Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are plenty of bad stoppages, early and late, refs allowing people to lay and pray for to long, missed/false fouls in mma and namely the UFC these days. Anyone who watched the Strikeforce event tonight saw Big John doing what he does better then anyone else in the biz, reffing mixed martial arts contests. I dont know what the UFC's or the NSAC's beef with Big John is, but they need to get over that shit and start letting him ref UFC events again. The man is good. With so few reliable ref's and Dana bitching about bad reffing, why in the hell cant he just get over his bullshit and do whatever he needs to do to bring Big John back?

·
Registered
750 Posts
I think Herb Dean is a great referee too, probably just as good but yeah we do need John back in the UFC again.

ps. The camera's on the referee's is a great idea.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
was not just Big John on form today but everyone who reffed got every decision right imo. I agree the UFC has given to many fighters the freedom to lay and pray for way to long by letting them use excessive amounts of time to "try" to work the ground, best stand against inactive clinching and LnP I have ever witnessed tonight at SF, UFC sure could watch this event and learn a lesson about how a MMA fight should be reffed.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I think Herb Dean is a great referee too, probably just as good but yeah we do need John back in the UFC again.

ps. The camera's on the referee's is a great idea.

As far as the UFC has progressed, I feel that the standard of refereeing has slipped of late, especially with the introduction of Dan MIRAGLA-WHATEVER.
I understand McCarthy and UFC had a fall out, but why did HERB DEAN go? they were both good refs IMO, and UFC would do well to bring them back if at all possible in Big Johns case.

·
The Forum Drunk
9,450 Posts
I do love me some big john.

But herb has become quite the good ref himself. However I would love for dan mergliottagetanotherjob to get hit by a bus and for big john to take his place.

·
Registered
208 Posts
didn't bjg john completely run down the NSAC and accuse them or some shit
I remember he said some stuff, but I thought it was on zuffa and their practices. Then he went to Affliction and did some stuff for them.

Anyone really know? or have some quotes or video

·
Registered
208 Posts
Thing is not all UFC events are in Vegas so why would Big John criticising the NSAC stop him reffing the events in other states?

Dana has said before he has no problem with Big John.
Dana says a lot of things, none that should be taken seriously unless they are about match-making.

I think Big John said some real stuff, Dana didn't like it. Now he doesn't ref on UFC cards. At least that's how Ive perceived it so far. The athletic commission bows to Zuffa, so it wouldn't surprise me.

·
Registered
208 Posts
any news on what exactly was said?
Referee "Big" John McCarthy -- a presence as familiar to MMA fans as bloodstains -- recently spoke to Sportsnet.ca about his attempts to improve the state of officiating in the sport, which currently ranges from good to grossly negligent. The supplemental topic was McCarthy's absence from UFC events, which apparently stems from his involvement as an on-air personality for the Fight Network, where he has made comments some considered to be critical of the UFC.

On his possible return: "That's up to the UFC. That's not up to me. … Dana [White] is the guy who runs the UFC. He has a personal problem with me. That's fine. It's his decision."

Is it really? Referees are recruited, employed and paid by athletic commissions. Those commissions likely are holding off on assigning McCarthy to officiate UFC events because they fear a potential bias (assuming he and White have an acrimonious relationship). But that's not how it should work. By that rationale, White could claim personality conflicts with any referee he's not in favor of and assemble an army of favorable officials by process of elimination.

White has also leveled personal criticisms against other referees, including Steve Mazzagatti. Why aren't they being withheld from his venues? Couldn't it be argued that they'd retaliate by screwing up a fight? And if not, why the concern about McCarthy?

Nevada State Athletic Commission executive director Keith Kizer told ESPN.com that referees should use caution making judgment calls outside the ring. "A referee has to be very careful what he says," Kizer said. "If he's out there criticizing licensees, I would not be surprised if that licensee would have a legitimate objection against that official -- be it a fighter, a manager or a promoter."

McCarthy once had words for the Nevada Commission itself; Kizer refused to entertain the idea that those comments could affect McCarthy's status.

"I saw him at New Orleans at the Association of Boxing Commissions Convention," Kizer said. "Said hello to him. That was about the extent of it, pleasantries."

As it stands, McCarthy doesn't have a license to officiate in Nevada and hasn't applied for one since leaving his on-air role as analyst for the Fight Network. But if the fighters' "best interests" are supposed to be a top priority, I would politely suggest all parties desist with the Mexican-standoff model and let one of the better referees in the game do what he's supposed to.
http://espn.go.com/extra/mma/blog/_/name/mma/id/4410702/ref-mccarthy-discusses-safety-ufc-absence

Here is Big John:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nviBzKjuPrM&feature=player_embedded#!

Well, Ive always respected Big John. Never, In any other sport, could be we see a ref with his popularity. He actually has a lot of good points on MMA.

Dana is a hard headed guy, I would consider him an asshole, so it doesn't surprise me.

·
Banned
820 Posts
The biggest reason I want him back is because he grew up with the UFC. He in my eyes was always as big a part of the UFC as the fighters were.

Reactions: Rygu

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
The refs are decided by the Athletic Commissions not the UFC.

Big John applied for a NSAC license but was told they aren't accepting applications at this time. They have enough refs; his application is "in the queue".

Technically Big John could have been assigned to ref UFC events in several other States that he is licensed in.

He was not selected and I think it is plausible that preferences from the UFC were a factor.

Big John tried spinning his notoriety from the UFC into personal business success and jumped in with the Affliction venture. I don't blame him but White holds a grudge.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
The commissions should assign referees based on performance, because while there are refs blatantly screwing up on the big stage, Big John is apparently sat in the queue. And in the meantime we have to see fighters getting beat unconcious after it should already have been stopped and stood at up the wrong times.

Why is it they don't take performance into consideration? Big John has to be the most consistent ref out there, while some of the guys that always feature in the UFC screw up on a regular basis.

It's ridiculous, I can't see any reason for such irresponsible ref selection.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts