Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
106 Posts
Brandon Vera: "You mess around with Randy, you're going to get your ass whooped."

haha, i like that he isn't taking randy lightly. i don't are how old randy is... he has yet to be broken down. he will keep coming at you and keep grinding the entire round.

i like both fighters so i'm def rooting for a good fight.

"This is my most important fight just because I get to prove to the people around the world that I am one of the top dogs. It's a big fight. A big, big fight. From these last six fights, I've taken away what it takes to be a champ. The drive, the determination, the want and desire. This training camp is different. When I don't want to do the extra round, my body is actually making me go. My mind is tired but my body just keeps going. I don't get it. This is a new thing for me. This is somewhere I haven't been before.

"When they called me for this fight my manager said, 'Brandon, you're going to fight in the U.K. You're going to fight in England.' I'm thinking, 'he is tripping' as I just fought and didn't want to jump right back into a training camp. Then he said, 'Okay, you're fighting Randy Couture.' Damn. You can't say no to fight Randy Couture. You can't. I've got to give more than I ever have before. More than a 100%. More than a 110%. Randy is no slouch. Randy is not slacking. I think I have no choice but to train hard. You mess around with Randy, you're going to get your ass whooped (laughs).

"I just keep thinking about what Randy is doing, ya know? Randy is a soldier. He's been through this shit a long time. I want to make sure I'm doing just as much, if not more. You can't break Randy, so we gotta be ready to get in there and go to war. People always wondered what Brandon Vera at his full potential would look like. I tell you, Mr. Couture is going to bring out every ounce of everything I got. Everything." - Brandon Vera

After the UFC's deliberation about who will headline the Manchester event this Saturday, the promotion settled on Randy Couture vs. Brandon Vera. At first, rumors swirled about Michael Bisping squaring off against Wanderlei Silva. Then there was the chance that Dan Henderson was going to fight Antonio Rogerio Nogueira. Then there was the never-ending saga of Henderson vs. Marquardt.

But on Sept. 14, Couture vs. Vera was officially announced. A FiveKnuckles.com poll showed that out of the three main fights (Couture vs. Vera, Mike Swick vs. Dan Hardy, Bisping vs. Denis Kang), 49% chose the Couture vs. Vera fight.

Nov. 14 will be a big day for both fighters. While a legend of the sport, and one of MMA's most recognizable figures, Couture (16-10) is 0-2 in his last two fights in the past two years - suffering a TKO loss to Brock Lesnar at UFC 91, and a unanimous decision loss to Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira at UFC 102. Vera (11-3) has gone 3-2 in his last five fights since the beginning of 2008, winning the last two, against Mike Patt at UFC 96 and Krzysztof Soszynski at UFC 102.

UFC 105 will be televised on Saturday, Nov. 14 on Spike TV, beginning at 8 p.m. EST.

source: Brandon Vera: "You mess around with Randy, you're going to get your ass whooped."

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
i also like both fighters,coture is a legend a vera is awsome fighter,so this fight will be great,so the best man gonna win..

·
CoutureCop
6,091 Posts
He isn't taking Randy lightly for sure. However, he might be psyching himself out too much. It reminds me of GSP vs. Hughes 1. Throughout the countdown, Vera repeatedly praised and idolized Randy, and that might come out come fight night.

·
KO artist
5,552 Posts
He isn't taking Randy lightly for sure. However, he might be psyching himself out too much. It reminds me of GSP vs. Hughes 1. Throughout the countdown, Vera repeatedly praised and idolized Randy, and that might come out come fight night.
Good catch, repd. I actually notice this a lot too... Sylvia vs Fedor was also a very good example. At the other extreme is disrespecting your opponent or taking him too lightly, which gets your ass kicked even worse. IMO it's best to show respect but keep it low and treat them like just another fighter.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Good catch, repd. I actually notice this a lot too... Sylvia vs Fedor was also a very good example. At the other extreme is disrespecting your opponent or taking him too lightly, which gets your ass kicked even worse.
Ala Lesnar v Herring

I think Vera is psyching himself out and will be too caught up in the moment. That he is fighting the legend himself, Randy Couture. This is going to be a UD for the Natural.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Brandon "The Joke" Vera.... I can't take this guy seriously. Talking about getting the HW and the LHW belt at the same time. He can't even get one. He's all hat no cattle.

·
Curitiba Food and Liquor
16,175 Posts
Maybe it's some type of reverse psychology. "Randy is a tough mofo, but I can take him" kwim?

·
CoutureCop
6,091 Posts
Maybe, but I don't see it happening. The only thing Vera has over Couture is striking. Everything Couture has over Vera he has way over him. Basically, unless Vera catches Randy and drops him, Randy is going to make Vera hate the canvass.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Maybe, but I don't see it happening. The only thing Vera has over Couture is striking. Everything Couture has over Vera he has way over him. Basically, unless Vera catches Randy and drops him, Randy is going to make Vera hate the canvass.
Agreed and even at that Randy's dirty boxing is fantastic, so clinching may not be a good idea for Vera.

·
I eat babies
7,647 Posts
Agreed and even at that Randy's dirty boxing is fantastic, so clinching may not be a good idea for Vera.
Yea but Vera is kinda dumb sometimes. I remember I was at the event where he fought Tim Sylvia and everyone was booing Tim for being boring and leaning on Vera the whole time but no one seemed to noticed that even though Vera was getting manhandled in the clinch, it was HIM who kept initiating it. I wouldn't be surprised if Randy dirty boxed the shit out of him in the clinch, and Vera keeps coming back for more.

Also, I agree with Curly.

·
Resident Drunk
3,716 Posts
I love Randy and loved him for the longest time. I remember really being a fan of his after he fought Pedro for the first time and all the other wars he's had but something tells me Brandon Vera is going to win.

I'd be willing to sig bet you all that Randy loses this fight, even though I want him to win!

·
Curitiba Food and Liquor
16,175 Posts
Yea but Vera is kinda dumb sometimes. I remember I was at the event where he fought Tim Sylvia and everyone was booing Tim for being boring and leaning on Vera the whole time but no one seemed to noticed that even though Vera was getting manhandled in the clinch, it was HIM who kept initiating it. I wouldn't be surprised if Randy dirty boxed the shit out of him in the clinch, and Vera keeps coming back for more.

Also, I agree with Curly.
I can only hope Randy busts out his legendary dirty boxing.

·
Fruits & Vegetables
2,580 Posts
I love Randy and loved him for the longest time. I remember really being a fan of his after he fought Pedro for the first time and all the other wars he's had but something tells me Brandon Vera is going to win.

I'd be willing to sig bet you all that Randy loses this fight, even though I want him to win!
I'll take the sig bet!

Yay, my first sig bet...how exciting!

Reactions: swpthleg

·
Resident Drunk
3,716 Posts
I'll take the sig bet!

Yay, my first sig bet...how exciting!
Sweet, I'll pm you what I'd want you to write and vice versa if I lose and put my foot in my mouth so to speak. lol

Edit:
Lets just keep the sig on until UFC 107 if that's fine, since that would be a month.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts