent amount grappling training though no offical belts in grappling, would they test me to see what I know or just make me start fresh?

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Teachers don't tend to just give belts to students, regardless of how good they are at grappling. Teachers try to make sure that the student has BJJ training and is familiar with the quirks of BJJ, not just with freestyle submission fighting based on BJJ.

BJJ teachers are just like any other kind of martial arts teacher, they think that there way is better than all other ways and, though other styles can be useful, there's is the best. They usually don't take kindly to freestyle grapplers, but it probably depends on the teacher.

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Don said:
good to know, I mean heck I am willing to learn but I do have a feeling I would have no problem with begining students in any style of grappling.
Yeah, I know what you're saying, but you still have to be aware, because some people have fragile egos and training partners are necessary for any kind of grappling. Teachers too.

I don't know how you stack up to beginning BJJ students, but most of the guys that train BJJ are serious about learning self-defense and alot of them also want to train MMA, so it really depends on where you are and who the teacher is.

·
Registered
213 Posts
you guys are luky its very hard to train in north england i train in kick boxing and wrestlin i would love to train a bjj but over here combat training is very limited i have to drive 80 odd miles to to get to my wrestlin gym as it is in anouther city
i would love to learn more submition the only ones i have pretty mutch masterd and can exucute probely is the rear naked choke, ankle lock, cremora. and sometime if i am luky the triangle lock but god that move is arkward. there is not really eny good places to train in mma so i have to pick it up were ever i can its a real uphill struggle for me i bet in america its fuvkin easy there will be gyms all over man

or and ironman you sead in anouther thread that i dont train in mma cos i waasnt aware of the style chuck trained in i can only train in what is on offer there is not good places were i live to have a fighting chance id have to leave everything and move to london it gets me down cos i am a very quick learner and am a ver fast and explosive fighter i know given half the chance some of the bums get on untimate fighter id be able to do well

·
Registered
213 Posts
maybe you are right i have allways liveid in leeds around my freinds and family maybe if i move to london away from everything i could fight more serously it would be like afresh start i might do it fightin is what i want to do there is no future at the rate i am going by the time i am 40 ill be working in a factory or be on the social i need to start the wheels turning

·
Registered
213 Posts
ill keep you guys posted on eny progress i make you never know i may be on ultimate fighter in the future HOPEFULLY!!

·
Registered
213 Posts
that would be sweet as if you would belive me if i was. if i was on the show i would make a statement towards you lot so you would know it was me how cool would that be serously i could tell you all what iss gonna happen before it did as the show is prerecorded

1 - 20 of 41 Posts