Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Huge news. Massive. Just received an email from a very reliable source from Russia that Fedor will be running for a congress seat in Russia for the pro-Kremlin party 'United Russia'. The party is dominant in the country and holds around 80% of the seats in the senate and Fedor will be representing his region. That's a fact. Just wait for the official announcement which will probably come at the end of this week if not in the next few hours. Now the accompanied rumor is that after Fedor fulfills the last two fights in his Strikeforce contract, he will retire from MMA.

I know all of this sounds bonkers. Trust me, even I can't believe I'm writing a 'Fedor retirement' article on a Thursday night. You're skeptical, I know. Keep in mind that we did break the news that the winner of Josh Koscheck vs. Paul Daley will be the new TUF 12 coach. We even got it right when we broke the news that Shaquille O'Neal is an unlockable character in UFC Undisputed 2010.

Once the news breaks (and I'm absolutely sure it will, perhaps within hours), remember where you read it from first.
http://http://middleeasy.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2316:breaking-fedor-will-run-for-senate-and-may-retire-at-the-end-of-his-strikeforce-contract&catid=36:fighters

·
.:Jeet Kune Do:.
5,684 Posts
I don't care who he fought he goes down as the G.O.A.T. in the history of MMA...

·
Registered
292 Posts
His Russian mobster friends are trying to expand their empire.

This would suck for MMA. I bet he doesnt even challenge for the SF title.

·
NO. 1 *BONER*
7,727 Posts
I am not buying this!
There are other famous fighters who entered into politics: Paquaio just recently and Vitali Klitscho, who ran for mayor of kiev and was second.
Also Klitschko become a leader of the political party Ukrainian Democratic Alliance for Reform in April 2010 and he is still fighting, beat Albert Sosnowski for the WBC title.

So even if Fedor goes into politics...he could still fight.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I absolutely love Fedor, but have to say that it would be extremely disappointing to see him leave the sport without having competed in the UFC. While I'm a fan, I don't think he'd be able to win against guys like Lesnar or Carwin, and would have a heck of a time with Cain and JDS.

Regardless, that's why they fight and I think he needs to solidify his legacy by having fought every major contender/champion in the game.

·
It's a league game, Smokey
8,258 Posts
I don't care who he fought he goes down as the G.O.A.T. in the history of MMA...
What if he loses to Werdum and then Ubereem? Won't happen, at least not the Werdum part, but if pigs flew would you still toss him the GOAT?

Anyways smart move on Fedors part. He has been fighting for a long time and beaten many top guys, gone undefeated except for the little blemish. It would be very smart to retire and maintain his legacy rather than see if he can hang with 265 pound wrestlers imo.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a feeling that this is true.
He developed friendship with Putin.
He's also a thinking fighter, I can see that he wont spend the rest of his life fighting (he's 34 now). His mind must be starving to be fed. Not that I like politics.

I have a mixed feeling about this though, whatever route he will choose good luck to him. He's still the GOAT for me and I think he will still engage in ***** competition.

But damn, 2-3 more MMA fights is just to soon. Hope this is not true.

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
I don't think it really matters at this point. I highly doubted that he was ever going to join the UFC and after he fights Allister, assuming he does, what does he have left to do in SF?

He'll certainly go down as GOAT and he deserves eternal respect, but at this point in his MMA career within his current organization and if he beats Allister, he becomes completely maxed out (as far as SF goes).

·
Registered
877 Posts
This seems very likely. It is not uncommun for national icons to go into politics.

We need to remember Fyodor is a huge hero in Russia and had the honour of being among the few Russians carrying the Olympic torch on its route to Beijing.

Putin has attended several of his latest fights and Fyodor has expressed pro-Russian, patriotic views before.

I would love to see Fyodor against Velasquez, Carwin, Lesnar and Dos Santos, but I realise it is impossible. With a different management and a different president of the UFC or even a different state of the sport of MMA, it could have happened.

But it atleast sounds like he will face Overeem, who is atleast on the same level as the other guys I mentioned.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Fedor Emelianenko is one of 58 candidates named in a Russian internal election primary for the United Russian Party in the Belgorod region, according to M-1 Global officials. The June 25 primary elections are a first step to identifying one candidate to represent the party later in national elections against other party nominees for a seat in the country's regional Parliament.

The 33-year-old Emelianenko was nominated along with other notable politicians, including Belgorod Region Governor Yevgeny Savchenko and Belgorod Senator and State Duma Deputy Andrei Scotch. The world’s No. 1 heavyweight is among 24 new candidates added to the party’s primary ballot in that region this year.

Evgeni Kogan, M-1 Global’s Director of Operations, said Emelianenko was flattered by the nomination, which will in no way interfere with his fight career.

“He will easily be able to do both,” said Kogan via e-mail. “There has never been talk of one replacing the other.”

Emelianenko faces former top five UFC heavyweight Fabricio Werdum at Strikeforce “Fedor vs. Werdum” on June 26 at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif.

Three-time Olympic wrestling gold medalist Alexander Karelin, also nominated by the United Russian Party, is currently a member of Russia’s Parliament.
http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Fedor-Nominated-in-Russian-Primary-Will-Continue-Fighting-24869

Looks like hes gonna keep fighting. i was a little worried there :)

·
Premium Member
4,222 Posts
M-1 Global reveal Fedor Emelianenko plans to retire from MMA after his next two fight

M-1 Global have today dropped the bombshell that WAMMA heavyweight champion, Fedor Emelianenko plans to retire from mixed martial arts following his next two fights with Strikeforce to pursue a career in Russian politics.

The following is taken from the press release, translated by MiddleEasy.com:

“The regional political council of the party “United Russia” approved the list of candidates for internal party elections – the primaries. In the list of 58 candidates. No less than 10 000 United Russia vote will determine the best, and who will receive the first place in the party list in the upcoming October elections in the Belgorod Regional Duma.”

“The list of early voting have 24 newcomers who have never participated in elections to the legislature. One of the achievements was the inclusion in the list not only members of United Russia, but also simply to party supporters and even non-party candidates. This is for example the managing director Combine KMA Ruda Vladimir Tom and CEO JBK-1 Yuri Selivanov. They are not only members of the party, but also by working in obldume fourth convocation, not included in the United Russia Duma faction.”

“Among the most notable candidates, in addition to the deputies (Anatolia Zelikow, Victor Filatov, Vadim Cage, Valeria Skruga, Ivan Kulabuhova, Vladimir Kulikovsky) - a famous athlete Fedor Emelianenko, the new director of Belarusian State Technological University Sergey Glagolev (by the way, non-partisan), director of the Institute of Public and municipal government BSU Alexander Mamatov.”

The piece goes on to state that if he’s successful in pursuing the new career then his involvement in MMA would come to an abrupt halt and that an imminent announcement on his future is expected. Stay tuned to MMABay in the coming hours for more on this story as we get it.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
If it is true, then this really sucks for all the Fedor fans. Even though it is a LONG shot, I have wanted to see Fedor vs Lesnar since he came into MMA. I thought it would happen within the next two years...guess not

1 - 20 of 37 Posts