Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just because brock is the champ doesnt mean he's not the underdong
brock has a win over an 45yr old couture in which he had over 70lbs over him, a mediocre heath herring & a win & loss to mir, where as carwin has is 12 & 0 finishing every fight within 3min.

·
I Finish Threads
9,061 Posts
lol, underdong.

anyway, the bookies all have him as a pretty strong favorite. If you're convinced that he is truly the underdog, I'd put some money down on Carwin! :)

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I don't know about underdog. I'd say Carwin has a very very very slight striking advantage in that he's connected with the big shot more often. And I'd give Brock a slight wrestling and clinch advantage. Too close to call for certain. Leaning Brock. But I do think Carwin is the best wrestler Brock's fought to date.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Carwin - 10 Nobodies, an unconvincing win over Gonzaga and a strong performance against Mir

Brock - A nobody, lost to Mir (though dominating the fight), strong performances against Herring, Couture and Mir.

I'd give it to Brock. Neither are particularly well experienced, but Brock probably shades it. Less fights, superior competition. Argue it either way you like.

In terms of wrestling, i honestly think Couture posed more of a wrestling threat to Brock than Carwin does.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I can't be dogmatic about Carwin's wrestling, but a Div. 2 champ is no slouch. I wouldn't mind seeing Couture vs. Carwin if he loses.

I think pushing on a natural 215 pounder should be significantly easier than pushing on a natural 260 pounder (who's 14 years younger). Still think (apart from any dogmatism) Carwin's going to be Lesnar's stiffest wrestling test yet.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I'd give the experience factor to Carwin because he's been in more fights, albiet they all ended pretty quickly. Almost half of Brock's opponents have been Frank Mir. Carwin beat Mir much more convincingly than Lesnar did; Carwin was able to do what Lesnar did in half the time(1st round finish to a 2nd round finish) Mir is the best fighter on both guy's resumes, and Carwin had a much better showing against him than Lesnar did.

Lesnar SHOULD be the underdog for this fight taking into account his lack of fight experience, his illness, and his time away from the ring. However...he's Brock ******* Lesnar man!

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Going to be betting most of my credits on this one. Though real money is a different story. This fight really has no underdong IMO. They are both extrremely tough. Carwin has been in the ring more times and more recently. Lesnar is just a freak of not only nature but science. And they are both titans. I do not think we are going to be surprised by this fight though.

Carwin by KO in the early rounds;
Lesnar by TKO by 2nd-3rd. Slight possibility of Lesnar KOing Carwin in the first couple punches.

·
Banned
525 Posts
I think pushing on a natural 215 pounder should be significantly easier than pushing on a natural 260 pounder (who's 14 years younger). Still think (apart from any dogmatism) Carwin's going to be Lesnar's stiffest wrestling test yet.
Yes, he will be Lesnar's stiffest wrestling test. But, did you forget that Lesnar will be about 25, 30 lbs heavier on fight night. I mean Carwin doesn't even weigh in at the max. Brock has to cut weight to make 265. I do agree that Carwin will be Lesnar's stiffest test. However, the stiffest test still won't be too much of a test. Carwin won't go in there and outwrestle lesnar. Carwin has to get a knockout, cuz he won't get up if Lesnar gets on top of him.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Yes, he will be Lesnar's stiffest wrestling test. But, did you forget that Lesnar will be about 25, 30 lbs heavier on fight night. I mean Carwin doesn't even weigh in at the max. Brock has to cut weight to make 265. I do agree that Carwin will be Lesnar's stiffest test. However, the stiffest test still won't be too much of a test. Carwin won't go in there and outwrestle lesnar. Carwin has to get a knockout, cuz he won't get up if Lesnar gets on top of him.
... except Lesnar said he does not have to cut weight this time... He said he weighed in at 265 couple days ago.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.