Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i mean, if he wins his next 2 or 3 fights (think thats whats left on his SF contract) how would you see him doing in the ufc. I havent seen that much of him to be honest, barring one fight with a laughable cann in bob sapp. but i mean everyones entitled to fight a few bums.

do you see this kid having decent talent ? and what match ups would you like to see him in in his first few as a welcomer to the ufc?

i would like to see him in there after 1 or 2 fights with mir, just to see how he does in comparrison to brock. not for the WWE thing, just because i think their styles are pretty similar from what Ive seen

·
-Raids Into Transylvania-
3,029 Posts
He hasn't proved anything yet so for the moment its impossible to tell, there's talk of him fighting Dave Baptista too, as Scott Coker pointed out on the MMA hour with Ariel Helwani. If that fight happens its just a shameless cash in.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Hmmmm he is bound to be hyped cos people see him as similar to Brock, can't see him doing anywhere near as well as Brock though. I do see him doing ok in the UFC, but by no means great. His GnP doesn't look all that great to me and his stand up is quesionable. We have never seen him on his back or take a punch either so atm he is a complete unknow quantity.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He hasn't proved anything yet so for the moment its impossible to tell, there's talk of him fighting Dave Baptista too, as Scott Coker pointed out on the MMA hour with Ariel Helwani. If that fight happens its just a shameless cash in.
that would be a shame for strikeforce if they go down that road... sure they'll get people watching, but for its credibility, when tyrying to compete with the ufc, its just shamefull

f*k knows how theyre going to get a batista win, hes nothing but a brawler from what ive heard

·
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
9,814 Posts
He has big muscles and a legitimate wrestling background. That's pretty much the beginning and end of his similarities with Brock. I've watched his fights, I've seen no explosiveness, no stand up skills and no gas. They're matching him up with Batista because that's the biggest name he has a chance against. Kimbo should be next, or Pudz.

·
-Raids Into Transylvania-
3,029 Posts
that would be a shame for strikeforce if they go down that road... sure they'll get people watching, but for its credibility, when tyrying to compete with the ufc, its just shamefull

f*k knows how theyre going to get a batista win, hes nothing but a brawler from what ive heard
I wouldn't be surprised if Strikeforce did it, this is the same organization that can't seem to properly pair their top ranked fighters off for battle, the HW division being a prime example, its just becoming farcical at this stage. Overeem's fighting Bigfoot now? Come on...

·
Great Googly Moogly!
1,407 Posts
Lashley would most likely get tooled by all of the UFC's heavyweights aside from any random guy they pick up as cannon fodder. Lashley has zero standup, is extremely slow, and with all those muscles (like oldfan said) he has practically no explosiveness in his movement. He just spear tackles opponents and hopes they fall down, I haven't seen any real technique in his wrestling.

·
Registered
453 Posts
He will inevitably have to deal with alot of comparisons between himself and Brock Lesnar. They have both trodden a very similar path in their athletic lives, both advancing through Amature Wrestling, to WWE and then finally onto MMA.

However, from what i have seen of Lashley, he is a far inferior version of Brock. He actually has quite a different physique from Lesnar, as whilst they are both huge guys, Bobby is built more like a bodybuilder, whereas Brock has more lean, athletic looking muscle. Even though he is huge he doesnt look heavily muscle bound, whereas Bobby does.

His wrestling isnt as good, their college careers arent even comparible. He never showed anything like the level of athleticism Lesnar showed in the WWE, nor has he showed any great promise in beating a few cans.

HOWEVER, he should be cut some slack, and not criticised for his current MMA record. The MMA route Brock took, though it obviously worked out for him, is not one to be recommended. Bobby is actually being much more sensible in taking smaller fights and gradually advancing as his abilities develop. The problem is, in his fights, i havent really seen anything too promising.

If he came into the UFC now, he would be KO'd or Submitted by pretty much everyone. I dont see him doing well EVER, he just doesnt seem to have any vast potential (and he is getting on a bit) but we will be in more of a position to judge this in another 4-5 fights.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Let's be honest Bob Sapp is a joke, tapping to strikes is an absolute bum move.
Lashley could probably takedown most UFC HWs but his GnP is poor, the likes of Nog and Mir could probably sub him and standing he would get KTFO by JDS, Cain, Carwin - maybe even the likes of Cheick and Cro Cop.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
Kongo, if he gets him down, would probably be the only person in the UFC he could beat. Even then I bet Kongo catches him on the way in. Bobby Lashley was custom built for SF. He looks big and mean, doesn't mind fighting lesser opponents, and has no real want to fight the champion. This makes hime easy to put on banners and flyers to help attract watchers without having to get legit talent.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
I think i am in the minority here, but i think he would do decent in the UFC. He has the size, strength and speed to create problems with his wrestling background. He is not as good as Brock Lesnar but who is? I think he could eventually be a top 5 or top 10 heavyweight in the world.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Strikeforce NEED to do Del Rosario vs Lashley - It's a fight that instantly gives the winner a lot of credibility and helps propel them to near the top of the SF ladder without having to chuck them straight in with a big name.

·
Forum "Superhero"
1,487 Posts
not very good i think. his metality of either fighting the champ or fighting cans would not bode well for him in the ufc. he would lose right now to guys like rothwell and ivel.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Currently, I would rank Lashley at or slightly behind Gabe Gonzaga in the HW division, and I'm thinking that GG is perhaps the 8th best HW in the UFC.

·
Registered
428 Posts
hed probably burn out real quick guys like cro cop and jds would probably knock his head clean off his neck, and anyone of the top teir guys would just toy with him. i even think guys like struve and rothwell would work him over hes better off fighting cans in sf

·
The Forum Drunk
9,450 Posts
well the guy is destroying people like bob sapp and wes sims while taking jason guida to decision.

i think this guy could definitely make some big fights before getting brutally destroyed in the ufc.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts