Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
canadian champ
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know you have to what it takes to win. But there has been tons of blaket style, lay and prey fighting going on. It never used to be like this. GSP always goes to decisions. Every strike force fight went the distance. Anderson messing around. Are the fighter's just to well matched? Are the champs just way to dominant and playing it safe? What is going on lately.

·
canadian champ
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Melendez didn't do much. Like he even said in the interview. He stalled for 4 and a half minutes then poured it on. I am just tired of all the grinding style fights. I know "If you don't like it don't watch it." I can see all the negative rep and beaks i'll get from this. I am just tired of it.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
I blame it all on wrestling. :thumb02:

I thought the Mousasi King Mo fight was good, except that they both gassed fast.

Aoki just got outclassed. He clearly isnt the fighter some had said he was. He looks horrible as a striker.

The Hendo fight was going really good then the second round started and it was all down hill till the Mayhem Miller crap at the end.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Wrestling

Dominant wrestling does make for somewhat boring fights unless they translate into a finish. It's the weakest part of mma and probably why they need to look at knees to the head of an opponent. I don't know what the answer is, but it's going to affect viewership in the long run.

I'll watch every time though :thumb02:

·
Registered
101 Posts
I think if there were elbows allowed to grounded opponents Shields would have been able to finish that fight. I don't know how you can consider Shield's fight lay and pray. He was consistently advancing positions. His ground and pound was weak but it wasn't lay and pray.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Was hoping Shields would go for a submission or two, but you could tell he wasn't going to risk losing the dominant position (as his corner was yelling at him). Seems like there is too much to lose these days, so fighters are playing it safe.

If it keeps up though, we'll see a decline in the popularity of the sport in my opinion. Which in turn will affect the fighter's wallet. I think the UFC's bonus structure (fight of the night, knockout, etc) is a good idea but they almost need to make it bigger! Just my opinion.

·
canadian champ
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think if there were elbows allowed to grounded opponents Shields would have been able to finish that fight. I don't know how you can consider Shield's fight lay and pray. He was consistently advancing positions. His ground and pound was weak but it wasn't lay and pray.
Lay and prey is when you lay on a guy for 5 rounds and don't finish him. That's exactly what he did. People where all over evans for not finishing guys. All over GSP cause he hasn't finished anyone in forever. Shield's isn't much diffrent.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Melendez didn't do much. Like he even said in the interview. He stalled for 4 and a half minutes then poured it on. I am just tired of all the grinding style fights. I know "If you don't like it don't watch it." I can see all the negative rep and beaks i'll get from this. I am just tired of it.
The joke is, on the undercard there were quite a few tko/ko's, they just didn't show it live.
Also thought Dan had shields finished twice, but didn't manage to capitalise.
And if it wasn't for a weird ref standup felt Melendez would have finished Aoki as he was definitely stunned.

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
I know you have to what it takes to win. But there has been tons of blaket style, lay and prey fighting going on. It never used to be like this. GSP always goes to decisions. Every strike force fight went the distance. Anderson messing around. Are the fighter's just to well matched? Are the champs just way to dominant and playing it safe? What is going on lately.
It's Pray btw, not Prey. So some fights have gone to the judges lately, that doesn't make them all boring. The last couple events haven't been barn burners, it happens.

·
All Eyez on Me
2,481 Posts
so strikeforce doesnt allow elbows to grounded opponents? this is news to me :confused:

·
canadian champ
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so strikeforce doesnt allow elbows to grounded opponents? this is news to me :confused:
No they don't. They are like the japan rules. But they don't allow knee's. A lot of other organizations want to adapt this. Elbows end more fights by cuts then KO's. So why wreck a good fight with a goofy cut? So they don't allow elbows on the ground.

·
Squirrel Fighting Champ
2,719 Posts
Alot of the discussion has been really good and surprisingly cordial considering its a lay n pray debate! In all honesty, while I'm not a fan of LnP, I recognize it's very effective in the correct hands. Though there are several layers out there. I don't necessarily consider everything GSP does as LnP, he will on occassion go for subs and grind out some GnP which makes him more of a rounded groundfighter.

There is no way in the world I would call what Shields does lay n pray. He's always moving, always working for position, always working for GnP or subs. He's honestly what I would have wished GSP was.

As for no elbows in Strikeforce. I like it in that it helps fights go the distance. I very much dislike it in that it takes away a lot of what makes MMA so significantly different from kickboxing, take away a significant part of the groundFIGHTING portion of groundwork and you lose what makes MMA so important, its natural versatility.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
. I don't necessarily consider everything GSP does as LnP, he will on occassion go for subs and grind out some GnP which makes him more of a rounded groundfighter.

There is no way in the world I would call what Shields does lay n pray. He's always moving, always working for position, always working for GnP or subs. He's honestly what I would have wished GSP was.
If you categorically deny that Sheilds is LnP artist then you have to do the same thing for GSP. GSP does everything you described Sheilds does, go for dominant positions and subs. In fact, despite getting full mount on Hendo for over 5 mins, GSP was closer to finishing Hardy than Sheilds ever was in his fight with Henderson.

In my opinion Sheilds is more LnP that GSP simply because he has no standup whatsoever. At least with GSP there is a chance for ending the fight from the feet.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.