Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,052 Posts
Francis Ngannou is rapidly rising but Brock did beat Mark Hunt at UFC 200 and although it was overturned he was an X UFC champion.

So who would you pick Brock or Francis in 2018?

Brock has an iron jaw but doesn't react well to being hit. Do you think Ngannou hits harder than Shane Carwin? I think its close.

I think Brock has the tools to beat him, not seen much of Ngannou of his back, if Brock gets him there I suspect he'll finish the fight. I'm not sure Ngannou would clean KO Brock like he did the Reem, but I can see Brock crumbling and the ref waving it off.

·
Premium Member
5,964 Posts
Brock has an iron jaw but doesn't react well to being hit. Do you think Ngannou hits harder than Shane Carwin? I think its close.

I think Brock has the tools to beat him, not seen much of Ngannou of his back, if Brock gets him there I suspect he'll finish the fight. I'm not sure Ngannou would clean KO Brock like he did the Reem, but I can see Brock crumbling and the ref waving it off.
Carwin's problem was that he didn't pick his shots once Lesnar was on the ground. Carwin punched himself out on Lesnar's forearms, almost not hitting Lesnar's head at all. Then, Carwin's gas tank was completely empty and he was helpless against any offense.

It's not clear that Lesnar can take Ngannou down. Overeem prevented Lesnar's TDs in the clinch being the stronger guy - and Ngannou pummeled Overeem in the clinch (granted, it wasn't Ubereem, but still).

·
Administrator
15,487 Posts
Hard to say. Brock destroyed Hunt in his last fight, and hunt has a lot of power and great striking. Does Frances have Hunt level grappling? I don't know, but Hunt level grappling wasn't enough.

What's crazy is that a part-time fighter in Brock, who has had 1 fight in 7 years, makes the fight interesting. Brock would be the greatest HW of all time if he started MMA earlier and did it full time.

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
Hard to say. Brock destroyed Hunt in his last fight, and hunt has a lot of power and great striking. Does Frances have Hunt level grappling? I don't know, but Hunt level grappling wasn't enough.

What's crazy is that a part-time fighter in Brock, who has had 1 fight in 7 years, makes the fight interesting. Brock would be the greatest HW of all time if he started MMA earlier and did it full time.
This. Sure Francis hits like a truck, but is Francis a more technical striker than Hunt? Better foot work than Hunt? Better TDD? I don't know yet, but Brock was able to avoid Hunt for 3 rounds and wrestle F him. Francis hasn't met anyone who is trying to avoid striking altogether and attempt to GSP you. We'll see how Francis deals with a wrestler IF Stipe goes that route.

·
Administrator
15,487 Posts
Let's not also forget the fact that Francis has an underrated ground game.
Compared to what? To have an underrated ground game, first you'd have to have people saying his ground game isn't good. Nobody even knows what his ground game is like or isn't like, given that he hasn't been on the ground with any top level competition. Is his ground game better than Hunt? Than Couture? Than Mir? Than big Nog? Mir steamrolled Nog on the ground, are you saying his ground game is on Nog/Mir level? Cause Brock s-s-s-s-s-SMASHED Mir on the ground from start to finish.

You say his ground game is underrated, why? Compared to what? Who are we comparing his ground game to? Who has he fought on a high level on the ground? Until we actually see what he can do, there's no overrating or underrating it. It's a bit of a mystery. What we do know, however, is that Brock can SMASH elite level grapplers.

·
Super Moderator
8,052 Posts
Compared to what? To have an underrated ground game, first you'd have to have people saying his ground game isn't good. Nobody even knows what his ground game is like or isn't like, given that he hasn't been on the ground with any top level competition. Is his ground game better than Hunt? Than Couture? Than Mir? Than big Nog? Mir steamrolled Nog on the ground, are you saying his ground game is on Nog/Mir level? Cause Brock s-s-s-s-s-SMASHED Mir on the ground from start to finish.

You say his ground game is underrated, why? Compared to what? Who are we comparing his ground game to? Who has he fought on a high level on the ground? Until we actually see what he can do, there's no overrating or underrating it. It's a bit of a mystery. What we do know, however, is that Brock can SMASH elite level grapplers.
Nobody wants anything to do with Brock on the ground, the blueprint to beat him is on the feet and only engage on the ground if you think you can finish the fight via GNP. Even Cain wanted nothing to do with him on the ground.

Francis has only been at MMA for 4 years although I think he has done some boxing prior to that. Not a cat in hells chance has he developed any kind of ground that would allow him to be competitive against a good grappler. Sorry @kantowrestler but I reckon if Brock were to take him down the fight would be over shortly after that.

·
Premium Member
5,964 Posts
This. Sure Francis hits like a truck, but is Francis a more technical striker than Hunt? Better foot work than Hunt? Better TDD? I don't know yet, but Brock was able to avoid Hunt for 3 rounds and wrestle F him. Francis hasn't met anyone who is trying to avoid striking altogether and attempt to GSP you. We'll see how Francis deals with a wrestler IF Stipe goes that route.
Ngannou is certainly not as technical as Hunt, but he has quite good distance management.

His TDD seems to be solid at least against TDs from the clinch. Lesnar's powerdouble is different of course, so we don't know how Ngannou would deal with that.

What Ngannou has on his side is physical strength. Beside Velasquez wrestling technique, Lesnar has shown to have problems with physical stronger guys like Carwin (who was just too stupid to pick his shots and therefor gassed) or Overeem who ragdolled Lesnar in the clinch. And Ngannou manhandled Overeem in the clinch.

So the question is how Ngannou deals with Lesnar's bullrush powerdouble.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts