Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Im 17 years old and planning to become a pro mma fighter, I want to be an elite striker and Im thinking about starting boxing for 2 years and then move and continue Kickboxing so i will be strong with my hands, dodges and movement , should i go straight to kickboxing or should i first learn how to box and then add kickboxing so my boxing will be elite?

·
The Title Guy
16,694 Posts
It would probably be smarter to start with kickboxing because boxing is pretty one dimentional. Kickboxing gives you more of a base that is compatible with MMA. Holly Holm for example while she was a multi-divisional boxing champion originally started as a kickboxer and her MMA matches reflect background considering her title winning strike was a kick.

·
Premium Member
6,342 Posts
I don't know.

All I can think is, if you're learning standup DON'T get a trainer whose background is BJJ or something other than striking.

Even if its a famous BJJ guy like Firas Zahabi. Get a real boxing/kickboxing coach. Not someone who specializes in another art and only part times in what they're teaching you.

·
Premium Member
6,342 Posts
Timothy Johnson worked with "Mayweather boxing" prior to his KO upset of Tyrell Fortune.

Timothy Johnson has been fighting for a long time. That might've been the first time he worked with a real boxing coach.

It can make a huge difference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts