Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys still watch boxing events on PPV? or do you stick to MMA now?

I like watching some boxing matches but seem to be more excited about watching MMA fights these days.

I wrote an article about the rivalry between the sports and threw in a few funny videos of people taking shots at each other's sport.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Randy fight James Toney.

==> Boxing vs. MMA

·
Roll Tide Roll
7,603 Posts
Do you guys still watch boxing events on PPV? or do you stick to MMA now?

I like watching some boxing matches but seem to be more excited about watching MMA fights these days.

I wrote an article about the rivalry between the sports and threw in a few funny videos of people taking shots at each other's sport.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Randy fight James Toney.

==> Boxing vs. MMA
Dont care for watching much boxing...Ill watch it if Im flipping through the channels and see it but I will never buy a boxing ppv

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
Cool article, Jeff. Always a fan, and always enjoy your thoughts.

Personally, I find that most boxers are pretty dull to me. But there are some events that I love to watch.

I'm from Oakland, so I love watching Andre Ward fight. I remember watching him in the Olympics in '04, and I still think he's fun to watch. I love watching Pacquiao, and I have niché guys like Danny Green.

Still, I mostly stick to MMA. Boxing in the modern era is pretty boring. I only watch fights if there's a guy I really want to see or if I'm getting free tickets to a live show, which happens periodically.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I never got into boxing. To me it always seemed crazy to take that many punches to head - I've heard many times that it's far less dangerous in the long run to bareknuckle box because that causes only flesh wounds as opposed to the life threatening injuries caused by being hit hundreds of time in a fight.

Anyways, as SOON as I saw MMA I was hooked. The ability to approach an opponent in different ways (boxing, kickboxing, wrestling, grappling, etc.) is so interesting to me.

So no, I've never purchased a boxing PPV event while I rarely miss a solid MMA event. I'm curious: Why did you drop out of the MMA scene? Just decided to train others or what?

·
Premium Member
9,226 Posts
Awesome read as always :)

I myself can see the beauty in boxing, but in some sence the sport has outgrown itself, to many belts, to many egos, to many politics and so on...

In MMA the best in the world are (arguably) fighting in the same place and while I don't like monopolies, I like the simplicity of it all...
And to add MMA is also such an exciting sport, huge variety, so many different skills on display on every single show and not only do we get KO's, we also get submissions! :)

So in short, MMA is heads and shoulders above what boxing is nowadays, at least in my opinion...

I am keeping a close eye on the Super Six though ;)

·
On a Rampage
1,845 Posts
I am converted boxing fan. I used to box amateurs. I still love boxing, but I like mma more. This is why. It has nothing to do with the sport itself. To me comparing the two is like comparing soccer with hockey. The goal of those sports is too score goals just like the goal of mma is to win a fight. I like mma more because of how it's set up. In boxing the titles no longer mean anything. Top fighters never fight each other. Promoters have ruined the sport and make a mockery of it's titles. In mma most of the fights you want to see you will, outside of Fedor vs whoever. Even outside the UFC it's the case. Who are the best four LWs outside of the UFC Melendez, Alvarez, Aoki, Kawajiri. They are all fighting each other. In boxing Aoki would fight six other guys before fighting one of the others, instead of fighting all three. This is why mma is better. This is also why there are few undefeated fighters. Take Mayweather in boxing, he has 45 wins, but only 10-12 of them are against good fighters. Look at GSP, he is 22-2, but 15-16 of his fights are against good fighters. Also another thing is if you watch a boxing PPV you are paying for one good fight. There are rarely good undercards on boxing ppv. MMA cards have multiple good fights on a card. Mixed Martial arts simply puts on better fights.

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
I might watch free boxing if there is nothing on. The only PPV I would order right now is Pacquiao vs Mayweather and only because it looks to be the last major fight left in boxing at least for a long time if not the last ever. Chances are it will never happen though.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Like so many others have said, the dynamic array of techniques, tactics, and strategy involved with MMA is what excites me... the fact a fight can end standing, on the ground via submission, or just a good old fashioned a$$ whoopin' to TKO victory.

I used to love martial arts movies, and the striking was always exciting, but it wasnt until I saw Bas Rutten in his Pancrase fights that I became hooked. Just seeing a guy with his striking ability actually fight guys on the ground and submit them, exposed me to a form of fighting and perhaps to a completely different outlook on fight strategy in general.

I had never seen much grappling, let alone the crazy array of submissions, and once I saw what smaller and perhaps physically weaker opponents were able to do with grappling paired with great strategy and tactics, I really became hooked.

MMA is the closest thing to "Gladiatorial Combat" and as safe a version of "If we put 2 guys into a cage and let them fight with as few limitations as possible, what would happen?" as there is today.

Boxing is just 1 tiny element of the whole of Mixed Martial Arts, and while I can appreciate it as an Art, I have a hard time watching anything less than the elite Artists of Boxing. In otherwords, I'll watch the best of the best fight in boxing, but thats about all I'll watch.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
I like watching the smaller guys fight sometimes on showtime or HBO but I'm not spending money on it. I get disgusted with it and stop watching for long stretches when I see guys being beaten on for several rounds not putting up a fight before it gets stopped. As a pure striking sport K1 Kickboxing right now just shits all over boxing for me especially the heavyweights. Boxing just can't match the excitement and quality of fights being produced.

·
On a Rampage
1,845 Posts
For all you guys who aren't boxing fans, you should watch Devon Alexander. He's a throwback to the golden era of boxing. He has great technique and defense, but he doesn't run. He comes foward a lot like Pacquaio. He's really fun to watch from a technical standpoint. Once again to highlight my biggest problem with boxing, he and Bradley are the best 140lb fighters in the world but there is no plan for them to fight each other.

·
You're not terribly important to me
15,563 Posts
boxing is boring and there are WAY TOO MANY TITLES

1 - 20 of 81 Posts